Guide: Ryze, God of Thunder

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Airazor

02-14-2010

Ryze, God of Thunder

This is my solo queue pub stomping Ryze guide, for people who want to rapeface and do ridiculous damage on an extremely regular basis. Iíll tell you right now this wonít work as well at the higher levels, vs competent players or a good premade. However at mid level games, and presuming you have half a brain, you will completely melt every character on the opposing team.

Summoner skills:
Improved exhaust, or ignite Ė good spells that will net you some easy kills

Flash Ė always flash, good for ganking unsuspecting clowns and escaping.

Masteries, I run a 9/0/21 setup and never have any mana problems whatsoever.

Runes: magic pen in the red slots, w/e is your fancy anywhere else. I foolishly bought a truckload of cooldown reduction runes in my scrub days and so that's what I roll.

Skill order:
Iíll just tell you the priorities, because itís easier to remember in game rather than following a list.
No.1: Rune Prison, this spell with get you so many kill steals and kills in general itís not even funny, max it out asap.

No.2: Spell Flux, if you have a nice runebook with magic pen this spell coupled with rune prison can take people to half health in the early stages of a game. Max it out second cause it is the ****.

No.3: Overload, you really only need 1 level of this, at around lvl 4 put a point in and then max out the first two. I donít really put much emphasis on this spell, itís OK at harassing, but when you have a stasis trap that will deal PHYSCOLOGICAL damage, it takes third seat. Also can be used to farm if you really want to.

No.4: Desperate Power, whenever available put points into it. Really do I have to explain how good this ulti is? With a super low cooldown, and bulk AP youíll want to be spamming it regularly.

Now that you know how I build my ryze we will talk about how to melt people. If I was going to be proper about this I would tell you a good starting combo is:

W>R>E>Q

Which it is, I am not going to deny, but in reality when I play ryze it looks something like this:

WRQEQWEQRQERQWEQWRQWERQWEQRQWEQEQWERQWRQWEQWERQWEQ RQWQWERQEWEQDDDDDDDDDDWWWWWQEWRQWEQWEQWEQWEQRQEQEQ EQ-enter-Thou didst not reckon with the might of Thor, knave! -enter-

As long as you land the W you can just about fap off while slamming your head on the keyboard, and the thing you trapped will die, along with anything standing next to it.

Items:

Okay time for some items, it really depends on the skill level of your opponents, if theyíre scrubby skum, or have only a mild case of ******ation.
Essentially I will break it into a couple of groups.

Complete scrub stomping:
1. Soulstealer Ė Rush it
2. Sorcerer boots
3. Rod of Ages
4. Abyssal sceptre
6. Presuming the game has dragged on any further, get a Zhonyas.

Mild case of it:
1. Sorcerer boots
2. Soulstealer
3. Rod of Ages
4. Banshee veil
5. Abyssal sceptre
6. Zhonyas if itís still dragging on

If the team is good, and you have to play more defensively you will want to start like this:
1. Dorans ring x1health pot
2. Sorc boots
3. Rod of Ages
4. Banshee Veil
5. Abyssal sceptre
6. Maybe a rylais, or a frozen heart for some armor, thought I doubt it will reach this point.

Notes:
I have been meaning to try and add a rylais into a build cause I think it would be the win, but I havenít had a chance yet, keep it in mind. Also blue pots are really good for keeping you a deciding factor in the game if you plan on focusing on health/mana.

Getting 10+ stacks on a soulstealer is not hard, and things tend to snowball at around that point so get it early no matter what, itís essential to the raping.

At some point I might add a video of luring idiots into turrets and using rune prison on them, if this guide sees the success it so obviously deserves.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

merc treads > sorc's boots 99% of the time.

Glorianos

02-15-2010

Just went 16-0 with this in normal game, was just destroying their whole team, thanks.

Edit: Went 12-0 second game = )

Rhynocerous

02-15-2010

Pub stomping with Ryze is a simple 4 step plan, simply called "Wreck"

0) Ghost or Flash (only for pro plays)
1) W
2) R
3) E
4) Q (Optional)
5) Add 2/4/6/8/10 to your stack
Repeat steps 1 through 5

Hell, buy boots of mobility and movement speed items.
The only thing keeping you from getting kills is the time it takes for you to get to their team.

Turrets? Dive them.
You can dive turrets at level 1 against bad players.

Orwell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2010

One thing that I will say is if you get the archangel staff Overload will do an extra 300+ dmg if you do it right, rod of ages is something that is OK, but I would recommend it same with banshee veil. Also you might want some type of mana regen. i usually go with Chalice of harmony early on. Otherwise good guide

BlindBanshee

02-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
One thing that I will say is if you get the archangel staff Overload will do an extra 300+ dmg if you do it right, rod of ages is something that is OK, but I would recommend it same with banshee veil. Also you might want some type of mana regen. i usually go with Chalice of harmony early on. Otherwise good guide
^This. Tear of the Goddess is the first item I get both for the mana regen and the damage your max mana adds to Overload. Upgrade it to an Archangel's Staff later and Overload will be doing some great damage. It's still the finisher/harass spell, but the damage is great. Your items should change based on what team you're playing, but my main items are almost always Tear of the Goddess, Sorc Boots/Merc Treads, Mejai's Soulstealer, upgrade Tear to the Archangel's Staff, Zhonya's Ring.

Chasethedevil

02-15-2010

Good item build
but id try something like this

Tear of the Goddess
Boots 1
Mejais Soulstealer
Finish Boots 2 [Sorc or Merc treads depending on game]
Finish Archangels
Void Staff

If it isnt over by then you have lots of choices but personally i go

Rylais [your right for conisdering it, it is super nice- now even if you dont instashot them they still dont get away PLUS it adds nice HP]
Zhonyas Ring

Dont forget to pop those Pots of Brilliance whenever you can and its GG for them, espically if you also grab Golem

sdjaks

02-15-2010

After rod, Deathfire Grasp on Ryze > all

Airazor

02-15-2010

Tear of the goddess is great I agree, It's really the only choice if you need the mana, and you can have mana problems with the builds I put up, that's just how I play though.

I can usually just farm with auto attack (boosted range is good now) and stockpile mana until lvl 6, throwing a few spell flux in every now and then. Generally at around lvl six you can get at least 2 kills with the mana you have, then go back to the shop and buy some stuff.

It can work if you play smart, and wait until the perfect time to unload everything, but that comes with playing a lot of ryze I guess.

Eventually, I'd say around 30 games or so, you will be able to judge whether or not you can kill someone just looking at the health. This goes for saving mana as well.

There are a lot of really good items for ryze, that's one of the best things about him, mix and match to your liking and playstyle really.

Just land the Rune Prison and go spastic, you really can't go wrong haha

BlindBanshee

02-16-2010

Tear of the Goddess is just my personal preference as well. I just feel that the added damage to your Overload from Tear > Archangel's plus the mp5 makes it a no brainer.