When to Baron or Dragon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GorillaOfDoom

07-15-2011

I'm new to the game (lvl. 10 currently) and I can't figure out when to Baron or when to Dragon. I've only played on a handful of teams that bothered to do either, so I can't discern a pattern for when I should be suggesting it to my teammates.

Any tips, or a link to a guide?

Thanks.

Gato Muerto

07-15-2011

After an Ace is always a good time to evaluate Baron (assuming all level 12 or higher). Perhaps if 3 of the opponents are dead and all lanes are pushed to their inhibs, a quick baron might be good. It really depends.

However, if you don't do baron, at least ward it when you consider it. Pink wards (yes they cost more) would be preferred, to see if the opponents have counter-warded. Warding their jungle when you do Baron is also strongly recommended so that you know when they are trying to come in and prevent/steal.

Dragon you do when you KNOW where all the opponents are. The timing depends more upon how fast you can kill it. If you are solo, not recommended unless mid and bot defender locations are known (dead is a location). 2-3, can be done when the bot lane is pushed to the tower and the mid is currently occupied by your mid. Full group? Evaluate similar to Baron... in fact make sure Baron is warded so they aren't taking Baron while you are down on Dragon.

Makaidos

07-15-2011

Dragon for most junglers can be solo'd at lvl 6-10 easy, so a team could easy take it out at level 6 but that is laning phase (before everyone groups up for team fights) so probably won't happen for most lower level games. Baron can be beat by most teams easy at level 14 especially with heals, or a high damage jungler like shaco or nunu. Most lower level teams don't take baron till level 16-18 if at all. And some characters can solo baron late game, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you are doing. try to get baron or dragon if their team is all or mostly dead, or somehow preoccupied with something. (like defending a turret across the map.)

Aesynil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2011

The advice above is pretty good. You just want to be absolutely certain they aren't all waiting to gank you at the monster. Basically, if you don't see them on the mini-map, assume they are in the jungle waiting to kill you, unless if you have wards to watch it. So wait for a time when most of their team is away/dead/distracted, keep wards up, and go for it

A time I enjoy doing dragon is right after a good push, when they're down a tower and an inhibitor, just clearing dragon up before B'ing.

Etherimp

07-15-2011

Dragon -> Any time after level 6 or so where you have killed 1-2 of the opposing team in middle or near bottom, and you have 4 out of 5 players in middle/bottom. This will force a team fight OR give you free gold.

Baron -> Same thing later game.. If you killed 1-2 of their team, go do baron if you're capable of doing so HP/mana/damage wise. You have to be sure that you can not only TAKE baron, but also be sure that he doesn't get stolen and that if they come and attack you while you're attacking him, you can fend them off. So don't go in with all 1/4 hp and no mana and expect to survive.

When you Ace an enemy team is a good time, I suppose...but I think I'd rather just push towers and take inhibitors in that case. After you take an inhibitor they have to defend, which means you can go and do baron immediately after, recall for items/regen you hp, and then push another tower forcing them to defend their inhib AND other towers.

EzraTwitch

07-15-2011

depends, always consider global gold, if you cant get more than one turret is often more worth it to baron rather then to push a single tower as it awards much higher global gold and makes it so you dont have to worry about the opponents snagging it for at least 7 minutes.