Just hit level 20 - Rune Choices

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AntcDude

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

Yeah i just hit level 20 and i have about 5300 IP to spend and i was wondering what kinda runes from tier 3 i should get that are good for pretty much anything i play. I play whatever the game calls for.. tank .. carry.. pusher.. whatever. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fill out my rune sheet that would benefit any hero I play. Also, i want the runes i buy now to be useful later on once i start making character specific sheets.

Budo

02-14-2010

Solid +health runes work for almost any champion you'd like to play. If you were to choose anything else it would depend specifically on the champion you are playing.

B0otyman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

Well, the red runes are going to be a tad problematic if you play a mix of everyone, since the generally accepted "best" setup is either armor or magic pen. For yellow, dodge is expensive but generally a good choice as there's usually always some type of physical carry on every team. For blues, you can always go magic resist, or cooldown reduction if it applies to the carries you tend to play. For quints, HP helps on everyone, and move speed is another overall nice choice.

Still, it's probably better to focus on one type of character first and build off that, and just use your old T1 runes or whatnot for others champion types. There are some exceptions.. if you like a crit damage build for Shaco, for example, it isn't going to be particularly helpful on most other champions. Another option is to fill the yellow and blue runes with mana regen per level, as those are extremely cheap (a full set of both colors costs the same as 4 and a half dodge runes, for example) and can tide you over until you can afford the 20000+ IP for a book of expensive ones.

If you really want to stay generalist, though, defensive runes at least apply to all characters and don't have the problem of magic pen vs. armor pen, etc.

Lyrondak

02-14-2010

Red - Armor/Magic Penetration
Yellow - HP per lvl
Blue - Flat cooldown reduction
Quintessence - Flat HP

AntcDude

02-14-2010

for the Qints is the +32.4 HP better than the +hp per level which ends up being over 40 at level 18 ? I figure the flat might be better for early game survivability

wildfire393

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntcDude View Post
Yeah i just hit level 20 and i have about 5300 IP to spend and i was wondering what kinda runes from tier 3 i should get that are good for pretty much anything i play. I play whatever the game calls for.. tank .. carry.. pusher.. whatever. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fill out my rune sheet that would benefit any hero I play. Also, i want the runes i buy now to be useful later on once i start making character specific sheets.
For general purpose runes, the following choices are amongst the best, in my opinion:

Red: Armor Penetration or Magic Penetration (for physical and nonphysical characters, respectively)
Blue: Cooldown Reduction
Yellow: MP/5 or Dodge
Purple: Flat HP or a combination of the above.

IHelpPro

02-14-2010

Armor penetration is good on casters too if they have good autoattack animation.

And if your cheap, blue and yellows can be both mp/5 scaling ones. They allow you to not worry about mana regen combined with the 3 point utility skill (mediation?) Huge +++ during laning when you can spam your spells and buy regen items. Plus, the runes are 205IP for tier 3, cheapest possible.

EnderA

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrondak View Post
Red - Armor/Magic Penetration
Yellow - HP per lvl
Blue - Flat cooldown reduction
Quintessence - Flat HP
Quoted for truth. I do flat HP Seals, but HP/Lvl works too.

Lyrondak

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntcDude View Post
for the Qints is the +32.4 HP better than the +hp per level which ends up being over 40 at level 18 ? I figure the flat might be better for early game survivability
Flat HP is better because the scaling ones don't reach equivalent stats until level 12. Having +100 HP boost early game is huge.

Same reason why Flat CD > Scaling cooldown. Equivalency isn't reached until lvl 13.

AntcDude

02-14-2010

i bought flat quints but i ended up buying x5 of the HP per level yellow runes because the flat ones were really gimp