Counter Jungling Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApriKot

03-21-2011

So, I'm pretty new to Jungling. I started about 3 weeks ago and do it on and off.
For a while, I was pretty successful at it. But lately, I've ran into some pretty good junglers who are able to counter jungle me by ganking at a buff or just plain getting there before me. I'm pretty good at warding, but maybe I'm just not warding in the right spots.

A question for experienced junglers who might be willing to help out someone not so experienced:
How do you counter these things? Where do you ward or how do you position yourself and pace yourself in your jungling when you're worried about a counter jungler?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Edit: Usually it doesn't happen at the first jungle I fight, but often around blue or red buff, which I usualy do at my 4th and 5th jungle creature. A friend of mine just showed me a technique that some junglers use: putting a ward in the other jungle and teleporting in on it. Pretty mean but it totally happens. From what it sounds like, I just need more practice. Thanks for all the responses.

HeartlessXiao

03-21-2011

1. Have your team defend you @ blue.
2. Ward the river bush (between mid lane and dragon/baron), if they're counterjungling, they'll usually start there.
3. Save a nuke and smite for last on buffs. It helps remembering how much damage smite does.
4. Make your support take clairvoyance to track enemy jungler's movements

LordEdge19

03-21-2011

Honestly there's not a lot you can do to prevent counter-jungle. Ask your teamate to protect your buff before the minion spawn to prevent the other jungler warding it, when you got vision of the ennemy team check their item to make sure none had a ward (exemple : If someone bot got boot + 1 health potion it probably mean that your red is warded), make sure to smite your buff proprely.

Other then that, play a strong jungler, one that stay high on life during most of his first clear, that way the ennemy jungler shouldnt be able to gank you alone, and at this point you can rely on your teamate to warn you someone is coming for you from a lane.

Please do take note that everything I said is irrelevent if you're facing shaco, in that case if he's counter jungling you, you're fcked.

Deidos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2011

I find that you most often get counter jungled at Red, so you should ward the river that leads to your Red. If you're bottom, that let's you ward Dragon too, which you should be doing. Top has it slightly more difficult, so hopefully someone else on your team isn't dumb and buys wards for Dragon/themselves. If I'm midding, I always get Wriggle's or buy wards just to cover myself.

That said, I love to ward their Blue and gank them there.I bank on them not warding the more obscure path.(why ideal placement is helpful) Ain't nothing wrong with getting an Oracle's either and sweeping the map. You can pay it back quickly in terms of gold gained and their gold lost.

Calaquendi

03-21-2011

Of course you should have your team protect you at your first buff, but after that it gets a lot harder. Warding your jungle is a good idea, and if you get ganked make sure your laners collapse into the jungle to hopefully get a kill. If its someone sneaky like a Shaco boxing its obviously way harder. My suggestion for you would be to play a few games and counterjungle yourself. You will see what works and doesn't, and by learning how to counter jungle you will learn how to avoid it.

Ahriman1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2011

In essence, to avoid being counterjungled you need to have control over your side of the jungle while maintaining the ability to survive if you get ganked. Pulling red into the bush to fight it there, warding dragon (which consequently does alot for letting you see who is where in the jungle and ganking), group protection at blue, etc.

You should look up stonewall's counterjungling videos so you can see it from the opposite side. Counterjungling isn't the most simple thing, as alot of times jungle routes vary, so the only reliable things are warded places where you can see for sure where people are (which makes clairvoyance incredibly strong for anyone looking for counterjungling potential.)

Practice good play through wards and safety measures in your jungle and you should be okay. Ping like crazy when you see someone in your jungle, as it has a good shot of netting your team a kill. Sometimes people will go into my jungle and I won't ping them, and noone on my team ever notices; dat map awareness.

Ahriman1

03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaquendi View Post
Of course you should have your team protect you at your first buff, but after that it gets a lot harder. Warding your jungle is a good idea, and if you get ganked make sure your laners collapse into the jungle to hopefully get a kill. If its someone sneaky like a Shaco boxing its obviously way harder. My suggestion for you would be to play a few games and counterjungle yourself. You will see what works and doesn't, and by learning how to counter jungle you will learn how to avoid it.
Warding common entrances to your jungle is pretty reasonable, but I see no point in warding your own buffs etc.

For example, instead of having a ward in the bush at top for the bottom team, I'd throw it a little lower so you can see the entrance to blue. You know if people are walking into the bush, so hopefully you don't need to see them directly to not get ganked by them. Same goes for dragon on the top team, warding dragon effectively wards your blue.

mojozhu

03-21-2011

1. Pick strong jungler and take smite, or else you have absolutely no ground in defending yourself from counter jungle.

2. Buy oracle/vision ward early. It's a really good investment. Great map control early game. People will be demoralized to buy any ward because you will just go and clear it.

3. Make your team pick at least 1 CV.

Jungling/counter jungling is team effort. If you're on your own, you really need a strong jungler.