Need help picking up some new tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WolchBot

02-17-2010

Personally I play both Malphite and Rammus a good bit. Rammus is my most played champ with like 70 games or something. Out of the two of them I feel that Rammus is the more active champion. You said you didn't want to use a skill and feel like you're just sitting around, well Rammus often has something to do, all of his skills, even his ult are on short cooldowns. Also in terms of playing an AP team I think that Rammus has a slight edge because of Defensive Ball Curl, while it only lasts a short time it adds a good chuck of MR with that skill alone. They are both fun to play (if you can enjoy playing the tank/initiator mentality) and both can do quite well.

Joru

02-17-2010

YESSSSSSS.

In an unusually convenient twist of fate, Malphite and Rammus are both free as of today. So problem soon to be solved, I suppose.

Aethernet

02-17-2010

I've been playing taric a lot lately and I've found that while he may not be able to dps worth a ****, he's still one of the best tanks I've ever played. I even manage to get a decent amount of kills with him, with or without help.

Items that work awesome on Taric, and coincidentally are not recommended:
1:Aegis of the Legion
2:Mercury Treads
3:Spirit Visage(the +30% heal and regeneration is ridiculously awesome. By level 18, with 2-3k hp, you can generally restore 30-50% of your hp with one cast of your heal with this on.)
4:Chalice of Harmony(If you have issues with mana regen)
5:Sheen(If you can sacrifice the defensive item. This is mostly for tower killing but works great with your ult to hit for a decent amount.)
6:Banshee's Veil...obvious.
7: Abyssal Scepter(This can help a decent amount in team battles)
8:Rod of Ages
9eathfire Grasp(Oh this can be fun if the enemy team has no mr. Shoot this and your stun and if you have sheen, you can probably kill them.)

As you can see, I like MR, I like it a lot. While pure physical characters can hurt pretty bad like twitch and to some extent teemo and pantheon, the armor bonus from your passive is generally enough to hold against auto attacks. But when twitch and teemo pop up, guess what, your heal can probably outheal any damage they do, and you can stun twitch during his ult.
Taric is beastly. After level 6, it's ridiculously hard to take him down, no matter what you throw at him. I have an average of two deaths per game with him, and even then, it's been more like 1 per match lately.

Joru

02-17-2010

My issue with Taric, I think, are the cooldowns. If you're holed up in your tower unable to farm, or your team insists on wandering incessantly from lane to lane instead of picking one and pushing, you only get one heal every 20 seconds. Even with max cooldown reduction, it's still at 12, longer than Soraka's or Nidalee's are at base and without the extra effect (except for the bonus heal on himself). In either case, it's too long between heals to help your teammates push through harassment and fight off the enemy, and Taric himself can't do it because he doesn't have enough offense.

If Imbue was on a 10 second cooldown with 1 taken off per attack instead of 20 and 2, I'd be all over him, but as it stands, once the team loses momentum (as non-premades often do for any number of reasons), I feel like I can't contribute at all with him.

On that note...why Sheen? Imbue, Shatter, and Radiance are all on fairly long cooldowns, and Dazzle is too valuable to blow very often, so you really don't get very many procs out of it.

Also, I haven't played him since the new Spirit Visage made its appearance. The health regeneration is kind of wasted on him, but the cheap cooldown reduction, magic resistance, and heal bonus would be nice. Mundo's the only character I've ever had it on (I play Nidalee, but don't find it necessary for her...I'd rather have real AP).

idecline

02-17-2010

People may (read: will) disagree, but I used to like playing Mundo but recently I have been using Sion a lot. I notice that he wasn't included in your list but I have found that he is similar to Mundo, but he can be a nice addition to the team.

I find his skill set to be a nice combination of disables, dps, and survivability. You can be flexible in terms of focusing on DPS or being a more tanky initiator.

One of the main problems with Mundo is that he can pretty much be ignored if he is built into a tank - imho Sion doesn't suffer from this as badly due to his disable and the fact that he can dish out mediocre dmg from his ulti and "e" passive with minimal investment into damage items.

I'm sorry to waste your time if you have already disqualified him for one reason or another.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

02-17-2010

My top two tanks are Amumu and Alistar.

I love amumu as he has excellent damage output with either sunfire cape stacking or rod of ages/rylai stacking, while being quire tanky and having an amazing ult and being a great initiator. Flash does this little guy wonders and he has good mobility.

Alistar is also great. He is a fantastic pusher with a stun and a knockback and an ult that makes him all but invulnerable. However, I personally feel that he suffers from an acute lack of damage. He does very well with virtually no items, but thats the problem. He is such a pathetic farmer that he has virtually no items, and therefore has no damage. The only reason to focus an alistar is when he is attacking a tower (passive + ult + sheen can wreck a tower pretty fast). So yeah, he suffers from the fact that people can just ignore him after he initates unless your team is pushing a tower.

