Need help picking up some new tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joru

02-14-2010

I solo queue pretty much 100% of the time, and I'm the sort of person who tries to wait until most other players have picked their champions and then choose someone to do whatever the team is missing. This means I spend a lot of time as the designated tank. Cho'gath used to be my go-to guy for this, and I always did really well with him...until I didn't. A few weeks back, I started sucking with him all of a sudden, presumably due to facing more experienced opponents who know how to deal with him. And the recent Feast nerf isn't exactly enticing me back, either. I didn't really know how to play too many other tanks, so I started trying to branch out.

I started by picking up Mundo, who's a lot of fun (so many cleavers!), but straight tanky Mundo doesn't exactly get a ton of respect and will probably give me a lot of the same problems I've had with Cho'gath. I want to keep expanding, but I don't really know who suits me the best.

I use Blizcrank sometimes, but he seems so much better-suited to being an offtank with a mix of DPS and survivability items. It feels inefficient to play him as a pure tank for a team full of squishies, which is the role I'm typically forced into filling.

Taric is one that I like a lot in theory, but in practice, I don't do well with him very often. If my team isn't pushing (either because we're losing or because my team refuses to organize), I feel useless with Taric, and that doesn't seem too likely to change as long as I keep solo queuing. I can also never figure out how to build him...he benefits from so many stats that I can never decide what to pick.

I have no interest in Alistar or Amumu. I know they're great tanks (Alistar especially), but they're just not my style.

I also don't own Malphite or Rammus. I've never had the opportunity to play so much as a bot game with Rammus, so he's pretty much off the table until he decides to show up in the free rotation for once in his miserable life. I could possibly be convinced to spring for Malphite, but I'm not sure if he's for me. The fact that all his abilities scale with different stats kind of puts me off a bit. And what if I'm against mostly AP types? Does he still have enough going for him without anyone to Ground Slam? I don't want to play someone too passive who relies 100% on their ultimate, and Malphite seems like he might be like that.

Nunu is someone I've always wanted to like, but Absolute Zero is so easy to counter that I'm not sure if he'd work well as a main tank, or whether I'd personally be able to pull it off if he is.

Singed has never really been on my radar, but maybe he's worth looking into. He can push well, which is something that seems like it would be helpful. Fling is really finicky, though...

People say Nasus is a tank, but I don't really get him. What makes him a tank? Lifesteal? I always thought lifesteal was supposed to be unreliable as far as survivability goes. He doesn't have any disables beyond his slow, either. He's fairly cheap and on the free rotation for the next few days, so maybe someone can change my mind about him if I'm missing something.

-----

Basically, I'm hoping to find an active, fun-to-play champion that functions well as the sole tank with and against a pretty broad variety of team compositions. Does anyone have any suggestions on who'd fit that bill and how they play?

I take Drukqs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

Rammus is supposedly the best pure tank right after Alistar. So if you like Rammus, go for it.

CARAM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take Drukqs View Post
Rammus is supposedly the best pure tank right after Alistar. So if you like Rammus, go for it.

Going to second Rammus. He is really fun to play and his taunt is game breaking in tons of fights. While he does okay against a caster heavy team, he really shines against a physical team.

Flapjacks

02-15-2010

Nasus doesn't initiate generally because his ult is best used after the fight has already started so he's not ideal as your only tank. He's more of an off-tank, or a "tank for awhile then get level 2 ult and tri force and be unstoppable" basically. He's pretty awesome.

The best straight up tank if you're not going to play Alistar is Malphite. Very fierce.

sainthero

02-15-2010

Rammus carries by building defense items. Best tank IMO.

SmecssRaege

02-15-2010

Here's my honest opinion of the top 3 contenders for tanks

Malphite:

LOVE HIM! This is my go to tank, the amount of damage he can soak up doesn't compare directly to alistar, but iwth his passive shield and enough HP and a healthy amount of other defense stats (150-200 armor/MR) you become pretty freaking hard to kill.

What i love most about malphite? I can rake in a bunch of kills every game with malphite even in FULL defense (Meaning: NO attack power, NO ability power, NO penetratios...all HP/MR/Armor) because of how insanely powerful his 1-2-3 punch of spells are (Unstoppable Force > Ground Slam > Seismic shard is a huge output of damage, usually enough to drop half HP off a hero)

Alistar:

This cow is definately a fun hero to play, makes for a better pusher than malphite, and can definately soak up a TON of damage thanks to his ulti.

