The absolutely cheapest most useful runepages for new players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dakonblackblade

03-25-2011

Introduction(EU player). I have 10 runepages and tried a great variety of runes over this period of time . And still trying that. However it pains my heart to see new 30 level players not having a nice runepage.

You will say, ''they are expensive , i have only 2 pages, many different playstyles yada yada yada''

And I say, every stat u will have in your runepage will help you. ''Yeah but i dont need manaregen on my kennen''. Well then we have to do our best with what we have. So lets put down the minimum facts.

a) 2 Runepages. Not all having 3 or more .
b) Cover as many champions and situations (junling, mana, no mana, tanks, dpsers and such)
c) Cheap as cheap as it gets. (no runes with 820 IP cost)

1st Runepage (AD, Junglers, AD tank)

Red: 9x Armor Penetration. This is a 410 IP rune But its the best rune around for champions proven by maths in some other threads. They are also the best since they boost the dmg of spells that are physical (Xin Zhao Ulti, Renekton abilities) . There is no contest here.

Yellow: 9x Armor Flat. 205 IP runes that enable jungling for all heroes is nothing to scoff at. Dodge runes are very expensive at 820 IP cost so are not considered. Jax players will prefer dodge BUT even for them , armor is the second best so all is good. Also will make even Ranged heroes a bit more tankier (this is what we will analyze further)

Blue: 9x Magic Resist Flat. Again good for ALL heroes. These runes maybe not optimal for you Dpsing lovers BUT they will help you survive more, take less dmg from nukers in lane, help your melee heroes and such. Remember what we said, minimum cost for maximum results.

Mana regen runes got nerfed and basic mana regen increased. Meaning that early game regen is more or less covered. CDR runes are priced on 820IP so that should be enough to skip it. However there is another reason . Ionian boots+9-0-21 builds get you up to 24% CDR reduction. This is pretty common right? The next CDR item you get, WILL get you capped at 36-40% CDR. Spirit visage, soul shroud, you name it. Since CDR caps at 40% and no more, your CDR runes are out of the equation . Totally or partially wasted. Blue buff or Blue Elixir makes thing worse

Quins: 3x Flat Health OR 3x Armor Penetration. The first option is for newer players and people that like their runeboosts earlier. Second option is for more experienced players and later utility. What ever u get is perfectly fine.

2nd Runepage (spellcasters, spellcaster tanks, heroes without mana spellcasters, spellcasters jungle )

Red: 9x Magic Penetration. Really the only option on red there is nothing else to talk about.

Yellow: 9x Armor. Yes armor. Tanks will benefit from armor and also tanks tend to do dmg with spells (Malphite, Alistar). Casters may frown on this BUT its the same with Ranged DPS, being tankier never hurts. It goes that way. A B.F.S may be optimal for 50% of the heroes BUT Belt of giant strenght is GOOD for 100% of the heroes. We want to be good for a great variety of heroes and have options open . Also we dont have to spend anything since we already have them .

Blue: 9x Magic Resist. This is the same argument as above. Good for everyone. Not optimal for everyone (but im sure u will love a 50 Magic Resist Katarina)

Quins:3 x Flat health or 3x Magic Penetration. Same as the 1st runepage. Dont worry, 3x Flath health = 3x Armor penetration + 3x Magic Penetration on IP cost. Just make sure u either get health or the others.

Now some clarifications.

Why not get Flat or /level damage on reds for our first runepage? Easy, it doesnt boost your physical abilities the way Armor Penetration does. Same goes for Attack speed runes.

Flat armor or /level armor? Flat. Simple as that. Way better for junglers and at half IP cost. Also Armor Bonus equalizes at 10 level for /level runes. No contest here, flat wins

Magic Resist flat or /level? They come at the same cost and become equal at 10 level and after that /level become better. To tell you the truth is a personal choice. I really want my runes to help my early game since the bonuses later are quite small compared to what items give. But feel free to choose whatever u like.

Now lets calculate the total cost for both pages

3x 2050 (or 6x 1025)+ 9x 410+9x 205+9x205 +9x 410 = 17220 IP . If u get 100 IP per game (win/lose) these are 172 Games. If u calculate 1st win of the day this gets smaller. However its a number that you have when u are 30 level.

These 2 runepages will cover all your needs for all the heroes u will ever have (again i repeat NOT OPTIMAL BUT DEFINATELY SOLID). Even if u get more runepages, for specific champions, u will use many of those runes over and over again .

I strongly suggest getting those runes (Tier 3 of course) to get the most out of your games and not worry about runepages when u start play different heroes. Hope it was helpful for everyone, ask me away .

