Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I want to improve my Alistar.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reep

02-12-2010

Alistar has really grown on me, especially after the semi-recent changes to flash.

I'm curious what some of the High elo Alistars use in terms of summoner abilities. I feel that flash is a must, but I have been experimenting with the other slot. Ignite is my favorite so far, it really helps me snag a early game kill in combination with a Flash->Pulverize->Headbutt. I run a 9/0/21, so I can really spam ignite and flash to snag a lot of kills. I hear ghost is nice, but I don't find myself chasing that often, and since I can pull off a Headbutt->Pulverize combo quite easily, I don't feel the need to use ghost.

I've also been experimenting with the early item build. I have had success building Sheen, Boots, then Aegis, and I also have had success rushing Soul Shroud. Sunfire cape grabs me a lot of assists, and I end up getting groovy gear. What are some effective builds? Ever since I started building sheen, I've been dishing out enough DPS to actually get kills, especially with some gnarly combos I learned in another thread, so although I'm open to suggestions without sheen, I'd find it hard to do well without it.

All in all, I'm just looking for some advice on how to improve my Alistar. I seem to struggle the most in team fights, even if I ult->flash->pulverize->headbutt, because after I use all my abilities, I feel useless. Anyting helps, really. Videos, tips, builds, etc, would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

nicosharp

02-12-2010

http://www.livestream.com/nicosharp

some good alistar games that have helped out quite a few so far. (got to check the older content - newer stuff is there as a joke)

Reep

02-12-2010

Quote:
nicosharp:
www.livestream.com/nicosharp (http://www.livestream.com/nicosharp)

some good alistar games that have helped out quite a few so far.

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Silent Reaper

02-12-2010

I suggest that for masteries you get

0/9/21 (get flash and ghost upgrade)

Use Ghost and Flash as you're summoner abilities, additionally Cleanse is a pretty good spell too.

As for you're item list I usually go with this, it's a mix between Support Abilities, and Tank Potential.

1) Meki Pendant --> Chalice of Harmony
2) Sheen
3) Mercury Boots (You will almost always get these boots)
4) Glacial Shroud ---> Frozen Heart
6) Haunting Guise
7) Guardian Angel
8) Trinity Force
9) If you still have extra cash flowing, replace Haunting Guise with Warmogs OR Force of Nature.

For you're Runes, its really a variety but I suggest
Red Runes: Magic Penetration
Alot of people say Armor Penetration is better because you can hit harder....truth is, you're abilities will do a hell'ovalot more damage then you're normal attack can, ESPECIALLY at the beggining of the game.
Yellow Runes: Armor
Now, this part can be tricky....Flat Armor gives a decent amount of armor which can give you a bit of an advantage early game. There is also armor per level which gives aprox. 2 times more armor by the time you hit level 18. If you feel like you're taking alot of hits early game, and you keep dying often, take Flat Armor, I usually can withstand dying with over-time armor and in the end, it usually pays of drastically.
Blue Runes: This choice is a variety, but I won't go into too much detail...
Magic Resiste, Cooldown or Mana Regen. There are no "buts" to this section. Extra mana, ability power, or health are useless.

As for team fights...yes, its a bit tricky.
For simple gank situations, the best thing to do is to first hit with pulverize.
THEN hit once you're enemy with you're normal attack (sheen makes you do twice as much damage, which is the equivilent of +100 damage) and then hit them with Headbutt.
Note: Its common sense that while attacking a team that you headbutt one solo player to you're entire team so they can down the champion easily.

If you are in a teamfight however, more precaution is used... In these circumstances it is best to first turn on Ultimate. THEN flash beside two nearby enemies or mutiple (so they get stunned) and headbutt one of them to you're teamates. At this moment, you're best option is to either
a) Attack, cast Roar and then keep trying to do damage
b) Just run so that you don't die...

Early Game Strategy

This simple gank helps you kill newbies...
Wait until the opportune moment comes when the enemy is JUST outside tower reach.
Then simple Flash in, Pulverize, Headbutt towards Tower.
= Easy Kill.
I've done this repeatedly, and they still keep falling for it.

Only until you reach a higher ELO, do most players realize that they have to be careful around an Alistar...

Also, you're main goal is not to get Kills (even though you will get several of them). You're actually Job is to make sure you help feed you're team.

Ex: Last game my score was 6-8-25.
the temmo on my team had 31 kills. Simple as that.

LLastly, when starting out the game. You're spells should be in this order

Headbutt
Pulverize
Roar
Roar
Roar
Ultimate
Roar

After that, you can just speard you're points evenly between Headbutt and Pulverize.

Now, you may ask why the hell do you want to upgrade that @@@@y spell. At level 5 it heals only 150 Hp....

This is the reason..
Remember when you got Sheen?
Yes, this is where the fun comes in...
In the laning phase, cast Roar (sheen activates), last hit a creep, cast roar again, and keep doing this until the entire creep wave is down.

You'll notice that you're entire creep wave is just massing up because you kept healing them, additionally, you're healing you'eself consantly.

