Low Elo ranked guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Revtarget

03-25-2011

Thoughts on solo que ranked.

Itís easy to get caught up in the drama that is solo que below 1200. For me it was a 6 month hiatus from the game pre-season 1. The only reason I came back was due to the addition of ranked. It looked like Riot was taking the game in a direction that I wanted to be a part of. My thoughts on the ranked system when I came back to play were completely wrong. I didnít realize the problems that would present themselves when I buried a hole in my ranked match rating. Losing my first 30 or so games didnít seem like a big deal. I was just learning how to play the game again right? Wasnít feeding or doing anything over the edge stupid, but once again I was wrong in thinking that the ranked system would be forgiving.

Champion Select
Now as I journey through the bottom layers of Elo, wading my way through the despair of the system, I realize a few things.
1. You donít always get to play the champions you want to.
a. On the same note picking a character youíre not good at just to fill a role is futile
2. You need to learn how to play a variety of champions to compete properly
a. Some quote the 2 of every type rule. I myself feel competent with at least 3-4 of every type just to be safe. I donít like being stuck playing a character I donít like to play just because it fills a role.
3. Learn the ban rotation, if your banning try to get a tank on your team.
a. This is one a lot of people donít get. Weíll split it into to 2 groups,

1. Group 1- You get to ban first and pick second. So you want to have 2 tanks open, because you obviously donít get to pick first. So you ban a tank, then dps if the other banner has banned 2 tanks. This leaves 2 tanks open and you should be able to pick one and play it. (or switch with your teammates)
2. Group2-You get the middle pick you get to pick first, you only want to ban 1 tank. IF the first ban from the other group is a dps, you want to ban 2 tanks. Normal circumstances dictate that you want to only have 1 tank open if youíre the first pick. So try to steer it towards someone your team wants or you can play.
(The next section assumes the only tanks being played at your Elo are Shen, Malphite, Rammus, or Amumu. In higher elo there are more choices and more competent players but for the sake of the example we will stick to these three.)

Sample banning phase, youíre the second pick. Opposing team picks Shen. You know you can play either Malphite or Rammus. So you ban Amumu and 1 other of your choice. This leaves the opposing team in a situation where they either give you a tank, or you both get a tank. He has 2 choices at this point in time. He can ban a Malphite or Rammus and hope you guys donít pick the open tank, OR ban a dps as well leaving your teams with each a viable tank option. Common sense dictates you ban a dps and each team gets a tankÖ WELCOME to -1200 rankedÖ. This almost never happens.
Laning

Ok now we are going to assume that you have a basic knowledge of the laning phase.

(I.E. Last hitting, not overextending, warding, watching for ganks.) Something that seems to happen a lot at low Elo is the subtraction from wards.

1.Wards
2.Use them in the right spots
3.???
4.Profit.

No joke people. Wards win games. When you can see a gank coming from mid and respond to it properly and get a kill out of it. The 75g WAS WORTH IT. Seriously ward your lanes and watch for the gank. Warding key spots in the jungle is also a noteworthy tactic.

Example- Last game I played with Rammus they have a Nunu jungle. Now if you have ever played Nunu jungle you know he starts at blue 90% of the time and works through all the jungle in about 4-5 minutes. Iím laning top, and my group doesnít want to gank Nunu at start. Not surprising at this level , but I want to shut the jungle down for him put a dent in his time. Not to waste a ward I run to his red around 3-4 minutes and place the ward through the wall next to the Lizard. Low and behold about 30 seconds later Nunu comes in and eats one of the small ones and gets out. At this point you know he is going to go for the red in the next 10-20 seconds so I go back to bush and wait for him to come back. Iím packing teleport and as soon as he gets the lizard half down I teleport into my ward for the gank and the red buff steal. Jungle shut down got a kill and a red buff, I make it out easy with power ball and look at that. 300g for a 75g ward and teleport. Sounds like a good deal to me.

CreepScore
In my opinion the most important part of laning BESIDES NOT DYING. >.< Its easy to get pulled into the lull of back and forth between champions. You need to be thinking the whole time about last hitting those minions. Minions = 30g a pop. A wave comes with 6 minions potentially 180 gold a wave. Not a huge amount, especially if your duel laning just calling it even means your only getting 90 gold a wave. Lets look at the numbers though, Minions first spawn at 1:30 and every 30 seconds hereafter. So at the 5 minute mark that is 8 minion waves. 1440 gold, if you last hit every one. Even the pros donít do this so donít freak if your not getting all the minion kills. This is even minus the tank minions. Its just important to understand the more creep kills you get the faster your going to get your items. Especially if your playing against a passive lane combo try to get those kills, farming is VERY important in this part of the game.

Team fight
The last part of this guide (THUMBS UP RIGHT) After your laning phase, comes team fighting. OH SO MUCH FUN. >.< One of the marks of the higher ranked tiers of players is being able to initiate a team fight properly with your tank. This does not mean getting baited into a bush and hoping your team is behind you to save you. If you donít have it warded donít chase that Annie into the bush cause she has half HP. ITíS A TARP. Granted not every time it will be but if you see no enemies on the minimap and they have been missing for a while, ITíS A TARP.

What I mean by properly is, engaging the enemy with the advantage. Having the advantage could mean many different things ill list a couple that I think are important.
1. Being Up a teammate
2. Having Barron
3. Engaging at YOUR turret
4. Having a AOE initiator

Disadvantages
1. Being down a teammate
2. They have Barron
3. Youíre at their turret and they are guarding it
4. They are waiting in mid with a AOE initiator that you canít counter.

