[Guide] Cassiopeia - Learn to Unlock Your True Potential

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

karmaiko

04-21-2011

I have a different approach to Cass, but it seems to be working for me so far. I picked her up after she was available in the randoms last week and have fallen for her play style. Her Q is powerful early if you can land it consistently (I seem to have a knack for it anyways).
My talents: 9/0/21
I'm only 22, but my runes are:
Greater Marks of Insight
Greater Seal of Potency
Greater Glyph of Potency
Greater Quintessence of Potency
My skills -> Q, E, Q, E, E, R, Q, E, Q, Q, R, W, E, W, W, W, W, W
For summoner skills I take Ignite and Flash
I find W is really only useful for a slow, its damage output is negligible and it's not spammable. I sometimes mix it up and go Q, E, Q, E, Q, R I'm able to hit the enemy champ with Noxious Blast frequently.
My build -> Boots/pots, Sapphire Crystal/pots, or Dorans ring. Pots depend on my lane and enemy team composition
Boots of Mobility are next to allow mobility, lane coverage, and ganking.
Rylais is next, getting the belt first so you can lane well and hold your own during close encounters. Once Rylais is done, I build to accomodate the enemy team. I've found a Hextech Revolver can work for laning and keeping you up in sticky situations but I usually sell it at 18 for something more potent. If I pickup early kills quickly, I don't hesitate in getting a Haunting Guise before Rylai because of its massive damage and survivability boost.
Any time I go back to base I pickup healing/mana pots 2/2 until about level 11.
There have been games Warmog's has made the difference between life and death. The extra ~1000 HP makes Cass very tanky.

Essentially my play style is adaptable and flexible but follows a general pattern of adaptability and high damage output early game to pickup kills, demoralize and sow dissention in the enemy team, push hard and level fast.
I would like to also draw attention to Flash over the use of Ghost. I've tried both and prefer the former because it gives you survivability in escaping from melee/congested team fights quickly, but also (and this is key) allows for instant positioning of your ultimate making it very difficult for the enemy team to compensate for it; they have to be on their toes at all times because at any instant you can port in and blast them.

Typically I find I can get fb and enemy team kills quickly, early, and often due to the extremely potent output of repeated Q applications. People underestimate its damage output, and combined with Ignite and Boots of Mobility champions rarely escape.

My preferred laning opponents are carries such as Ashe, Cait, or Sivir, or even Karthus. Any low hp hero that can be torn up quickly with a few hits makes for a quick kill. I'm sure most people prefer these too, it's just been my experience that they go down quickly to a few Noxious Blasts and a quick Flash/Twin Fang chase puts them down even beside their tower.

At 30 I'll likely have to change my playstyle a bit because the build lacks the stronger endgame that stat per level runes have, but for pub stomping it's going great. Now if the feeders would get their act together everyone would be happy!

karmaiko

04-21-2011

I have a different approach to Cass, but it seems to be working for me so far. I picked her up after she was available in the randoms last week and have fallen for her play style. Her Q is powerful early if you can land it consistently (I seem to have a knack for it anyways).
My talents: 9/0/21
I'm only 22, but my runes are:
Greater Marks of Insight
Greater Seal of Potency
Greater Glyph of Potency
Greater Quintessence of Potency
My skills -> Q, E, Q, E, E, R, Q, E, Q, Q, R, W, E, W, W, W, W, W
For summoner skills I take Ignite and Flash
I find W is really only useful for a slow, its damage output is negligible and it's not spammable. I sometimes mix it up and go Q, E, Q, E, Q, R I'm able to hit the enemy champ with Noxious Blast frequently.
My build -> Boots/pots, Sapphire Crystal/pots, or Dorans ring. Pots depend on my lane and enemy team composition
Boots of Mobility are next to allow mobility, lane coverage, and ganking.
Rylais is next, getting the belt first so you can lane well and hold your own during close encounters. Once Rylais is done, I build to accomodate the enemy team. I've found a Hextech Revolver can work for laning and keeping you up in sticky situations but I usually sell it at 18 for something more potent. If I pickup early kills quickly, I don't hesitate in getting a Haunting Guise before Rylai because of its massive damage and survivability boost.
Any time I go back to base I pickup healing/mana pots 2/2 until about level 11.
There have been games Warmog's has made the difference between life and death. The extra ~1000 HP makes Cass very tanky.

