[Discussion] The New Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voidgolem

02-11-2010

If it does, an AP body-slamming build could be very nasty indeed.

SilentWhisper

02-11-2010

gragas is an excellent tank (as far as taking a beating) because of drunken rage. The key is to get the enemy to focus on you and not your squishy team mates. This is actually somewhat easy, you just have to be the initiator and very flashy. in group fights i always open up with a barrel and then a chrage right after it. you're in their faces now and most players will instinctively attack the closest enemy. if they ignore you then charge them again as soon as it cools down, the slow will help keep them off your buddies. usually since i'm the closest target they end up beating on me while my team takes them down. as for items i honestly just make him a pure tank for the most part (armor or magic resist as needed) and with maybe one decent weapon (usually frost hammer) to give myself at least a little damage dealing.

Shiny Kitty

02-11-2010

But him as a tank only works if the other team is relatively stupid. Gragas as a tank is one BAMF, but there's no reason to attack him as he can do no damage. Smart players should just ignore him since he's really really hard to kill with a proper tank build and since he probably won't kill anyone.

All GUCCI Bro

02-11-2010

well for 1 thing what does Gragas bring to a Team Fight and why would i want him over Alistar or Chogath or Malphite..?

AmyOverlord

02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz GUCCI View Post
well for 1 thing what does Gragas bring to a Team Fight and why would i want him over Alistar or Chogath or Malphite..?
He has nothing over them.

Cho'Gath is relative to Gragas in ways, expect that Cho'Gath regenerates mana and health from killing minions. He also gets much more health because of Feast. His Rupture (which slows and has AoE average damage) and an AoE 2 second silence in a cone.

Malphite is able to do constant AoE damage with Ground Slam, which scales with his armor rating. Brutal Strikes makes his basic attacks turn into semi-AoE attacks. He also does more melee damage when activated. Then he has Seismic Shard which slows his target and increases his own, since it "steals" their movement speed. His ultimate is unrivaled in a team fight.

Alistar has a 2 second AoE stun, a knockback, a tiny AoE heal that is very spammable, and his ult makes him the most tanky champion in the game.

TL;DR - Gragas brings nothing to the table compared to these other tanks. The ONLY worthwhile thing he can do is use Exploding Cask to punt people into a tower at low levels.

Joru

02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor87 View Post
Now that could work going with a body slam and then another but the problem is that unless you body slam when there's no enemies around, all it takes is one melee hit and your boost is wasted to which you need to get it up again.
If Lichbane works the way I think it does, then you wouldn't have to go out of your way to charge it. The moment you hit the body slam button, before you've even hit anything, the buff should already be up. The only way to NOT do boosted damage would be to activate Lichbane with some other ability, use it up with an autoattack, and then bodyslam before the internal cooldown is up.

Of course, Body Slam will still kind of suck because it's automatically worthless if there's more than one enemy in the impact zone. But at least you'll still have the AP for your barrels, so it's a heck of a lot better than stacking attack damage only to find yourself totally shut down just by the enemy formation.

Chthulu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2010

I've had alright success a while a go using a Trinity Force (pre "buff") and CDR to proc the Sheen (Trinity, really) as often as possible with Body Slam, but I haven't been doing it of late.

The new Spirit Visage is fantastic on him, improving happy hour by 30%, and adding natural regen and CDR. Problem being that it doesn't add to his max HP.

Before that change I would focus on a Soul Shroud first (I tend to get it second now - start with a rejuv bead and a faerie charm, and then get the Spirit Visage and Mana Manipulator in a fell swoop afterwards) which also provides mana regen, HP, and CDR.

Of course, if your laning partner is mana reliant, starting with a Mana Manipulator can be quite helpful.

The two together (Spirit Visage and Soul Shroud) mean that you can sustain any position, with an exception, perhaps, of being in the center of a few enemies, pretty much indefinitely.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter adds a tremendous amount of utility (and ~80 damage) to your Barrel Roll and Cask Toss, and it's helpful, but doesn't make a big difference, on Body Slam.

Problem being, Gragas isn't exactly a stellar farmer, and his ability to contribute to fights is minimal - all of the items listed, except Rylai's, don't help your team too much... except that you can hold down a tower pretty darn well.

I'd go for an Atma's from there - and you have room for boots and one other item.
It still leaves him feeling way too underwhelming, IMO, but he's totally fun to play.

Most of my kills come from Ignite, making it practically essential, and indeed, if someone is foolish enough to try and confront you "alone" (creeps are around, but you're able to hold your own) a belly slam that hits only them hurts.

I think his Body Slam needs to scale damage based off of his HP, and his Barrel Roll (and perhaps even Cask Toss) need buffs before he really starts pulling his weight, but he is a fun character.

Shiny Kitty

02-12-2010

Gragas's drunken rage with the right CDR can CONSTANTLY prevent 26% damage. Combined with armor he is a much better tank than alistar because the damage migitation is constant. Alistar's ult is short, and doesn't have have a short cooldown.

HarlockJC

02-12-2010

What would you say is the best armor for him. What is your first buy?

C0heed

02-12-2010

The best way thing you can do is to NEVER pick Gragas. The only viable build for him is a tank build... but even as a tank, the opposing team shouldn't be attacking Gragas.

Gragas can't do anything to scare the other team. He damage is trash, his attack speed is slow, his ULT is buggy.

I have yet to see a viable Gragas. Someone please post a link where Gragas did anything but actually bring your team down.