[Discussion] The New Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shiny Kitty

02-11-2010

Hey, I've been looking for a build for Gragas for a really long time but no one ever uses him, so, no build. He has so much potential due to his drunken rage. With the skill maxed out, it gives him 26% resistance to dmg and 70 extra damage. That's a B.F. sword and two long swords AND 26% resistance to all attacks! And with the proper CDR, you can have drunken rage constantly on. I don't really see how it could get any better...
SO
Let's discuss some builds

EDIT: Whatever you do...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use AP Gragas D: If you do then you're going to have one hell of a time trying to convince me that he's anywhere near decent.

Important things to note about Gragas' skills:
Barrel Roll:
-Can block Blitzcrank's Grab. VERY useful when fighting against him....happened to me today.
Drunken Rage:
-Nothing yet
Body Slam:
-The cool down on body slam doesn't seem to go any lower than 3.6 seconds.

Trogdor's DPS build---->This is an AP build. If it really does work...let me know. But I don't have all that much hope in AP Grag builds
Sapphire Crystal
Boots of Swiftness
Rod of Ages
Nashor's Tooth
Soul Shroud
Void Staff
Skill order: Barrel-->drunken rage-->drunken rage-->slam-->drunken rage
Purpose: Barrel does plenty of damage at low levels. Then, drunken rage provides you with mana, a damage boost, and great damage resistance. After that you can start spam slamming.

My build (in testing):
Rejuvination Beads+Lots of mana and hp potions
Rejuvination-->Soul Visage
Boots of Speed-->Berserker's Greaves
Sheen
Nashor's
Force of Nature
Game Records with this build (2)= 10-3-10 2-3-11 More to come!
The key to this build is in being patient. I soloed the bottom lane and just tower hugged...eventually the other guys will lose their patience and start attacking. That's when you start attacking.

RECOMMENDED SUMMONER SKILLS=Teleport and ignite.

AFKray

02-11-2010

I've been preaching this before his changes. AP is the WRONG way. It really doesn't suit him and it just peachy that they are 1:1. However, Body Slam has a tiny cooldown and combined with some HP + Armor/MR items and an Atma's you will have amazing survivability if u add in DR and good regen with a Soul Shroud + Passive + BSlam spam along with high as hell physical damage. Pop a Green Potion and you are cooking.

Shiny Kitty

02-11-2010

Yeah personally I get barrel roll for lvl 1 because it does decent dmg then. After that I go with slam, rage, slam, rage etc. I've never thought about getting Atma's though.
Is Brutalizer a good idea? It's cheap, gives Amor piercing dmg and 10% cooldown.

Captain Scro

02-11-2010

did they buff him or something?

I really like his skills and playstyle but when he was first released he just felt weaker than everyone else...

also, im deff interested in some good builds with him, hp+atmas sounds like something to try out

Shiny Kitty

02-11-2010

he got way stronger than everyone else. His drunken rage cooldown was reduced to 28 seconds but it lasts only 20 seconds now. still...only have to wait 8 seconds now. And it gives 10 more bonus dmg..i think it used to give 60 at max lvl but now it gives 70

The Bacon Dragon

02-11-2010

Surprisingly I won a game recently by just going with the suggested build. Unless you can hit with his body slam on one target a majority of the time in fights, alone building up his damage only works so much since he has a really slow attack speed.

I start off in the game by going

Barrel Roll
DR
DR
Body Slam
DR
EC at 6-11-16

Basically by maxing out DR early, you give yourself the damage resistance which can be quite useful in early fights and with your other moves costing little mana you'll be able to drink enough each time. Then I max out Body Slam for a few reasons, one at level 5 it will deal a good amount of damage, costs little mana, gives a nice speed boost to get away, and provides a wonderful slow/chase ability in one.

Really by maxing out the low mana abilities first you can take advantage of his passive.

If you're waiting for a creep wave to reach your tower but can't go out because you're low health and the opposing champions can get you. Just use body slam, DR, and a level 1 barrel over and over to get your health up. With your DR at max level you can get mana up quicker or at least have enough to use your Ult in a sticky situation.

For Summoner Spells I go with Ignite and Flash

Surprisingly if you have to go against another champ solo then the combination of EC, Ignite, Body Slam ,for the slow at least if there's creeps, and barrel roll to finish off/cut off their escape. You can get a good kill early against a low health champion.

Shiny Kitty

02-11-2010

Hmmmm I'll try that. Care to list out the items so we can have a list easy to access? I'll put it in my first post and give you the credit

The Bacon Dragon

02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theferrets View Post
Hmmmm I'll try that. Care to list out the items so we can have a list easy to access? I'll put it in my first post and give you the credit
It's the suggested build in game, some people may think its AP but in the end I find it provides a good balance since the CD reductions items allow you to access DR more often to higher melee damage which in turn gives a boost to your body slam damage.

I believe the Items go
Sapphire Crystal
Boots of Swiftness
Rod of Ages
Nashor's Tooth
Soul Shroud
Void Staff

The 6th item I'm still not quite sure, it's not really worth boosting his attack speed since I find he has the lowest in game I think. I think what would suit him best is Frozen Mallet for slowing people down with just one hit and the extra health boost. That or Thornmail since I was getting focused quite early in team fights and with DR's help made it through quite a few of them.

Plus I find that getting the in game suggested items aren't that costly and can easily be gotten by level 18.

With my playstyle in those games I was going solo mid because our twitch wouldn't and after thinking that it would end badly I actually did quite well with him for solo mid.

Voidgolem

02-11-2010

Here's a question:

Body slam damage: Does it take Sheen/Lichbane into account?

The Bacon Dragon

02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
Here's a question:

Body slam damage: Does it take Sheen/Lichbane into account?
I'd have to test this, the problem is that usually I don't get Sheen or Lichbane with him because if you wanted to have the damage up before you body slam then you must use one of your other abilities which will always be higher than body slam.

The lowest cooldown for body slam that I think I've seen is 3.6 seconds.

Now that could work going with a body slam and then another but the problem is that unless you body slam when there's no enemies around, all it takes is one melee hit and your boost is wasted to which you need to get it up again.

With that factoring going on you don't have a lot of time to test when facing a good enemy team.

In short though I believe it would add into the body slam damage.