which tank to purchase?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orya

02-14-2010

Beeing pretty new to the game I bought so far Master Yi to have some melee DPS champ, and Tristana for a ranged DPS champ (yes I can use the ones that are randomly available but they're often taken and I want to stick with some for a while).

I got now 2100 IP again and wanted to purchase a tank, that I can learn well and play if noone else plays one.

If I saw that right, possible tanks for that IP are:

• Dr. Mundo. Never had a chance to play him yet but seemed interesting according to his abilities.
  • Alistar, but I see that dude so often that I get bored just by looking at the picture.
  • Sion... is that a tank too? Couldnt try him out either yet and saw him only once or twice and then nearly never met him in the match.
  • Nunu. Didn't try him out yet but doesn't seems to be funny to play from what I saw. With a big fancy ultimate and lifegain abilities and stuff.
  • Singed. Read somewhere that he is a good off-tank but not good maintank. So I'm not sure. Dunno quite what to think of him. Played him twice or so so far and I think I did kinda subpar with him.
  • Nasus... Played him a few times against bots and once against humans, and I'm not sure what to think of him either. In paper he seems to be great, but when playing him I'm a bit annoyed to try to constantly last-hit minions with the syphon thingy. If I activate it a bit too early or too late or he crits in the wrong moment it was pretty much wasted again. Also somehow the slow-doesn't seem to do that much. I mean the high life leech seems to be fun since you can't be harassed that easily early on, and popping the ultimate is probaby nice as well in a large group fight, but... I'm not sure, he seems to be a bit difficult to pilot. I never had the feeling to play him correctly even though I read some guides. Got a cool voice though.
  • Poppy... couldn't play with her either yet. I like her looks and when I played against/with her the voice seemed to be fun as well. But I wondered if the playstyle is to some degree similiar to that of Tristana. Like Tristana rocket jumps behind someone and ults that person in the right direction. With Poppy I read I should flash behind a person (though I don't have that spell yet) and charge the person in direction of a tower or wall as well. So if she is in so far similiar to Tristana maybe I should pick someone else.
  • Amumu... couldn't play with him yet either and saw him only once so far (and then rarely met him), so can't judge him. His abilities seem to be nice though.
  • Oh, and even though he costs more than I have in matters of IP there is Gragas. I liked to play him for a day or two when I just got the game. I'm not sure if he can tank well though, I saw no up to date guides and the dated one says he is inferior to most other champs... I kinda liked him anyway.
So any advice whom to spend my hard-earned points on? Any of those champs very hard to play and thus not good for newer players? Or only working if you have tons of good runes and full mastery points? Ideally he should also be not bad as DPS in case the group already has a tank and I want to play that champ anyway.

And as a general question:
You can't really tank minions, tanking towers makes rarely sense either. And I guess you can tank those dudes in the jungle but that probably takes a while too since you won't deal a lot of damage. So the main point of a tank in LoL is to be avaiable in a group fight, distract opponents and hope they're dumb enough to attack you?

Thanks for any advice.

Klazzix

02-14-2010

Tanks that wins games: Alistar, Amumu, Malphite
Tanks that are fun to play as: Sion, Nunu, Singed, Mundo
Tanks that require a bit of skill: Nasus, Gragas, Blitzcrank

I'd say get Sion and try an AP build, he doesn't get so boring since you can also make a DPS build with him so he's really quite versatile.

KaaaBLAMO

02-14-2010

The point of a tank is usually to initiate a team fight by running in first and doing something annoying, like a big stun. Since you're the only person within range they have to start attacking you, but you need to make sure your presence is still relevant so they have a reason to keep wanting you dead.

Most of the rank a tank threads put Alistar on top and I would tend to agree. His ability to soak up pain is unmatched, and his heals and general disruption through his stun and punt are great too. I personally don't find him boring, as Flash --> Stun --> Punt to tower/Heimer turret nest/angry mob of allies truly never gets old .

