Caitlyn vs Veigar solo mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

terriblenewb4

03-24-2011

I was recently zoned by Caitlyn while playing Veigar solo mid. She started her harass right away and I was never able to recover. I let her push to my tower but once there she was able to continue to harass me while camping on my minion line. She quickly hit level 3 while I was still 2 and was out farming me.

I didnt want to wait for a teammate to punish her for her aggressivness and because she was out leveling and out farming me I called for a switch. Her range and dmg were too much for me to handle.

I was wondering if there were any tips or suggestions that might be able to help me with this matchup in the future. Im sure my struggles were caused by my lack of skill rather than Veigar's.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jons Wongs

03-24-2011

IMO its probably really not a skill issue its more of a fact that caitlyn has a very far auto attack range and that was probably your problem. The only way i can think of is that you start harassing her pretty hard and land a lot of burst on her if you meant what to do with veigar.

Valthan

03-24-2011

If I see Caitlyn on the enemy team (Mid or not) I call for an early gank on her. Her range is ridiculous and zoning with her is way too darn easy. Ganking her is the only sure fire way to shut down an aggressive Caitlyn. Once she's dead, even if you're low on hp, stay in the lane if possible and grab as much exp as you can to get yourself a level advantage on her. Once she comes back, have her ganked again. Even if it fails, she'll get the message to back the hell off and you'll be able to farm more freely. No one is stupid enough to continue pushing that hard if they think a gank is around the corner.

Sinister1211

03-24-2011

The issue with early game harassment as veigar is that when mid, your main focus should be landing last hits with baleful for an early AP boost. Because of this, your first few levels will be painful against champions that have a range advantage while your last hitting. Remember to try not to waste too many Q's on champs right away. Best suggestion would be to either ask for help from your mates or stay far behind your minions and try to harass her with your EH at the tower. Once you get your full combo you will start seeing a much better balance with a champ like cait. unfortunately, Veigar's early harassment isnt too terribly strong when going mid.

Mambazo

03-24-2011

any ranged poker, ashe/mf/cait/ez, will have a very easy time against veigar.

terriblenewb4

03-24-2011

Thanks alot for your input. I like going mid as Veigar, normally I can hold my own, but this instance was really frustrating. Ill keep those tips in mind next time I face her. Thanks again.

HMS BUTTPEE

03-24-2011

Honestly, Caitlyn should be zoning you out if she's any good. Veigar has a very weak laning phase until he hits six. Then he begins to get some presence, but until then it's just...FFFFFFF.

Suuperdad

03-25-2011

Indeed, if Caitlyn isn't zoning veigar then she is horrible. She has such a crazy advantage over him until at least level 5.

Your entire goal early should be to not push the lane whatsoever. Let her push the lane to your tower and last-hit there. If you push the lane at all, it will give her the chance to get in-behind your ranged line and zone you out. By not pushing the lane, I mean don't even Q farm until things are under your tower (if you are being zoned). You want that lane pushing back into your tower so that you can get exp again.

The biggest thing though... if you are being zoned that hard, you HAVE to call for help, or else you will be so underleveled and underfarmed that it is essentially a 4v5. Especially as veigar, you will be instantly blown up in any teamfight if you get that far behind.

terriblenewb4

03-25-2011

I camped under my tower but couldnt keep up with her farm. Thanks for all the input.

MolokoDrencrom

07-15-2011

I just had the same thing happen to me, OP. I had trouble farming. This thread helped me learn a ton about veigar. All my favorite heroes (urgot, corky, heimer) aren't kill strong with my style/skill, and I wanna find a hero I can rock with without using the obvious power players. The search goes on. 8P