Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to counter Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nightdancer ND

03-24-2011

- ult someone else and hit Ryze
- Hexdrinker is a good Item for an AD-Poppy

rocxas

03-24-2011

buy a quicksilver and you will be able to easily beat ryze, just remember to use the item

CaptainClash

03-24-2011

Quote:
Booterang:
(LIchbane is often replaced with void staff, an essential item that I detest for its lack of mana > grr)

This build gives you about 340 ap, 4800 mana and 3200 hitpoints with 190 armor and 120 MR.

Ryze is a major threat now, but he is by no means overpowered. MR hurts his damage catastrophically, and silencing Ryze is the equivalent of a blind on a ranged carry because he is a sustained damage caster.

I generally agree with your points, however, I disagree with getting a void staff.

I put these numbers in my ryze guide (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/on-the-ryze-60796)

Quote:
I would also put void staff in here (Items to AVOID) as well. The AP is not good on him, the pen is useful but not worth the cost IMHO. Abyssal Scepter is a superior choice in almost all cases if you really want to get some extra spell penetration, and as I face better teams that tend to stack a bit of MR it's a good idea. It's a good team item as well, thus I typically take it every game.

If we take into account a stock penetration of say, 30 flat magic pen with runes, boots and another 24 from our spell flux debuff and then compare it to the same with a void staff.

General MR levels and what the void staff buys you...

30 MR, Difference of 0
60 MR, Difference of 2.4 effective MR
80 MR, Difference of 10.4 effective MR
100 MR, Difference of 18.4 effective MR
150 MR, Difference of 38.4 effective MR

Only in the last instance would I even consider a void staff, and then probably only if more than half the other team has stacked to this level and the others have reasonable levels too. Abyssal Scepter is only 350 more gold than a void staff, and will be more effective in all cases except the last, and probably will even then since it helps your team too and not just you. Further, it provides more MR for yourself and finally it provides the same anemic AP boost.

Thus, I conclude that void staff should never be built on Ryze unless the stars align and the whole other team has 2 major MR items - which I can't recall ever seeing.

urmamasllama

03-25-2011

Quote:
Cyblaster:
How about playing against an aggressive Ryze as a squishy? I got completely dominated by a Ryze early game from his Qs and got completely zoned out from mid.

this i love doing to people =3 kept at teemo at level 2 until i got halfway through level 5

Strider Fury

03-25-2011

Quote:
lammatt:
If you can't counter a caster without a special utility as a bruiser, you better uninstall the game. You have a gap closer skill, and do you know there is an item called mercury thread and another called banshee veil?

Last time I checkd there is no item called mercury thread. Maybe mercury treads is what your thinking of.