Rammus is quite good too but I find him boring :P.

As a side note, Mundo is a ton of fun but definitely NOT a tank. Sure he has HP and regen, but those are countered by Executioner's Calling and Madred's Bloodrazor. He's best as a DPS/Tank hybrid of sorts. He's pretty terrible at initiating too, because even though he hits reasonably hard, he's just not very disruptive.

Nunu is fun but has no real tank abilities so I'm not sure that I would call him a tank either.

I really like Amumu but honestly he feels weak. Once you blow your ult you're not a gigantic threat, though if the game goes really long and you stack Sunfire Capes you can do some hilarious constant aoe DPS.

Hope that helps!

xXghettoelf97Xx

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orya View Post
So any advice whom to spend my hard-earned points on? Any of those champs very hard to play and thus not good for newer players? Or only working if you have tons of good runes and full mastery points? Ideally he should also be not bad as DPS in case the group already has a tank and I want to play that champ anyway.

And as a general question:
You can't really tank minions, tanking towers makes rarely sense either. And I guess you can tank those dudes in the jungle but that probably takes a while too since you won't deal a lot of damage. So the main point of a tank in LoL is to be avaiable in a group fight, distract opponents and hope they're dumb enough to attack you?

Thanks for any advice.
If you want tank + DPS, go for a semi-tank like Nasus. His ult is ridiculously OP and can easily tank several enemies for a bit while you are pounding on them with spirit fire and siphoning strike. He does take a good build and a lot of practice to get good at him, but he is easily one of the most powerful team players in the game. If you want a real tank though, prepare to sacrifice DPS. Real tanks do what they say on the tin, tank and tank.

One of the main points of a tank is that tend to have some seriously disruptive abilities that the enemy can't ignore, for instance Maphite's Unstoppable Force, Blitzcrank's Pull, Alistar's knock arounds, Rammus' powerball and tremors, etc. Tanks exist to disrupt the team battle as much as possible for the enemy team while being incredibly difficult to kill. You say that tanking towers doesn't make sense, but in a lot of situations, it does. Sometimes you simply just can't wait for minions to appear and your team needsto take down that tower immediately.

There are so many reasons why tanks are invaluable to a team that I can't even list them.

Farq

02-14-2010

Try Cho'Gath, Alistair and Singed - they are all pretty good and don't have such a steep learning curve.

Orya

02-14-2010

Thanks for the advice, I'll try then Singed and Nasus again a few times while they can be played without purchasing them.

So Poppy ain't really a tank?

SmecssRaege

02-14-2010

Poppy isnt really a tank no, she kinda fits the role of part tank part DPS at the same time

I'm sure she can be built as a tank to a decent effect, b ut the more HP/MR/Armor you get on poppy, the less likely you are to proc your ever important passive (any damage that deals 10% of your health or more is reduced by 30%)

Twytch

02-14-2010

First off, ignore the post about AP Sion being a tank. I love to play that character/build, but it is NOT a tank. I would not suggest Amumu as your first tank. Very effective late game, but painful early. Finally, I find Nasus to be big and beefy, but I doesn't impact the flow of team fights which I personally feel a tank needs to do in this game.

My suggestions with reasons:

• Alistar is arguably the best tank and is easy to learn. There are also nuances that you can learn over time.
  • Rammus is also thought to be a strong tank - some say stronger than Alistar late game. I also think he is most suited to those that have a "carry" skills.
  • Blizcrank is also interesting. Not the best tank, but can easily be built to carry, heavy support, or even carry. The most versitile in that regard.
  • Singed is an okay choice and a well played one can be infuriating to the other team.

Chutzpahnaught

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-14-2010

Personally, i am a big fan of malphite, but mainly thats b/c i play annie/twitch, i.e. characters with a ton of front loaded damage.

Usually the top 3 elo tanks are malphite, amumu and allistar. Though the higher the elo, the less and less you see allistar.

Feta

02-14-2010

Get Alistar he is the best tank in the game.