Keeping irelia alive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kresterz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

Hello people

I am having early squishyness issues when useing Irelia in early game. I normally go
either youmuu or tri force in early game plus greaves then decide on phantomor black cleaver.

I know buying defensive items might be easier for survivability. I am wondering how you guys go with keeping squishy champps alive without messing up build order...

Igo in twisted treeline and try to solo lane using cripple and ghost

hydralover

03-25-2011

You're building her wrong.

Start cloth armor + 5 health pots
Madred's Razors --> Boots --> Wriggles --> Merc Treads (Maybe Swiftness if other team is bad and has little or no CC)--> Zeal/Phage --> Zeal/Phage --> Sheen --> TriForce

After Wriggles/Merc/Triforce, take a look at how you're doing. Consider Banshee's, Phantom Dancer, or Nashor's Tooth. At this point, it really depends on that particular game.

Never get Greaves.

I also run Exhaust Flash.

Tokinatoor

03-25-2011

I think Irelia is more of a 5 v 5 champ

I dont like your build honestly,

I prefer rushing sheen -> triforce, merc treads make Irelia the GODDESS she is!

Madreds (the 4% damage a hit) is great on her too, it stacks with W.

And this all the offense she really needs until her last item imo.

Frozen Heart (makes R have scary low cooldown), FoN or Banshees will make you tanky/dps (I always get 2 defensive items)

Malady, Starks, Black cleaver <-probably best with my build, PD or IE would all be good last items.

Just MAX Q and farm, farm, farm ( I like to get W to rank 2 or 3 after 1 point in E)

Madreds first if jungling, Sheen first if laning imo....

MOST IMPORTANTLY,

R GOES WHERE CURSOR IS!

AIM FOR ****LOADS OF MINIONS!

Enthalpy

03-25-2011

She is a little squishy early on.
I get armor yellows, arp red and quint, and cdr/level blues.
Open with sapphire crystal and 2 hp pots and after first return from lane get boots + sheen.
After this I get mercs, then work on tri force. After that bv, hexdrinker(if heavy ap enemies), randuins. Don't need more than tri-force on her for damage though.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

I disagree with your choice to pick up Sheen last in your TriForce build order. Sheen, Phage, Zeal, TriForce works better in my experience. You get the burst that you need if you build tanky (and you should build tanky), and Phage next for the survivability + slow proc. Picking up Zeal first is pointless because your damage isn't high enough to take advantage of the attack speed. Yes, I know she has a truedamage active and a heal that's only influenced by attack speed, but in combat your main source of recovery will be from your ultimate, not Hiten Style. Sheen burst should put out more damage at this stage of the game.

With Irelia, unless the team lacks any kind of dangerous CC, you should build Merc Treads. Her passive, on top of Merc Treads, means that in a teamfight you will basically never get CC'd for more than .75seconds. Merc Treads will also help in those instances where you get nailed with a max-ranged Ashe Arrow with no enemies around, or any other 1v1 situation where your passive isn't as strong.

Kresterz

03-25-2011

I thought Irelia was DPS...

Cenerae

03-25-2011

Irelia is tanky DPS.

You're not supposed to build her like a glass cannon. Doing so is a horrible idea.

Ycore

03-25-2011

I really don't think Irelia is tanky dps. Mundo yes, Cho 'gath yes, Renekton yes, Jarvan kinda,etc.

Imho Irelia's heal (including her ULT) sustains her well enough in lane, but isn't good enough to make any significant difference in a teamfight. Even when I build her tanky-- BV, Warden's mail, she still drops like a bag of hammers if focused by any two champs, and trust me you are ALWAYS focused because you are recognized as high DPS AND squishy. In fact, in a game I played yesterday I had a randuins and a FoN, and I was still instagibbed by an Olaf and later 3 shot by a LeBlanc.

I'm not dissuading anybody from building some tanky items on her, I sure do, I'm just saying she is nowhere near what I consider "tanky DPS". She has better lane survivability and a certain 1vs1 advantage against a lot of champs because of her passive heal, but compared to say the heal of a Mundo, or the health total and mitigation of a Cho'Gath, she certainly isn't anywhere in league with the other Tanky DPS'ers.

Imho, the key to "keeping irelia alive" is to play her like an assasin. Burst into the squishie, kill fast, and get out of dodge. user your ult from afar to heal up, and then retarget again. if you hang around in the fray, you will get squashed. Merc treads or alternatively boots of swiftness, in combination with Trinity and phantom dancer makes you move very, very fast,

My end game build (if it goes long enough) is usually:
trinity Force
Phantom dancer
Bloodthirtser or IE
Merc Treads
Force of Nature
Guardian Angel

Kritara

03-25-2011

Irelia is not naturally tanky dps, but it's a good to build some tank with her spank. Knowing when to go in is key for any carry, but especially true for melee ones.

FoN is weak on Irelia, sure it makes her a little faster but 2% of **** hp is still **** hp. Building a Banshee Veil is a better because of the extra health/mana, 10 less resists but it absorbs a spell which makes you less likely to cc'd first.

I have a really simple stable Irelia build. First item I buy is cloth armor + pots.

Now depending how well my laning went before my first buy I might just rush a sheen and boots, if not I'll get a heart of gold and boots(merc or swiftness are my preference). Get avarice blade when you can as well.

If you haven't gotten a sheen by this point get it. If your dominating then rush that sheen into a Trinity Force, if not build a Banshee Veil.

Your items at the end should look like:
Trinity Force
Randuin Omen(built from that heart of gold)
Yomumu Ghost Blade(built from that avarice blade)
Banshee Veil
Boots(Merc or Swiftness)

The 6th item is up to you, if the game is really rough up for your team and your dying alot, a guardian angel may be a good choice. I prefer a Black Cleaver for the 45 armor reduction that makes squishies that much squishier, plus a decent amount of dmg and a tiny bit of extra atk speed.

Ycore

03-25-2011

I agree that a BV is generally better than a FoN on irelia, however the FoN builds from a Negatron cloak, which is usually the first thing I buy after a Trinity. It's cheap, and helps so much against a variety of casters. To be honest, BV sounds great, but i always find it pops on someones cruddy Q, rather than their R. The only time I find a BV to be super valuable is against Karthus, as it eats his annoying global ult. It's kinda like a QSS against Malz/Warwick, situational, while a Negatron cloak is just plain always useful for the gold price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritara View Post
Irelia is not naturally tanky dps, but it's a good to build some tank with her spank. Knowing when to go in is key for any carry, but especially true for melee ones.

FoN is weak on Irelia, sure it makes her a little faster but 2% of **** hp is still **** hp. Building a Banshee Veil is a better because of the extra health/mana, 10 less resists but it absorbs a spell which makes you less likely to cc'd first.

I have a really simple stable Irelia build. First item I buy is cloth armor + pots.

Now depending how well my laning went before my first buy I might just rush a sheen and boots, if not I'll get a heart of gold and boots(merc or swiftness are my preference). Get avarice blade when you can as well.

If you haven't gotten a sheen by this point get it. If your dominating then rush that sheen into a Trinity Force, if not build a Banshee Veil.

Your items at the end should look like:
Trinity Force
Randuin Omen(built from that heart of gold)
Yomumu Ghost Blade(built from that avarice blade)
Banshee Veil
Boots(Merc or Swiftness)

The 6th item is up to you, if the game is really rough up for your team and your dying alot, a guardian angel may be a good choice. I prefer a Black Cleaver for the 45 armor reduction that makes squishies that much squishier, plus a decent amount of dmg and a tiny bit of extra atk speed.