Because you're last hitting creeps you're reducing the cooldown by 4 seconds (one third), and you have reduced cooldowns from you're items / masteries. This allows you to spam you're healing spell each time.
So in the end with a sheen you'e investement pays off with
Sheen Ability (Twice the base damage)
Heals you, and all nearby allies INCLUDING CHAMPIONS by 150 points.
This allows for some extreme pushing

Hope it helps

Equos

02-12-2010

maybe i'm too much of a traditionalist, but why play a tank if you want kills?
i am seeing more and more alistairs get sheen (and even tri force) and I just don't get it.
i mean yeah it can be fun to get kills on alistair with a good combo but you're killing his potential by building toward that

nicosharp

02-13-2010

it depends on the first 10 minutes of the game which way Alistar should be built. Sheen first is not a bad way to start, especially if you are not in a 5 man premade, and if you do not see yourself in a heal+push Strat team. Triforce really depends. I had to just yell at my friend that went triforce, cause he wasnt paying attention to the Magic damage the other team was doing. He should have been stacking Magic Resist , but knowing the item build based on team comp comes after many many games and knowledge of how to counter champs/builds.

Reep

02-13-2010

Quote:
Equos:
i am seeing more and more alistairs get sheen (and even tri force) and I just don't get it.
i mean yeah it can be fun to get kills on alistair with a good combo but you're killing his potential by building toward that

Sheen is great on Alistar, it easily doubles your damage early game, and you can get in a good 3 procced hits when doing a Pulverize->Headbutt->Triumphant Roar Combo. I really feel that rushing sheen (after grabbing boots of speed) gives you complete dominance of your lane, and if you're laning with any carry, they can farm in peace (and get lots of kills if you're good!)

Sheen also doubles your already increased damage to turrets due to your passive, and triumphant roar is easily spammable, especially when the turret is killing all your minions.

I do agree that the money spent on triforce is much better spent on survivability. To clarify, it's not that I want kills, it's that if done properly, sheen can do some serious damage, enough to give easy kills to your lanemate.

Remunial

02-13-2010

Quote:

Building Alistar as a tank is killing his potential IMO. Some defensive stuff helps but all out tank items is overkill with his ult. Honestly I think most people get Sheen on Alistar for creep kills and for that little bit of extra damage while pulverize+headbutt are on cooldown (can still use heal to proc Sheen afterwards).

I play as Alistar the most and i've used a lot of different builds. I've found there is really no wrong way to build him (most of the time). Sheen is in most of my builds just for the creep kills. And it's not like the other stats on it are useless on Alistar.

Full support works on him. Something like Aegis, Locket, Soul Shroud, etc. Even the new Spirit Visage helps him heal for more now. If the enemy doesn't get an Exe Calling then Level 5 Heal + Locket + Spirit Visage keeps pushes going on forever.

DPS actually helps him out alot as well since he can still take heavy damage. Something like Tri Force-->Atma's-->Soul Shroud (HP for atmas+cooldowns for more stuns) works well too. He's not going to be carrying the team or anything but he can hit fairly high if built correctly. Like i said before, it will allow you to help out more in team fights after your initial stun+punt.

A tank build CAN be effective I suppose. I just think it's overkill along with his Ult. The enemy is already going to be ignoring you after you initiate (if they're smart) so there isn't really a point in going all out tank items. If they've done their job they will ignore you with your ult on while they're taking out your team. If your team is dead or have run away already then your going to die anyway since your Ult is down and now their entire team is focused on you.

Reep

02-13-2010

Quote:
Remunial:

A tank build CAN be effective I suppose. I just think it's overkill along with his Ult. The enemy is already going to be ignoring you after you initiate (if they're smart) so there isn't really a point in going all out tank items. If they've done their job they will ignore you with your ult on while they're taking out your team. If your team is dead or have run away already then your going to die anyway since your Ult is down and now their entire team is focused on you.

^^^^^^^^^^
This is why I agree with Silent Reaper's build. Trinity Force costs too much, especially if you're buildling Merc Treads. I just went 8/0/8 with Sheen, Mercury Treads and Frozen Heart. Alistar works REALLY well with champions going for the "Glass Cannon" build (BF sword Ashe, Crit Gankplank, etc), because his pure tankyness (especially with Frozen Heart) gives your enemies enough reason to stay away, and yet they really CAN'T stay away with Alistar's Pulverize->Headbutt combo. I also managed to snag a golem buff, my level 2 heal was spammable enough to keep my team at full HP.

Alistar is easily becoming my favorite champion. Again, thank you all for your tips.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I seem to have the most success if I pump Headbutt first.

Dragonmount

02-13-2010

Sheen
Merc Treads
Banshee
Aegis
Warmogs

or.. my favorite..

Dorans Ring
Sheen
Sorc Boots
Soulstealer
Rylais
Deathfire

(ignite/flash) Don't underestimate AP Alistar. I'm convinced that right now it is the absolute best way to play him. Very little letdown in tanking ability thanks to his ult. His pulverize will be hitting 2-3 people for ~500 damage, and the unlucky guy you headbutt will take a total of 1k damage.

He can farm, fight, tank.. and he's perfect for the current metagame. I've swapped out sheen for an Aegis before and had great results also. You're not useless after your 1-2 combo because of ignite/deathfire.