Pantheon: "Kick 'em into a well!"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phoxly

02-11-2010

Iím goin to write this guide purely as a reference guide for people who play Pantheon and would like a little guidance with him. I donít like long obnoxious guides with ridiculous narratives, so I will try to keep this short and sweet. If you donít wanna read the full thing, or are here cause you are waiting at champion select and need to know how to play him ASAP. CTRL + F tl;dr.

Passive: Every 4th attack will enable Pantheon to block one normal physical attack that would do more than 40 dmg.

Q: Pantheon throws a spear of awesomeness at his opponent. For its cheap mana cost this is by far the best harassment tool you have against mid ranged champions you may be laning against.

W: Pantheon jumps on his target, stunning them cause a giant Spartan just jumped on them. ĎNuff said.

E: Pantheon thrusts his spear multiple times in front of him, doing 18-25% of his attack dmg 5 times, dealing double damage to champions. Excellent skill but really not that good damage wise until you get more attack dmg to proc it.

R: Pantheon jumps to target location, and deals a ton of dmg to people he lands next to. Has a 3-4 second cast time, and then a circle appears on the ground and he will land after 2 seconds. What can I say, the boy has hops. Kind of a difficult spell to land, but as soon as the circle appears on the ground, summoner spells become usable, so you can exhaust people in the circle, or you can flash to move where he lands if they run out of the circle. (Kind of an exploit, but thatís what you get for giving him a long cast for this spell.

Leveling Skils: Skyfall > Heartseeker > Spear> Aegis
Lvl 1: Aegis
Lvl 2: Spear
Lvl 3 Heartseeker
Lvl 4: Heartseeker/Spear
Lvl 5: Heartseeker/Spear
Lvl 6: Ultimate

Summoner Spells:
Exhaust: Works excellent for Aegis + Exhaust + Heartseeker strike. Definitely want this.

Flash: Great for getting into a fight, getting out of a fight, ganking, and like I said before, when his ultimateís circle touches the ground you can use flash to change where he lands so it hits people on the edge of his circle. Another technique for someone in the edge range of their tower is to flash to them from the bush, aegis, spear, heartseeker, basically just kill them using the element of surprise.

Teleport: Donít always recommend this because if you stay in lane til level 6, you can use your ult to get back to your lane after you ďbĒ back to base.

Clarity: lol no.

Items/Strategy:

Quote:
Early Game
Vampiric Scepter [Starter]
BF Sword [First Trip to Town!]
Beserker Greaves
This should always be the start of your game, you basically ALWAYS want this to be your start, unless you get totally raped early game (which you shouldnít). Vampiric scepter lets you stay in lane, granted you are able to hit creeps to get HP. Its pretty easy to get these items before you are level 10, at which point you should begin ganking/pushing lanes really hard. The hardest part about this is staying in lane for the full amount of time required to get the BF sword. Keep laning and killing creeps until you can get your BF sword. Even without the sword you can still take out most people in the early game, try to lane with someone with a slow, snare, stun, or other CC.

Quote:
Midgame:
Brutalizer or Bloodthirster
Phage or Brutalizer or Bloodthirster
Last Whisper
These items are things you should have by the time the game is over. Many people donít realize that Bloodthirster is actually like having 2 BF swords, because you can get up to 100 dmg with it after killing 40 minions (and with heartseeker strike its VERY easy). Each time you kill a minion your heartseeker gets stronger! I prefer to get items in the above order, but some are SITUATIONAL items and you should get them as you feel you need them (bloodthirster is a must!) If you notice, most of the above items requires a short sword. So if you arenít really sure what to get but only have about 500g, get a short sword and run back to lane. I like to get Brutalizer first, and then depending on how hard hitting/fed the enemy team is, and how well they are ganking; I will work on my Bloodthirster or get a ruby crystal for HP ( to build into phage) or get Last Whisper for more ASPD and faster killing.

Quote:
Endgame
Frozen Mallet
Black Cleaver
If you are kicking ass already and donít feel like you need the Frozen Mallet, you can always get the Giant Belt, and then get your BF sword if really needed. If you happen to make it to the end game of this build, you can pretty much 1v1 any player in the game, and initialize a fight decently too.

Teamfights/Turrets:
I usually try to be the second person into the fight, usually with Aegis Strike, and then followed by a heartseeker strike, and a spear if they run away. In team fights where people are grouped up tightly, heartseeker strike can really destroy a group of people. If you are defending a turret and they run in with 10 minions, try to heartseeker strike them AND the minions so the minions die and the turret will then target the champion, then aegis stun them, and spear/auto attack if you think you can get a kill.

