[Essay] Snowballing - Why DotA had it right and LoL is still learning

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Charmicarmicarmicat

02-18-2010

While you can shut down carries in both LoL and DotA, the carry from DotA has an easier time making a comeback once people start roaming and ganking, due to the size of the map, gold from creeps, sideshops, TP scrolls, static farming by denying etc.

apocalypse23

02-18-2010

I like the idea of having TPs to prevent early loss of tower. Also, the tower XP should be removed, or at least not be a global (to reduce team snowballing).

Very good points made in earlier posts about the metagame lacking variety, with 5 man roaming/team fights being predominant. A tweak to the bush system might help, for example allowing only 1 champion to be invisible in a small bush, 2 in a large patch, instead of the whole team sitting there to instantly kill anyone passing by. Specializing the champions would also encourage more varieties of game-play, though that would be a large scale and difficult process.

Zenanii

02-18-2010

I'd say that another thing making LoL snowball more is that more champions are strong both early and remain strong late game.

In dota one team was usually slightly stronger then the other because they had more early game heroes. These heroes were extremely potent during the early stages of the game but scaled badly and lost much of their power later on.
Carries in dota were practically obsolete early game but could literally solo the entire enemy team with enough farm.
So a team that had a early game disadvantage could still make a comeback by stalling the game and getting their carries feed.

In LoL all heroes scale, to some degree. AP and CDR allows casters to remain strong even when the game drags on. But hard carries also have a much easier time early on.

Jothki

02-18-2010

Big change in the test realm patch notes, experience for champion kills is going to scale based on the difference in levels. Any thoughts on how that will effect things?

It seems like it's pushing value more towards gold/items than towards experience, meaning that actively farming is likely to be worth more than being present in winning battles. That might change the metagame a bit, someone who's bloated on ganks might be better off using that to dominate a lane rather than running around solo ganking for little benefit.

Charmicarmicarmicat

02-18-2010

Yeah i saw that - Jothki - A definite step in the right direction!

Mylon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

Movement really needs a big nerf. Either make the boots more expensive, lower the speed buffs across the board, or whatever. Stun-snares could be toned down to compensate, since all it should take is getting in range of a hero to take them down. Right now it's all a matter of being able to out-chase or out-run. Because of this fact, boots are the single most important part of any gear setup. No boots = suicide, pure and simple. Games are about interesting choices, and the only interesting choice here is to go 3 speed boots or 2 speed boots.

As a side effect, 5-person balling will be harder at slower movement speeds and will cost more in tower health if done.

I'd also recommend lowering the respawn timer, or perhaps make it fixed regardless of level. Waiting to respawn is unfun and it means lost gold and lost exp, the other part of the one-two punch of the snowball being the gold given to the victor.

Franz Josef

02-25-2010

Just amke the game based on FB wins. Then we could screw this stupid discussion. I never lost a game where i got fed 6 or 7 kills, and i dont use the so-called snowballing-items. Two BF swords snowballs enough imo.

WhitemageofDOOM

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylon View Post
Games are about interesting choices, and the only interesting choice here is to go 3 speed boots or 2 speed boots.
I wish boots didn't exist.
Also there are no choices, get merc treads.

Quote:
I'd also recommend lowering the respawn timer, or perhaps make it fixed regardless of level. Waiting to respawn is unfun and it means lost gold and lost exp, the other part of the one-two punch of the snowball being the gold given to the victor.
60 seconds, no gold/exp for kills :P
Ganks should be about shutting down the enemy hero, not about getting big. Getting big should come from taking and holding PoIs.
Well if i had my way that's what it would be. Not going to happen thou.

Xinoxlx

02-25-2010

New system seems to help as in practice games even when I killed two level 2 bots when I was level 2 as well I didn't even hit level 3.

Charmicarmicarmicat

02-25-2010

Speaking of which, the new exp system feels very positive to me. I believe that a moderate chunk of snowballing has been reduced with one patch, which to me is awesome-