Essentially my play style is adaptable and flexible but follows a general pattern of adaptability and high damage output early game to pickup kills, demoralize and sow dissention in the enemy team, push hard and level fast.
I would like to also draw attention to Flash over the use of Ghost. I've tried both and prefer the former because it gives you survivability in escaping from melee/congested team fights quickly, but also (and this is key) allows for instant positioning of your ultimate making it very difficult for the enemy team to compensate for it; they have to be on their toes at all times because at any instant you can port in and blast them.

Typically I find I can get fb and enemy team kills quickly, early, and often due to the extremely potent output of repeated Q applications. People underestimate its damage output, and combined with Ignite and Boots of Mobility champions rarely escape.

My preferred laning opponents are carries such as Ashe, Cait, or Sivir, or even Karthus. Any low hp hero that can be torn up quickly with a few hits makes for a quick kill. I'm sure most people prefer these too, it's just been my experience that they go down quickly to a few Noxious Blasts and a quick Flash/Twin Fang chase puts them down even beside their tower.

At 30 I'll likely have to change my playstyle a bit because the build lacks the stronger endgame that stat per level runes have, but for pub stomping it's going great. Now if the feeders would get their act together everyone would be happy!

attackfrog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-26-2011

Thanks for this guide! After trying Cassiopeia the other week and finally saving up the points, I still wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with it. But your guide's convinced me!

nukular power

05-04-2011

Thanks a lot for the tips

Akraizel

05-22-2011

This guide is awesome. I've got a question, though...

You start with mana crytal + pots, buy boots and rush a catalyst. Then you get a Rylai's instantly? Or build something in-between?

I'd love a video guide, or even a stream from you. As Cassiopeia is a very unpopular champion, it's difficult to find people who know a lot about her and are, also, willing to teach others.

BigDaddyDelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akraizel View Post
This guide is awesome. I've got a question, though...

You start with mana crytal + pots, buy boots and rush a catalyst. Then you get a Rylai's instantly? Or build something in-between?

I'd love a video guide, or even a stream for you. As Cassiopeia is a very unpopular champion, it's difficult to find people who know a lot about her and are, also, willing to teach others.
Typically my build order looks something like this:

-Mana Crystal + 2hp pots
-Boots +1
-Catalyst
-Boots +3
-Haunting Guide
-Rylais

Really it's up to you for what you get first. I've actually really grown to like Haunting Guise on Cass because she scales just so well with flat ap and mpen, and I sacrifice Sorc Boots for Swiftness Boots because mobility is such a big part of how I play her. Haunting Guise lets me still take the mpen while also upgrading my ap and health for a very reasonable cost.

And I don't really have the money for recording equipment but my friend said that he'd help me start getting a stream ready. It's just that I'm entering the military pretty soon so idk how much a stream would work out, much less if I got any viewers lol.

Also, feel free to add me in game. I accept all friend requests and if you want me to I can show you the ropes. Also, the LOLReplay I provided is a good example of some of the things I mentioned in my guide.

Sooty

05-22-2011

I hate to say this but I've seen another Cass guide that is a lot better, namely this one:
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...he-grass.xhtml

Where you really falter IMO is when you making unreflective sweeping statements, like "try not to hit creeps with your spells so that you don't overpush your lane". This kind of advice makes your guide very shallow. And I think this is a really crucial thing to note when it comes to Cass.

I'll just share a little of what I learnt when I used her when she was still free, and from reading the other guide. Cass has a rather unique laning phase compared to other heroes. She has a relatively hard time farming with a 'last hit only' style compared to other APs, due to her somewhat poor attack animation, her noxious blast doing DoT and her twin fang having poor range.

On the other hand, she excels at clearing waves quickly and safely using Blast + Miasma on back line creeps from level 2 onwards (before slithering away to a safer dancing distance), which means that she can force the enemy to put some effort on damaging your creeps or risk getting outfarmed because they can't farm well under the tower, after your creeps march straight to it after killing the melee critters.

All this means that Cass is best situated at the safer mid lane (thanks to the range at which she can operate from) where creeps also take less time to reach the enemy tower, and also means that Cass benefit from wards moreso than champs who have to stick around for a sustained period of time in order to farm, and also benefit more from having a jungler that controls the enemy jungler like Nunu instead of a ganking jungler like Rammus.

Long story short, pushing the lane is not necessarily a bad thing, an in fact may be the smart thing to do. And when you can't make it a good thing, you were probably better off not being Cass in the first place.