He also is not to be trifled with, in the right hands alistar himself can do a ton of damage, (Mainly through sheen) But definately enough damage to make the enemys want to kill you. I can get quite a few kills with ally every game, and the amount of **** it takes to kill me is just fun to watch

Probably the best of the 3 hero's at the laning phase with his nice supporting heal, and 2 Crowd Controls

Rammus:

Great ganker, great ANTI-Carry tank (best of the best in this category) Taunt is the longest hard CC in the game minus ashes arrow from a screen away, and you can MOVE the enemys, which can and probably is even better than a stun (Playing with a poppy, you can move them towards the wall so she can charge them into the wall for great damage + stun...etc) Taunt also triggers the call for help, so an enemy towerdiving a teammate can immediately regret that decision.

He has great mobility if you have mana to spare through powerball, and is overall fairly fun to play, although i still enjoy the sheer force and power that malphite exhibits. But rammus is a nice change every once and awhile

Overall

As far as "Fun and Effective" goes for ME!
#1 Malphite
#2 Alistar
#3 Rammus

Amumu - He's maeh, can be good, can be bad....IMHO he's been nerfed 1 too many times =( used to be my #1 favourite hero back in beta

Singed - Some people can work wonders with singed, but personally i think he sucks overall, he is just annoying, although he can definately turn the tides

Blitzcrank - Also have a lot of fun with him, but most people won't call him a tank....but i build him as such so i can take a lot of punishment, and hooking people is always fun.

Nasus - Maeh...tried...don't really like.... Kind of a more DPS less support oriented amumu O_o

just my 2 cents on em

Joru

02-15-2010

It seems like it's pretty much down to Malphite and Rammus, 'cause I still don't like Alistar. (I'm not entirely sure why...I think it might be because he has all melee-range skills with no closer. He also looks like he'd suffer from Taric's "be pushing or suck" syndrome, and if I could recover from that, I'd already be playing Taric.)

Malphite would probably be the safer bet. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with something bad to say about Malphite, and I've at least played him a couple of times back during the launch celebration. But I'm still worried about the possibility of being in a position where my entire job is to hit Unstoppable Force and then go take a nap for the next two minutes. It's probably not a coincidence that two of my three most-played champions are Anivia and Nidalee...

But I've been getting more interested in Rammus the more I read about him. Powerball looks like a fun way of getting a lot of mobility and slowing people, Puncturing Taunt is incredible on a low cooldown (50% uptime with max cooldown reduction? Seriously?), you can't go wrong with Defensive Ball Curl, Tremors has a nice, short cooldown...but I've still never played him before, and it wouldn't be the first time I thought a champion looked fun only to find out that I totally sucked with them for whatever reason.

I'm down to my last 3,555 IP after blowing my Corki bonus on runes (about frigging time at level 26 when I've been matched almost exclusively with 30s about since I turned 20), Morgana (who I'd had my eye on for a while), and Tristana (she was cheap and it seemed wise to own the only physical carry I was reasonably certain I didn't suck with), so I can afford either, but it'll probably be the last thing I can buy for a while.

Here's a question. Between Malphite's Ground Slam and Rammus's passive and Taunt/Curl combo, both champions seem to be pretty focused on countering carries. What happens if I happen to be against a team that's mostly or entirely magic-based? How well does each of them compensate for that?

roninsm

02-15-2010

Pick nasus. Press 'r'. Win.

dovvntempo

02-15-2010

I can understand the fear about malphite being boring after his ult. I play Nidalee and Anivia the most as well... so yeah. I don't get bored of playing Malphite though. He's faster than Anivia and the uptime on his seismic shard means you'll always be finding someone to slow down. He can also farm well thanks to ground slam. So from experience playing as Malph I don't find him boring.

I think Rammus may have the edge as a tank against casters. Malphite has two abilities to stop people from what they are doing, shard and force. When force is on cd all you can do is slow people and whack em' hard.

As Rammus though, your two disruptive abilities are on short cooldowns, and having played both Nidalee and Anivia I'm used to short cd's... I appreciate being busy and useful. Not to mention that if they're down you have defensive curl which makes Rammus a much better tank than Malphite.

Jrawk

02-15-2010

I highly recommend Malph.

I find he is best effective with a mix though. A couple sunfire capes and a brutalizer put out massive AOE damage. The catch is you need a good team to back you up. I wouldn't ever make him a pure tank.