You may not think it, but Anivia and Morgana can make quite good tanks. Building a tank anivia is great, as you effectively have double hp due to your passive (and increased armor/MR while in egg form). Plus, as an egg, people are naturally drawn to attack you, making you even more effective. You can AoE slow and have a stun, and walls of ownage. Anivia with rod of ages, warmogs, and rylai's work great, and if you are confident in your ability to stay alive, mejai's makes you be a support dps while still tanking. Plus you farm like a beast so its easy to get this.

Going tank morgana makes you quite tough (again, rylais, rod of ages, and cheap cooldown reduc like codex and haunting guise, or you can go for frozen heart). flash in and ult, and i promise people will beat on you. or run away. idk. I usually go hybrid with her.

Joru

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by idecline View Post
People may (read: will) disagree, but I used to like playing Mundo but recently I have been using Sion a lot. I notice that he wasn't included in your list but I have found that he is similar to Mundo, but he can be a nice addition to the team.

I find his skill set to be a nice combination of disables, dps, and survivability. You can be flexible in terms of focusing on DPS or being a more tanky initiator.

One of the main problems with Mundo is that he can pretty much be ignored if he is built into a tank - imho Sion doesn't suffer from this as badly due to his disable and the fact that he can dish out mediocre dmg from his ulti and "e" passive with minimal investment into damage items.

I'm sorry to waste your time if you have already disqualified him for one reason or another.
The thing about Sion is that, the way I see it, he's basically just the evil version of Taric, especially if you don't build him AP. Without his AP ratios, they both have a ranged stun, they both have an AoE farming ability, they both have an ult that helps sustain a team push...I figure that if I was going to tank with either, it might as well be Taric, since he's a bit more my style.

I guess you could do a Rod of Ages plus Rylai's and do a mage-tank sort of deal...I'm not sure if it's enough without a lot of mitigation, though. Plus, I've only ever tried Sion in a couple of times, but I sucked horrendously every time. I'm really not sure why.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I don't know a ton about Sion, especially as a DPS or tank, since almost all the guides are nuker-oriented.

Polka Dot Robot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joru View Post
Sion, etc
Sion works pretty well, even though you don't see him too often. With an ap/tank build (abyssal, rod, lichbane, mejal, frozen heart, merc treads) and his ult, you can area heal for ~300/5s or so (from lich) and ~70/s sustained (for 20s, every 60s), and take tons of damage between his shield and high armor/res. His shield farms like crazy above 200ap, netting you a permanent ~12hp/wave.

idecline

02-17-2010

What I like about Sion is the flexibility he has.

You can go DPS, tank, or AP and have a viable build.

The shield is nice for initiating, the stun is good for shutting down carries, and his Ulti is great for team fights.

I solo queue a lot, and it is very nice to be able to go into the game and choose Sion. If no one chooses a Tank, I can. If someone else does I just go DPS.

I find that he does have a bit of a learning curve. He seemed slow, mana inefficient, and lacking punch before I got used to his play style. What you end up with is surprising early game dps (from your "e" skill which gives weapon damage) and survivability (from having the damage absorber from the shield and an emergency hard disable).

If you can control your lane and get last hits, you will build up your maximum HP enough so that you can itemize towards a hybrid tank/DPS build without sacrificing too much survivability.

TL;DR
IMHO, Sion is fun when you get used to him.

DoomManufact

02-17-2010

Ya the thing about Sion tanking is that the enemy team CAN'T ignore him. When he puts on his shield if they don't attack him it'll hurt like hell and they know it. On top of that, you get a VERY useful stun, and enrage/cannibalism really help with his hp and threat factor.

I've seen an AP Sion fluctuate at around 380-420 dmg w/ enrage. He was hitting like a truck, and with his massive shield on he was an amazing tower diver and an awesome tank, since his shield hurt like hell if they let it go. I'd give him a try if I weren't poor lol.

EDIT: btw the only tank I play is Rammus and I luv him. Tried Ali and Taric, but they both seemed a bit too clumsy. Malph was alright, but I find he doesn't have much team use past his ulti and the shard slow. Mundo is great, but I could never really love him as much as I do Rammus.
Rammus has the most amazing chasing/running/farming/slowing ability ever (Powerball), the ability to tower dive very well w/ his shield, makes attacking your tower impossibly hard w/ Taunt, and can burn towers in seconds w/ Tremor. I run him w/ Ghost (obvious) and Flash, so I can just hop over minion blocks w/ Powerball.

In short, Rammus brings a lot of unique abilities to a team that other tanks don't have. He can chase/slow, eat towers, tank very well, and make ppl piss their pants after u turn around and taunt them next to ur tower <-- no other champ can do that