Ganking/Pushing
I have easily gotten 15+ kills using the Flash + Aegis for a surprise attack. When you have an enemy at low HP and they are hugging their turret, but are just out of your range and the turretís range. Its obvious if you run up to them to hit them they will run away, so I try to hide in the bushes closest to their tower (top and bot) and then run out, flash, aegis stun, exhaust, heartseeker, auto attack, spear, run off before the turret kills you.

Backdooring/Surprise Attacks + Ultimate
If you reach your endgame where you have a Cleaver + BT + Frozen Mallet, you can use your ultimate to get to their tower, and easily backdoor their turret from half HP. I have tried to backdoor one from full HP, but they usually get me. Surprise attacks with pantheonís ultimate work best when you have a lot of CC/stun/slow on your team that can keep the enemy around long enough for you to ult in. If you miss them, donít be discouraged because I like to think of his ult as a method of transportation, as well as a method for scaring people away from a turret.

DO NOT FORGET THE FLASH + EXHAUST TRICK!: When using your ultimate, as soon as that circle appears on the ground you can use your summoner spells to keep them inside that circle, or even move where he lands by using flash and exhaust.

Quote:
tl;dr:

Items:
Vamp Scepter
BF Sword
Beserker Greaves
Brutalizer or Finish Blood Thirster
Brutalizer or Finish Blood Thirster
Phage and/or Last Whisper
Frozen Mallet
Black Cleaver

Summoner Spells: Exhaust/Flash (NEVER CLARITY!)

Skills: R>E>Q>W (One point in each, the max spear + heartseeker)

Cereal

Adjudicator

02-11-2010

WOW, thanks man.

I've used him twice and just had bad teammates and was versus Ryze and Poppy and couldn't farm. (stilll owned one of those games).

Didn't know about using summoner abilities when circle is on ground. That will have me play him again, otherwise that ult needs some serious work.

Good simple and concise guide.

Phoxly

02-11-2010

The ultimate was the reason I stopped playing him, but then I started again when I learned the summoner abilities with the circle on the ground trick, which may be why they didn't add the ultimate buff this patch, and might do somethin different.

I agree, Ryze is a monster to lane against with any physical DPS.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2010

Canceling his ult during the channel is also a really good thing to learn. If the situation you were trying to jump into changes too much, and you're still channeling (you aren't actually in the air yet), you can move to cancel the ult. It will go on cool down, but be greatly reduced (20-30 seconds I think).

Phoxly

02-11-2010

Thats a good point too, knowing how to cancel his ult helps alot too.

Phoxly

02-12-2010

Bump for some feedback on the guide.

I'd like to update if anyone has some more to include?

Btw anyone see that Pantheon build where he gets 2 Phantom Dancers and an Infinity edge?? o.0

Fbsunny

02-12-2010

Having black cleaver, last whisper, armor pen runes, and brutallizer is a bit overkill. I would either choose to get black cleaver and stark's (which would make you destroy low armor targets) or get Last whisper+ brutallizer, which is better against tanks/armor stackers. Getting both is ok, but generally there will be a lot of waste in this build.

Also I prefer to start with boots over vamp scepter. With 2 hp pots I can almost always stay in my lane at least till level 6, at which time I can ult back so I don't lose any exp. The extra speed adds to his already fast base move speed, allowing you to be faster then anyone you will be laning against, which is helpful for both getting kills and not dieing.

Also getting a Brutalizer before your BF swords is sometimes useful, if your enemy has more armor then you have pen from runes and masteries this will increase your damage almost as much and since it is cheaper you can get it sooner if you had to go back prematurely.

Phoxly

02-12-2010

Well I RARELY ever make it to black cleaver. So its really

BT
Brutalizer
Phage
Last Whisper
Frozen Mallet

Phoxly

02-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbsunny View Post
Having black cleaver, last whisper, armor pen runes, and brutallizer is a bit overkill. I would either choose to get black cleaver and stark's (which would make you destroy low armor targets) or get Last whisper+ brutallizer, which is better against tanks/armor stackers. Getting both is ok, but generally there will be a lot of waste in this build.

Also I prefer to start with boots over vamp scepter. With 2 hp pots I can almost always stay in my lane at least till level 6, at which time I can ult back so I don't lose any exp. The extra speed adds to his already fast base move speed, allowing you to be faster then anyone you will be laning against, which is helpful for both getting kills and not dieing.

Also getting a Brutalizer before your BF swords is sometimes useful, if your enemy has more armor then you have pen from runes and masteries this will increase your damage almost as much and since it is cheaper you can get it sooner if you had to go back prematurely.

If I don't get a kill or two before level 6-10 and I have like 1300 gold I will get a brutalizer instead of my first BF sword.

Like I said the items are situational. The BF + Blood THirster is th eonly part I ALWAYS get, sometimes I will skip brutalizer for Phage for more HP, other times I skip both for Last Whisper for 1v1ing other physical carries who can't keep up with my aegis block.