Kennen + energy runes = viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Naphtal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-07-2010

ok, so a few months ago, when kennen was 1st released, i was one of the many players which was dazzled by the bright shining flashes this little ball of lightning made. when i bought this 6.3k little midget, i was fascinated on how fun his lightning rush worked and how cool his surge seemed like. i was a tad disappointed by his shuriken but was at awe at how cool his lightning storm seemed like. then.....after playing a few games with the guy, while following almost every guide which seemed decent, i realized.....on how lack luster this champion is. all his skills seemed very easy to use and learn at first glance, but when you play in a real game, i found out that this combo was very hard to pull off. and even after you pulled it off it seemed to deal such negligible amounts of damage. the stun seemed niffy and strong but seemed wayyyy too situational to be able to chain. the energy system also seemed way too restraining for a caster type champ. i was also surprised and saddened to find out that the marks could easily be cleansed.

much to my dismay, i decided to stop playing this seemingly bad champion, as i told myself "maybe this isn't for me" and regretted wasting 6.3k IP because he seemed cool. months past and i completely forget that i ever bough this champ. then i decided to play akali. she seemed to be hard to pull off at the beginning, but i finally got the hang of her. during the double IP weekend, i found myself with an excess amount of IP, and so i decided to waste it on some energy runes. couple of seals here, glyphs there. i heard that energy runes were bad based on forum testimony, and for a time i believed them. but when i tested them out, i was surprised on how my akali's performance suddenly boomed. no longer do i have those moments where i could have almost had the kill had my energy been 5 more. no longer do i encounter moments where my skill is already in cooldown, but i dont have enough energy to use it. i could burst for longer durations and dish out consistent damage. i had enough energy for my shroud for those "need to run" moments.

then i thought......"what if?" i make a rune page for my kennen and set him up with some energy runes. i play him and was shocked on how powerful he suddenly became. i suddenly felt like kennen's limiter came off. its almost as if i could cast my spells on whim and stun-lock whoever i desired to stun lock. i began pulling off double kills and triple kills. it was like getting a shot of steroids.

ok i know, you guys will probably reply, "the guys you fought were noobs" or "over the past few months, you may have gotten better" or maybe even "this is total BS" and maybe you guys are right. i just wanna hear your opinion.

tldr: is kennen viable with energy runes?

TakinTheHeat

08-08-2010

You wrote all that, then posted it, and now are checking back for answers. The answer is in your post.

Tahlyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-08-2010

i remember playing panth way back, sucking, then yesterday i went back and tried him again and went 16-2. to myself, "what was i thinking, saying he sucked" then i remembered that the difference is that Now i'm lvl 30, and have a StAcKeD runepage. Having the right runes make most champs I play quite a bit more potent.

Riffraffselbow

08-08-2010

If he's viable for you, he's viable for you.

That's all there is to it.

MarkTheExplorer

08-08-2010

Sounds like a great story. =)

So.....

There are no items that up energy....

Titan III

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTheExplorer View Post
Sounds like a great story. =)

So.....

There are no items that up energy....
Am i missing something or did the OP say runes?If so, they've been up since around the 6/29 patch.
To the person that DV'd me, you either need to take a look at the rune store or thought i was talking about the person i quoted...

Matuk

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan III View Post
Am i missing something or did the OP say runes?If so, they've been up since around the Akali patch.
To the person that DV'd me, you either need to take a look at the rune store or thought i was talking about the person i quoted...
Actually, no, they've been around since about the Zhao patch.

I don't know if it really is viable. I've been able to play Kennen effectively without using energy runes, because they don't honestly give him very much energy. You can't get enough extra max energy for an extra ability, for one thing. And the regen you can get is so miniscule that you should just get the golem (which, btw, is really all Kennen needs to be able to spam his skills...even more than usual).

I'm convinced it's just that you didn't really have any idea how to play the game, or at least this particular champ, the last time you played him. Kennen's a powerful hero, it's just that his AP ratios are really lackluster for being a "mage" and so he doesn't hit as hard as people would like him to.

mclovin252

08-08-2010

I also own kennen he is very fun to play at first I was terrible. Than i figured out that stacking ability items helped alot and runes also improved him. I was even able to win a 3 v 2 battle when my partner quit that should be proof enough runes help.

Elsworth

08-08-2010

I've won a 3vs1 before, me being the only before, Kennen's not very special with that, but then again I wasn't using Kennen..I was on Nasus. But I've won dozens of 2vs3s