"Tanks" in ranked games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ducherous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-25-2011

So lately Ive just been playing with tanks such as ammumu and shen and i found that im pretty good with them, thing is that they both get always banned in ranked games at my elo)(1300-1400).

Could you tell me any "tanks" that do well in ranked games?

Evochron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

If you have a communicative team or have a team, Alistar's really good.

Biraru

03-25-2011

Malphite and Rammus are good and easy-to-learn tanks. They are also common bans, but between both of them and Shen and Amumu there is one which is bound to be free.

Udyr can be a powerful tanks but he is harder to use. Requires good jungling experience.

Alistar is powerful and is actually popular in high-elo streams. However he requires teamwork. In short, you could say that he provides twice more CC and twice less damage than the usual tank.

Galio is a tank but is the hardest to use. I suggest that you do not invest yourself into Galio until you have the basic tanks tucked under your belt.

Kritara

03-25-2011

First off let's differentiate between tank and initiator. A tank is somebody who can babysit really well, be it taunts/stuns/knockup/etc on a decent cooldown. Saying amumu is a tank once every 3 minutes or so is ludicrous. Just call him an initiator and call it a day.

Rammus = nearly perma ban at this point, but is one of the best.

Malphite is less of a tank and more of an initiator but very strong as well.

Amumu is like Malphite less of a tank and more of an initiator but also very strong. Arguebly has the most aoe dmg out of all on this list.

Shen is not as strong of a tank like Rammus but provides a degree of utility that can't be matched. 2v2 becoming a 3v2? Yes please.

Alistar is decent as well, with good formation disruption or babysitting abilities, He also has the best ap ratios around 1.0 on all his dmg ability which makes ap alistar the lulz.

Galio is decent as well, with the best poke out of all tanky ppl on this list, but his ultimate is hard countered by merc treads + flash.

You could go on with nasus, renekton, etc etc. Most champs can be built tanky and be called a tank, but the above is just a list of the commonly known ones/builds.

Rrbhaunoch

Recruiter

03-25-2011

I agree with everything that biraru said. The only thing I have to add is that Alistar is a bit more difficult to use to full effect than the other tanks, on top of being best used with good teamwork.

Ducherous

Recruiter

03-25-2011

Thanks guys, and what do you think about Taric being viable?

Grimoald

03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducherous View Post
Thanks guys, and what do you think about Taric being viable?
Fabulous!

aRchiBole

03-25-2011

Tank/Initiator is a arbitrary semantic definition, don't claim that as accurate info that is common knowledge as iff correcting previous posters!

Tokinatoor

03-25-2011

SINGED SINGED

Oh yah

And Singed

He RAPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cho is good (just nerfed though)

Renekton is still a dps/tank when built tank....

Nunu is GREAT.... Really not a good initiator though...

But he is phenomenal and essentially free... (Frozen heart!)

And he is my favorite lvl 4 jungle ganker in the game!

Bloodboil, Ice blast, red buff snare and laugh

Kill + Assist!