Energy Runes on Shen - worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS18a91d7ad2488507ec964

03-24-2011

Since on my ELO Rammus is banned all the time and other tanky characters are better as off-tanks (Singed, Cho'gath, Nunu) or doesn't have good initiation (Mordekaiser, Garen, Nasus) I decided to pick Shen. It's a good champion, however I find myself out of energy in the middle of the teamfight, leaving me nearly useless. The only know to me counter to this situation would be getting energy runes, but getting to the full page will take me some time, so I want to ask two questions:

1. Are energy runes any good or any other tank runes (HP/MR/Armor) are better?
2. If they make any kind of difference, should I pick the flat ones or per level ones?
3. Are they benefitable to other Ninjas (Akali, Kennen)?

Thanks in advance.

DJKittner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2011

If ur gonna get energy runes get per level cause u dont need energy early
However save a slot for mr per lvl blues cause those are awesome for any tank(its hard to itemize for mr with shen no banshees)

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2011

1. I'm of the opinion that energy regeneration runes are better than tanking runes on Shen. Flat energy however seems lackluster.
2. Per level where possible.
3. Akali doesn't benefit at all. Kennen potentially benefits.

Maihes

03-24-2011

I have full energy runes, I can agree with Montegomery though in the fact that Akali doesn't benefit at all.

Shen it is semi noticeable, Kennen definitely noticeable when you have full energy runes (I do not have quints but have yellow and blue per lvl runes)

Flat runes allow him to throw, charge into, and shield immediately, where as you are energy starved for anything past that with usual tank runes.

Do not spend the ~15k ip on energy runes if you will only use them on Shen, if you play Kennen also, it is a sound investment.

robotninjaanna

03-24-2011

Well, shen is my main tank.

Your yellows, blues and quints should pretty much be standard tank runes, so if you want energy runes i would recommend red cause magic/ armor pen aren't SUPER awesome on him. (though i do like running mp just for early vorpal)

That being said, you are probably better off getting hp or hp per level on reds and asking your carry if you can get blue occasionally, b/c it does work on energy.

bob000

03-24-2011

Shen is kinda really low on the who gets blue priority list.

KiddPablo21

03-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob000 View Post
Shen is kinda really low on the who gets blue priority list.
^^ Agree. I'd by annoyed as hell if Shen took blue.

Smellis

03-25-2011

I have them and use them so i'll offer my 2 cents

They dont give you enough to full on spam swords/shield/dash. HOWEVER you can shield/dash on cooldown without worrying about your energy for the duration of most team fights. They dont start shining till you get lvl 11 or so.