PUSH YOUR ADVANTAGE. I cannot stress this enough. Itís the most aggravating thing in the world being up a player having above half with Barron buff and watching your team blue pill to buy. You have the advantage x2 PUSH. That Blasting Wand can wait. Of course use common sense Iím not going to belittle you for backing when you have 10% and they have a global ganker. By all means go heal. When youíre good hp and they are at a disadvantage push for godís sake. The whole point is to keep your focus and ALWAYS be paying attention to what is going on around you.

Long winded and boring right? If just half of the -1200 players would read this our matchmaking would be 100% better. Hope you enjoyed it.

kwjnfkjsdg

03-25-2011

or you could just use mordekaiser since low elo players seriorusly don't know how to counter him. so many times i hear some triple digit elo scrub scream OP for morde. no, dipsht you just didn't know how to be aggressive early game and harass him bewteen waves and let him free farm to the point he can overextend all the way to your nexus tower and you and your jungler will still be too weak to gank him.

the same can be said with twitch, vladimir, and, to an extent, akali.

don't bother trying to "communicate" in champ select. kids dont fking talk in champ select in that elo. the most "communication" you'll get is some scrub first picking gangplank then hopping on ur dik nagging you to get a tank.

although i completely agree with your point on wards, itll definitely help deal with the general lack of intelligence in the elo. i honestly believe that players' IQ increases as their elo goes up, and people in low elo are, in my opinion, clinically ******ed. you'll literally see some dumb jarvan trying to solo baron when youre screaming at him to stop b/c theres a ward there, or some annie trying to finish off blue buff while a team fight's going on.

so like i said. #1 to get out of low elo? take matters into your own hands, play an "OP" champ that these dimwits dont know how to counter, and roflstop your way to victory. its hilarious, playing akali and morde increased my elo by like 200. and honestly i'm terrible at both champs.

Revtarget

03-25-2011

Yeah I feel you. I played morde from 800-1100 and literally won almost every game... Too easy ignite, ult, profit. Once you get into the 1100's though seems to start getting a little better hope to be over 1200 next couple of days ;p

Gato Muerto

03-25-2011

Upvoted. Now if I could just get people to realize they have a bad matchup and just swap lanes...

Revtarget

03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato Muerto View Post
Upvoted. Now if I could just get people to realize they have a bad matchup and just swap lanes...
That and to stop, I CALLED MID AND YOU TOOK IT. NOW I FEED.

Penguinbashr

03-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg View Post
or you could just use mordekaiser since low elo players seriorusly don't know how to counter him. so many times i hear some triple digit elo scrub scream OP for morde. no, dipsht you just didn't know how to be aggressive early game and harass him bewteen waves and let him free farm to the point he can overextend all the way to your nexus tower and you and your jungler will still be too weak to gank him.

the same can be said with twitch, vladimir, and, to an extent, akali.

don't bother trying to "communicate" in champ select. kids dont fking talk in champ select in that elo. the most "communication" you'll get is some scrub first picking gangplank then hopping on ur dik nagging you to get a tank.

although i completely agree with your point on wards, itll definitely help deal with the general lack of intelligence in the elo. i honestly believe that players' IQ increases as their elo goes up, and people in low elo are, in my opinion, clinically ******ed. you'll literally see some dumb jarvan trying to solo baron when youre screaming at him to stop b/c theres a ward there, or some annie trying to finish off blue buff while a team fight's going on.

so like i said. #1 to get out of low elo? take matters into your own hands, play an "OP" champ that these dimwits dont know how to counter, and roflstop your way to victory. its hilarious, playing akali and morde increased my elo by like 200. and honestly i'm terrible at both champs.
i pick GP because he's fun for me to play i also play morde (on occasion) veiger, and im saving up to get vlad.

but i only hit 30 yesterday and i've lost all my ranked games because my team fed. i think i went 4-3-4 and our total kill count was something like 10 to their 30 :-|

however, i am using wards and using cait atm because i have ArmP runes from GP and it's been fun. its not too hard to counter morde, but its too bad people lack common sense these days

SephithDarknesse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2011

Doesnt work often enough if its only you doing it all :/ Warding is still fairly useless when you have a 13-0 Karthus 20minutes into the game, and a shaco running wild destroying everyone else.
Wish i could get out of this some time soon...

Degato

09-07-2011

If you hit 30 yesterday, stop playing ranked imo.

Strawbrrymlk

09-07-2011

Step 1: Find a competant friend
Step 2: Queue with competant friend
Step 3: You and competant friend pick solo lane or junglers, that can kill people who get out of position
Step 4: Collect massively positive win ratio
Step 5: Make BFF bracelets with friend

EDIT: On a more serious note, here is how to (while duo queued) make sure you get your teams comp setup for your carrying pleasure
If you and your competant friend have varied ratings, one of you will likely be the top rated and one of you the bottom rated on each team. This allows you to control the bans. What you should do is have your higher rated (first pick) summoner select your desired top lane champ (you can swap later) since these tend to get banned/picked alot. THen have your lower rated (last pick) call out that they want to jungle, which you will usually be allowed to get.

Really though, as long as you duo queue with a competant player and avoid playing supports, you should have a very nice win rate at low ELO.

TLDR: DUO QUEUE FOR VICTORY (and demacia)