Another option would be to change Quintessence of health for Movement Speed. They cost the same and help all heroes also. Some also may prefer AP quints on spellcaster page for friendly spells on casters such as heal and shields. The cost is the same

I also advise people to start getting runes since Level 1. Every little bonus helps. Stick to Tier 1 runes till level 20 . Skip tier2 and go for Tier 3. Simple

Long Story Short

1st Runepage

Red:9X Armor Penetration
Yellow:9x Flat Armor
Blue:9x Flat Magic Resist or Magic Resist/level
Quins:3x Flat Health or Movement Speed or Armor Penetration

2nd Runepage
Red:9x Magic Penetration
Yellow::9x Flat Armor
Blue:9x Flat Magic Resist or Magic Resist/level
Quins:3x Flat Health or Movement Speed or Magic Penetration or Flat AP or AP/level

Something Snazzy

03-25-2011

This is exactly what I have been shooting for (I'm almost there) except I also want flat CDR before I play ranked. There are just too many characters that rely on early CDR and limiting your boots choice hurts a lot.

theN00biestNewb

03-25-2011

I just started, so I suspect I'm a loooooooong way off from needing this, but I'm glad someone in the community has put together a "cheat sheet" to help remove some of the guesswork once I get to the higher levels!

Also, I appreciate the thorough breakdown comparing different types of effects and what they're useful for.

GeorgeC

03-25-2011

This is a very narrow-minded "cheat" sheet. By level thirty, you should know which champions you're best with, and should be able to put together a rune sheet specific to each one. With Teemo, flat attack speed and ability power per level are the two big ones I aim for. They don't lose their potency later in the game, and really shine once Rylai's Crystal Scepter is obtained. If you're not familiar with Teemo, Toxic Shock adds damage and a poison effect to normal attacks based on ability power.

tl;dr: By level thirty you better not need a cheat sheet to tell you how to play.

corallein

03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Snazzy View Post
This is exactly what I have been shooting for (I'm almost there) except I also want flat CDR before I play ranked. There are just too many characters that rely on early CDR and limiting your boots choice hurts a lot.
Flat CDR runes are generically good, but also quite expensive and not necessary. I would generally advise against getting those first.

Seals of Clarity (yellow scaling mana per 5 runes) are quite good and are usable on every mana-using lane champion. They're good, generic, and cheap enough that they should be included as an alternative to flat armor seals.

Quenthal

03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
This is a very narrow-minded "cheat" sheet. By level thirty, you should know which champions you're best with, and should be able to put together a rune sheet specific to each one. With Teemo, flat attack speed and ability power per level are the two big ones I aim for. They don't lose their potency later in the game, and really shine once Rylai's Crystal Scepter is obtained. If you're not familiar with Teemo, Toxic Shock adds damage and a poison effect to normal attacks based on ability power.

tl;dr: By level thirty you better not need a cheat sheet to tell you how to play.
Some people dont even buy runes till they are well into lvl 30 for w/e reason. This is a guide for people like that, or for, ghasp, new players looking to fill out their T1 rune page but not knowing what will generally benifit them.

In short. Go troll somewhere else. No one cares.

P.S. Awsome guide bud. Hope this helps alot of players.
P.S.S. Mentioning that this will work with T1 runes as well as T3 might help newer player not be driven away thinking this is strictly a 30 only thing.
P.S.S.S. lol, just noticed your names reference. one of my favorite RKF drawings next to Sol Kanar The Swamp King

corallein

03-25-2011

Quote:

This can be used well before 30. You start buying T3 runes at 20 (or maybe it was 21...). I have a number of runes I regret buying that I don't use anymore.

And it's impossible to put together rune sheets for every specific champion that I play, since I play... a lot of different champions. Sure, you could get those AS reds for Jungle Irelia... but then they're pretty dang useless for a lot of other champions (like Renekton). Or you can get ArP runes that's useful for Irelia and Renekton and every other physical DPS champion out there.

Encouraging people to first build rune pages for a specific champion (and by extension discouraging the play of other champions that their rune pages don't work for) is bad. First getting a set of generic runes that work for many champions is the best way to go.

PS. I would encourage getting MR/level over flat magic resist runes. Damage earlier on is more physical heavy (creeps do a far larger % of the damage, and caster champions haven't built up their AP, CDR, and mana regen yet), so magic resist is relatively less important at lower levels.

Dakonblackblade

03-25-2011

Guys im glad you like it. Of course it works for Tier 1 runes ( i advise against tier 2). And yes, i prefer spending my hard IP points to get heroes and not runes or runepages

And honestly runes arent that big of a deal. Playing a smurf and winning is the perfect example.

Also dont underestimate defensive runes. In the 1v1 tournaments that solomid organized, armor and mr runes were used for 1v1 purposes in order to absorb dmg. Another pro of flat runes and con of /level runes, since i strongly believe that runes should help early game rather than lategame.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

Quote:

One could argue that, by level 30, you would have realized how pointless Teemo is to his team compared to other champions that fill his role better and wouldn't waste one of your pages for his specific needs.

To the OP: Fairly nice. Not necessarily what I would go with for basic pages, but they're not technically bad, cover a wide range of champions, and are inexpensive which is what the point is.

Unparallelogram

03-25-2011

Good suggestions.

You make 17k IP sound cheap. I was like, face palm.