Optimal renekton build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aRchiBole

03-16-2011

I recently picked up renekton, I cannot determine his build exactly. I have been going for last whisper+tank gear, I see people build AS but for his fury obviously but this seems to be awful because he is not really a auto attacker more pantheon/garen archtype and because his w makes his attacktwice so gets better results from pure ad/pen. My reasoning for last whisper is that his base dmg from abilities is high but he doesn't really scale all that well without some inherent steroid, but maybe I'm missing some core stat he really desires besides cooldown red which is pretty obvious, though I hesitate to pick up a ghostblade because I don't feel hes best going for the press r comit but otherwise have limited output build based on activations, though is this the best approach?

ShadeOfMcLovin

03-16-2011

I usually build renek to be a bursty phys hero. First item is doran shield, that + your cull will keep you in the lane for a very long time. Next I pick up boots + sheen and after I finish whichever upgraded boots I need I work towards a bf sword which gets turned into a black cleaver. From there pick up a defensive item, whichever the game dictates, and finish off your tri-force.

11/19/0 is the way I go for masteries. Picking up both attack speed talents in each tree, and the arpen in offensive.

runes = arpen marks + quints, armor yellows, cdr blues.

this leaves you with high burst, reasonably sustainable auto attacks, mobility, survivability, and very good early-mid game arpen.

The good thing about Renek though is there's more than a couple sucessful ways to build him, this is just one. It all depends on your playstyle. He can be built very tanky too.

xathil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2011

tried and true.
Start longsword + hp.
brutalizer/boots
ionian boots
ghostblade
depending on how you are doing at this point:
banshees/sunfire/last whisper
4th item is usually too late for defensive. you will need it before that for renekton unless they dont attack you at all.

aRchiBole

03-16-2011

I feel more often that I should take merc treads not ionian, thoughts on this?

rExekias

Game Design Intern

03-17-2011

xathil what masteries?

Minahs Day

03-17-2011

9/21/0

Full Desolation Quints and Marks
Flat CDR Glyphs
HP Per Lv, Flat Armor, Dodge Seals

Doran's Shield
Avarice Blade
Boots
Brutalizer
Merc/Ionia
Youmuu
Spirit Visage
Blood Thirster

33% CDR if you get mercs and this rune build.

CDR, he's skill based, not auto attack based, Youmuu's gives a good chasing and pushing active, Blood Thirster is easily farmed, Spirit Visage takes advantage of his heal. If you want, you can get Spirit Visage before your Youmuu.

Billzz

03-17-2011

I get dorans sword, then beserker greaves... then 4 bloodthirsters..... This allows you to creep fast, deal massive dmg with w and overall just destroy anyone in lane. I am usually also 3 levels ahead of everyone because of massive lifesteal making it so i never leave lane or creep camps except to buy another bloodthirster.

This is for 3v3 not 5v5. in 5v5 i get one tank item after first bloodthirster. The tank item depends on the other teams main players class... dps, tank, or caster

This works because Renek has the best ratios for damage in the game.

JoeCool808

03-17-2011

I don't understand why people are saying to rush ghostblade, sheen, and BT. Unless you're completely dominating your lane you should be tanky first and dps second.

Since the Dorans nerfs, cloth and 5 health pots is a great way to go and quickly builds into a HoG for easy gold/5. For boots, usually merc treads unless the other team has weak cc, then go for ionian.
From here get a giants belt and figure out whether you need MR or can finish a sun fire, because sun fire makes you some what of a threat while your skills are on cd and synergizes with your ult.
Good choices for MR are negatron (sometimes i don't need more than a negatron) into QSS, hexdrinker, and GA. I'm skeptical of spirit visage not being worth the cost anymore since the nerfs. If you're really hurting for cdr, you can get the blue pot. I use cdr glyphs.

After a few of these tank items you're decently sturdy to maximize your ult duration. I like to build a Black Cleaver since you can quickly get the 3 stack debuff from a W with fury. While also making your autoattacks a threat, your skills become buffed with from the enemy's decreased armor. This also increases physical damage done by your teammates when you debuff someone.

After this point, you should build what the game needs. If you need to be tankier or have more damage the choices should be easy by then.

SandmanOfTheTram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-17-2011

I feel like renek benefits from having extra hp for his ult and general survivability but that he doesn't need to be tanky. His damage combo includes an escape. Harass with W,Q as often as they will let you. I also dont feel like he MUST cap his CDR. Make him hit them hard and they wont want to be anywhere near your lunge range.
I like to build dorans sword, brutalizer (or if our team doesn't have a jungle I will often get a lantern instead and build a brutalizer afterward), boots 2 (typically merc but Ionian otherwise), and Phage.
That is my start for 90% of renek games.

1ronLung

Recruiter

03-17-2011

joe cool is 100% right. you are not a carry, you are tanky DPS. your role in a teamfight is to disrupt enemy carries and generally cause havoc, not to get a pentakill, leave that to your carry you're defending. you need stats like MR and armor over AD and lifesteal. a ghostblade is a great item on him, and i would rush it in most situations. other than that your itemization should be tanky and only get offensive items if you are doing well holding up against their DPS.

give this build a look
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Renek...16,70&level=18

should find your role in a teamfight disrupting with stuns and AOE face rape.

if you want something more offensive, try out a hexdrinker and a trinity force, AP and mana stat are wasted, but sheen does proc on his W spell, so this will give you good on hit effects and keep you tank enough to do serious dps
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Renek...28,70&level=18