Gamecommanders Guide to Ryze, The Rune Mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gamecmdr

02-14-2010

{forward} This guide is underconstruction, and is just my opionion. feedback thats constructive is encouraged, and if you dont like my suggestions feel free to say so, but ell me why. This is My first attempt at a guide, so im still learning.

RYZE: ryze is a very high dps mage that can do so to multiple targets at once, but he lacks CC, which makes him not often a top elo pick. Pick Ryze if you like characters who can Do great amounts of damage to the enemy if left unchecked, and you dont mind lacking disables.

Skills

Overload: is a strait nuke that scales moderately with ap, but also with your max mana. has a pretty low manacoast at level 1, and its nice for harrassing.

Rune Prision: Holds an enemy in place for .8 to .2.4 seconds, dealing moderate damage that scales well with ap every .4 seconds. great for ganks, but doesnt stop ranged attacking or spells so not a great disable. duration increases with level, so its important to max.

Spell flux: shoots a bouncing lighting ball that lowers magic resist on hit. it has an extremely small bounce rang though, and scales aweful with levels, only 15 damage per level and an increases manacoasst, but and decently with ap.

I have 2 suggestions for builds, and they both work rather well, just 1 is a bit more tanky but also riskyer.

start with masteries the standard 9/0/21 making sure to get all the cd reduc, Mpen, and the mana regen and mana to health mastery. For Runes i like mpen reds, health per level yellow, and mp/5 blues but cd reduc works there too. and health quints, this is true for both builds.

my skill build is the same on both too its take your QWE at the first levels in whatever order you like, then max rune Ult>prison>overload>spell flux. the reason being spell fluz gains very little from levels, so its really not worth it. the duration of rune prison helps immensly in ganks and for running, so that maxed first. Overload sits nice in the middle, and Ult is too good to pass up.

For summoner spell

Flash- Take this, it is the best all around summoner spell right now, it helps for chasing, escaping, posistioning in team fights, and just about anything.

your other choice is between

Exhaust: great for disabling auto attack and stopping runners, magic resist reduc syngerizes well with spell flux.

or

Ignite: with the mastery you gain a nice 10 ap early, and it helps early ganks. doesnt scale as well late gam though.

Build 1-Max mana/ap build
my favorite item build is start with mana crystal and pots, the crystal helps you get a quick tear, and also adds a bit of a punch to your early overload. On your first trip back get boots 1 and tear, if your forced back earlyer prioritize tear. once you have tear shoot your overload every chance your get, because it has a low mana coast and willl p your max mana, nd you mp/5 runes and masteries should keep it going.

next go sorc boots, then blasting wand to archanagels. youll never have to worry about mana once you have it, so shoot your spells off at everything. Archangels syngerizes with ryze amazingly, it gives him Ap based of your max mana, and increases your max mana. both of these go great with overload.

after that you have two choices, Deathfire or Zhonas. personaly i like zhonas, because it has a good mana up for your overload, not to mention a solid 100 ap. and with your ult, archangels, and zhonas ap the plus 25 percent ap should give you a pretty sizable boost. Deathfire can help deal with thanks though, and some people just prefer it.

If the game continues (it shouldnt) buy whatever you want, rylias can work for the health and slow, or you could go the other of Zhonas DFG that you didnt earlier.

Build 2- Mejais/Survive build.

Start with a mana crystal and health pots still, then rush catalyst. after catalst, pick up mejais quick as you can. alternatively if you dont think you need the cata or are gonna get alot of early kills, the order can be reversed. next grab an Rodofages, and you can stick boots in anywhere you want. after this a zhonas works nicely, but its personaly preference, rylais or another ROA works well too.

This build focuses on mejais for the ap, and Roa letting you not die alot to Sustain mejais stacks. also the mana on roa helps overload.

Both of these builds are helped immensly by golem buff and brilliance elixers, try to grab them frequently.

ill go more into stragies and syngeries when i have time, as well as spelling/grammar/clarity of word improvements.

any thoughts?

Merovinge

02-14-2010

Samus Aran has basically the definitive guide to playing the new ryze. I would check it out and play around with his build for a bit (its like your second build) and see if you have anything different/new to add.

Gamecmdr

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovinge View Post
Samus Aran has basically the definitive guide to playing the new ryze. I would check it out and play around with his build for a bit (its like your second build) and see if you have anything different/new to add.
ive read his guide and tried his build and i like it but it doesnt quite fit my style. im not a huge fan of ghost, or the defensive mastery tree. also i like maxing overload earlyer, his tips on how to play Ryze are spot on, i just like to build him differently.