How to counter Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SirCumference

03-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorg711 View Post
Ryze is problematic to deal with because Rune Prison prevents Poppy from charging forward with the Heroic Charge and Devastating Blow combo.

It doesn't help at all if Ryze teammates also beats up Poppy as well with the process Ryze is zapping her with his magic as well.

Ryze is also not as squishy as people believes to be.
I guess you forgot that Poppy has diplomatic immunity and none of your teamates will be able to stop Poppy. All Poppy needs is cleanse and your one form of CC is of no use because you will be dead before it comes back up. Even without cleanse Merc treads will make short work of your CC.

Look man I love Ryze. I play him more than any other champ, but I know what a good Poppy is capable of. Poppy is good for taking one of your teamates or you out of a fight. Your only chance is to flash/ghost away. After that Poppy can be killed fairly easy with her assasin build but 1v1 you just can't win against a good poppy. Your chances are almost nil.

LyraOrpheo

03-16-2011

Ult someone else if possible so he won't burst you. Use your own Ignite + Deathgrasp + nuke + Sheen (E was it?) combo and wall him.

Cyblaster

03-23-2011

How about playing against an aggressive Ryze as a squishy? I got completely dominated by a Ryze early game from his Qs and got completely zoned out from mid.

Something Snazzy

03-23-2011

My late game Ryze typically has 150 armor, 100 mr and 3k hp (this varies depending on your team) and spams spells like crazy. Luckily, he typically doesn't have a lot of mrpen (since the ap on void staff isn't useful on him) and his damage isn't too bad. You should be able to beat him easily 1v1 with cleanse or quicksilver sash and some mr/hp.

Early game, he is not a tank. At all. He is only tanky mid/late game because his core items are frozen heart and RoA. Plus, he needs Q, W AND E to do significant damage, due to his passive. And these are very mana intensive. So chances are, he will stay back and only ping you with Q occasionally until he gets his tear (and even then, he won't spam spells until mid game). Exploit this by ganking him hard early. If you can gank him at level 1, before he has his snare, even better. Expect him to have two of ghost/flash/exhaust, though. If he plays aggressively early, you have to play more aggressively.

Greyfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2011

Yeah, I don't know where all this **** about "Ryze is easy to kill" is coming from. Banshee, RoA, Frozen Heart. From 3 core items, he has +99 armor, +50 MR, and +1025 HP, in addition to everything else those items do. I wouldn't put it past many of them to also build Rylai's during the late game for additional kiting goodness (essentially making your Cleanse about worthless, because of the spammy nature of his spells), and additional HP.

A seasoned AP Poppy being able to tear down a nooby Ryze who doesn't know what he's doing doesn't mean a ****ed thing. In the end, yeah it's possible. But the situation has to be pretty perfect for it to be anything more than a huge pain in the butt.

P.S. If you don't literally mean "uninstall," then don't ****ing say it, because it makes you sound like an unbelievable ******.

ShoreOne

03-23-2011

wits end on poppy is the sh*t

Greyfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2011

AP Poppy doesn't itemize for Attack Speed. And AD Poppy doesn't have the burst to tear down Ryze before getting kited and killed.

Nice try though.

Booterang

03-23-2011

Ryze is a powerful 1v1 character now due to his ability to string very quick high damage combos, and the fact that his dps items also make him tanky.

I usually run him with Frozenheart, Rod of ages, archangels staff, sorc boots, banshee's veil and lichbane. (LIchbane is often replaced with void staff, an essential item that I detest for its lack of mana > grr)

This build gives you about 340 ap, 4800 mana and 3200 hitpoints with 190 armor and 120 MR.

Ryze is a major threat now, but he is by no means overpowered. MR hurts his damage catastrophically, and silencing Ryze is the equivalent of a blind on a ranged carry because he is a sustained damage caster.

Seelyon

03-23-2011

Banshee's Veil & Abyssal Scepter (assuming AP Poppy). Wait for him to blow his snare and ult him, and kill him. Using Flash/Ghost to close the gap quickly, he will drop easy.

NickPham

03-23-2011

Quite simply, if you can make Ryze go back before being able to afford tear, even if it forces you back too, you are coming out on top.

If he comes back with a tear and no hp pots, chances are you can start scaring him a bit.

As for how to do that, I have no idea. I can't say I've laned against a Poppy before. All I can say is that very very few champs give me trouble in lane as Ryze. One of the biggest surprises is Ashe, cuz with 16ish base armor, that first hit crit takes off a lot of my health.