Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Swain useless?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TehCommunist

03-17-2011

How again is it not an option to build ap? No he is not the greatest ap nuke(damage wise) but he can survive much longer than other casters. He has some decent damage output, a root, a slow and an skill that increases his overall damage output.

Item Build:
-sorc / mercs
-RoA

Everything else is imo situational:

AP items:
-rylas
-AAS
-Deathcap
-WoA
-Abyssal Scepter
-another RoA

Def Items:
-frozen heart(cooldown helps a ton, extra mana, great passive AS slow, 99 armor)
-Guardian angel
-abyssal scepter

While I might not be some high ranked elo player I have found these items to work, switching them up according to the opposite team

What I usually get in normal games:
-sorc shoes
-RoA
-Deathcap
-Frozen heart
-Abyssal Scepter
-Ryla's, WoA, AAS(just whatever I feel like doing)

If you build him too tanky you don't have enough damage, if you go all damage, unless you have a competent tank, you die too fast. By all means if you have a good tank you can usually skip the frozen heart but I don't suggest it because the cooldown also helps to increase your mana.

Masteries and Runes are of course up to you, I usually go 9/0/21 but you can also put some into defense and take out from utility.

Skills I've seen a lot of people differ in opinion about what to level but I like going E,W,Q and from there switching off between E and W. The damage for you Q is rather weak and avoidable but the slow is helpful, only one is needed for enough slow to kill someone though.

Narvuntien

03-17-2011

Quote:
DelusionalESG:
Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Should I use my Cho runes, skill his W first, and focus on pure tank?

And I can't last hit with him worth ****, starting damage is pathetic, that's something you get a feel for, but seriously, he feels like he brings nothing over Maokai...

you need both AP and Resistances.

and you need to balance them, mid game you need 100 AP or you are worthless... late game about 300 AP.

example item build

RoA or Rylais (if you have trouble last hitting get RoA)
Sorc Shoes
Spirit Visage (the nerf was a problem but It still works)
Zhonya's Hourglass (core item, pretty much the only core item)

the rest is opponent and team dependant.

2 of these:
Banchee's viel.
Frozen heart
Will of the Ancients
Abyssal Sceptor.
Lich bane.

You need items with both attacking and defensive parts to them.

use your abilities to harass away your opponents then focus on last hitting, in safety.

Arecanderu

03-17-2011

wait, 1153+3.44AP* damage over 3 seconds (and 90+0.2AP extra every second extra he´s in ulti) is ignorable?! O.o

his ultility is useless? AOE SNARE/PANIC BUTTON IS USELESS!? o_o!?

*this is his damage if he lands E first for that 20% extra damage

Délusional

03-17-2011

Quote:
Narvuntien:
you need both AP and Resistances.

and you need to balance them, mid game you need 100 AP or you are worthless... late game about 300 AP.

example item build

RoA or Rylais (if you have trouble last hitting get RoA)
Sorc Shoes
Spirit Visage (the nerf was a problem but It still works)
Zhonya's Hourglass (core item, pretty much the only core item)

the rest is opponent and team dependant.

2 of these:
Banchee's viel.
Frozen heart
Will of the Ancients
Abyssal Sceptor.
Lich bane.

You need items with both attacking and defensive parts to them.

use your abilities to harass away your opponents then focus on last hitting, in safety.

I've been getting DFG because of E, then Merc Treads, RoA, Spirit Visage, and building from there.

Rushing RoA will probably yield better results...

Quote:
Arecanderu:
wait, 1153+3.44AP* damage over 3 seconds (and 90+0.2AP extra every second extra he´s in ulti) is ignorable?! O.o

his ultility is useless? AOE SNARE/PANIC BUTTON IS USELESS!? o_o!?

*this is his damage if he lands E first for that 20% extra damage

Go do the math for maokai, seedling toss initial hit + ulti + root + auto attack + knockup + auto attack.

IMO, Maokai feels like a much more satisfying, easier to play,and overall better champ than swain..

Not that I don't like challenge, but I like maokai alot.

shaitara

03-17-2011

a tanky swain is just nasty. Very hard tokill, puts out good disable and fair damage.