For reasons such as the one I've outlined above, Cass is unconventional and therefore somewhat "unintuitive" to play with, similarly, a good Cass makes for an unusual lane opponent which can trip some people up if they haven't faced one. I wish you could articulate this in more concrete terms in your guide rather than just say that she is more "subtle" than the other AP casters (not sure what that's supposed to even mean).

Darqus

05-22-2011

nice guide brolaf!

dangiraffe

05-22-2011

Have my children OP you amazing amazing person :3

BigDaddyDelish

05-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
I hate to say this but I've seen another Cass guide that is a lot better, namely this one:
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...he-grass.xhtml

Where you really falter IMO is when you making unreflective sweeping statements, like "try not to hit creeps with your spells so that you don't overpush your lane". This kind of advice makes your guide very shallow. And I think this is a really crucial thing to note when it comes to Cass.

I'll just share a little of what I learnt when I used her when she was still free, and from reading the other guide. Cass has a rather unique laning phase compared to other heroes. She has a relatively hard time farming with a 'last hit only' style compared to other APs, due to her somewhat poor attack animation, her noxious blast doing DoT and her twin fang having poor range.

On the other hand, she excels at clearing waves quickly and safely using Blast + Miasma on back line creeps from level 2 onwards (before slithering away to a safer dancing distance), which means that she can force the enemy to put some effort on damaging your creeps or risk getting outfarmed because they can't farm well under the tower, after your creeps march straight to it after killing the melee critters.

All this means that Cass is best situated at the safer mid lane (thanks to the range at which she can operate from) where creeps also take less time to reach the enemy tower, and also means that Cass benefit from wards moreso than champs who have to stick around for a sustained period of time in order to farm, and also benefit more from having a jungler that controls the enemy jungler like Nunu instead of a ganking jungler like Rammus.

Long story short, pushing the lane is not necessarily a bad thing, an in fact may be the smart thing to do. And when you can't make it a good thing, you were probably better off not being Cass in the first place.

For reasons such as the one I've outlined above, Cass is unconventional and therefore somewhat "unintuitive" to play with, similarly, a good Cass makes for an unusual lane opponent which can trip some people up if they haven't faced one. I wish you could articulate this in more concrete terms in your guide rather than just say that she is more "subtle" than the other AP casters (not sure what that's supposed to even mean).
Wow man, you've got a lot of nerve. That was a huge **** thing to say. You could have at least put your critisism more politely instead of basically going, "yeah I read your guide but I just thought I should tell you that this one is better and you are pretty much a noob promoting noob plays and know nothing about the character."

Look, I hate pushing my lane as any character. I'm aggressive in my lane, don't get me wrong, it's just that as a general rule pushing your lane up to the opponents tower makes you very easily gankable. Even with Cleanse/Flash you'll have a hard time escaping a coordinated gank squad and overextending yourself just isn't worth it to put a little extra pressure on your opponent, as most of the opponents I face last hit under the tower just fine and I find it makes it more difficult to harass, and pretty much impossible to gank.

Long story short, pushing creeps like that so early just lets you play into your opponents hands. Plus, her attack animation is not that bad, I have no problem last hitting with Cass. I cannot think of a single reason as to why it would ever be a good idea to push a lane so hard in the early stage.

Also, since you decided to slap me across the face you could pull out a dictionary and look up what subtle means, it's not hard.

The most basic meaning of subtle is that it's not immediately obvious or it's somewhat hidden, and what I mean by that in the context of what I described is that Cassiopeia doesn't have the BOOM FLASH BANG POW that people like Anivia or Ryze have. I thought my giant red ball of thunder and cackling ball of snakes comparison was very clear.

I thought I was being polite in saying that I would take constructive feedback, but if you are going to just teabag me like that then all I have to say is that just because another guide worked for you while you played her on free week does not mean that my build and playstyle that has worked for me for almost 300 games now (mostly normal but still counts) is trash and I would appreciate it if the next time you comment on someone else's work you would try not to talk down to them like you are so superior as it's just a ******y thing to do.

Maybe I'm just taking this too personally but really, I worked hard on this guide and I haven't treated anybody else that has commented with any disrespect, and I don't take such blatant rudeness very well. Whether or not that was your intention is irrelavent, as you came out looking like a complete ******.

Just be careful what you say to people.