Real Value: "Generates 5 Gold" items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AutoSponge

02-10-2010

I analyzed these utility items. Happy shopping:

LEGEND
Item Name
- Value of other buffs: comparable value of buffs offered
- Value of G5: flat cost of G5 buff (150 derived from Avarice blade)
- Cost: cost of item
- Value: after adding all buff values
- Sells for: duh
- Shows profit after: time it takes to pay for the G5 buff
- Don't sell before: time it takes to pay for the value not returned after selling

Avarice Blade (baseline)
- Value of other buffs: 600 (CC)
- Value of G5: 150
- Cost: 750
- Value: 750 (0)
- Sells for: 375
- Shows profit after: 5 minutes
- Don't sell before: 12.5 minutes

Kage's Lucky Pick
- Value of other buffs: 537.5 (AP)
- Cost: 765
- Value: 687.5 (-77.5)
- Sells for: 382
- Shows profit after: 7.58 minutes
- Don't sell before: 12.77 minutes

Heart of Gold
- Value of other buffs: 534.88 (H) + 420 (A) = 954.88
- Cost: 975
- Value: 1104.88 (+129.88)
- Sells for: 488
- Shows profit after: .67 minutes
- Don't sell before: 16.23 minutes

Philosopher's Stone
- Value of other buffs: 557.14 (M5) + 763.39 (H5) = 1320.53
- Cost: 1115.00
- Value: 1470.54 (+355.54)
- Sells for: 557
- Shows profit after: INSTANT (G5 buff is free)
- Don't sell before: 18.6 minutes

ben4zwin

02-10-2010

this is quite useful. often the point of a gold per 5 item is to get lots of a useful stack while maintaining high gold coming in, which many overlook. Obviously you understand this as you are accounting for the stats worth of gold so GJ!!

AIM7Sparrow

02-10-2010

nice data although I'd like to warn that the numbers can seriously fool people as to each item's overall "worth" or "impact" in a game.

The prime example is philo stone.

One look at the numbers and you could think that you'd have to be crazy not to buy it. Free G5 buff along with other stats, who wouldn't want to buy it?! The thing is though, those other stats are really not important at all. By the time you have enough money to even afford a philo stone the laning phase should be coming to an end, especially if you're not soloing mid. That, along with the fact that you must keep it for 18.6 minutes to actually make your money back on it, actually makes philo stone generally a terrible item to buy. (I know people will disagree, oh well)

Generally, the only G5 items I consider viable are Heart of gold and Avarice Blade.

Also one last thing, I'm not sure about 150 being universal for the "Value of G5." Doesn't that need to be "Cost" - "Value of Other Buffs" and applied to each item individually?

This would in turn make "Value" a difference or ratio term. (i.e. The "Value" of your item is what you payed for it subtracted from the cost of all of the non G5 stats you receive, or (Cost of non G5 buffs)/(Total Cost) for a ratio, same thing either way) So Avarice Blade would read the following:

- Cost: 750
- Cost of non G5 buffs: 600 (CC)
- Cost of G5: 150
- Value: -150
- Sells for: 375
- Shows profit after: 5 minutes
- Don't sell before: 12.5 minutes

Which I think makes more sense, since technically you are paying extra for non-combat-related stats so the value of these items should always be negative (compared to buying a Cloak of Agility for example.) Also I changed the wording/order a bit just to make it more clear.

Great work though. I'm sure many people will find it useful.

AutoSponge

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
nice data although I'd like to warn that the numbers can seriously fool people as to each item's overall "worth" or "impact" in a game.

The prime example is philo stone.

Also one last thing, I'm not sure about 150 being universal for the "Value of G5." Doesn't that need to be "Cost" - "Value of Other Buffs" and applied to each item individually?
I agree, philo stone's overall playability is less than Heart of Gold for the characters I play. But that doesn't mean there will never be a character that wants this. I've personally started stacking hearts in mid game and nearly always get a Trinity now--something not easily done with Alistar.

As to the cost calculations: For all other items in the game, I've calculated relative value the same way--find a base item (like Blasting Wand for AP) and get the ratio of gold/point. In G5's case, there is no such item. So, to set this base, I used Avarice blade because I knew the value of CC.

If you value G5 higher, you could use Kage's Pick as a base instead, but I think it's worse than Avarice Blade on purpose--it's the only item that builds into something else.

ImnotPaul

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
Generally, the only G5 items I consider viable are Heart of gold and Avarice Blade.
100% agree

zoau

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImnotPaul View Post
100% agree
kages pick builds into something. if you wan the item in your build its smart to get kages early

Kahryl

02-10-2010

Ehh? If I start with one of the components, I usually have a Philo Stone about 5 minutes in. Laning phase takes 15-20 minutes. I usually get philo stone first.

Interesting that the "value" of G5 is so low, 150. Does this mean that G5 items pay for themselves in 5 minutes? o.O

EDIT: Oh, you derived that from avarice blade. Wouldn't it be better to derive it from ALL the gold generating items and then average it to get the final estimation?

AIM7Sparrow

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSponge View Post
I agree, philo stone's overall playability is less than Heart of Gold for the characters I play. But that doesn't mean there will never be a character that wants this. I've personally started stacking hearts in mid game and nearly always get a Trinity now--something not easily done with Alistar.

As to the cost calculations: For all other items in the game, I've calculated relative value the same way--find a base item (like Blasting Wand for AP) and get the ratio of gold/point. In G5's case, there is no such item. So, to set this base, I used Avarice blade because I knew the value of CC.

If you value G5 higher, you could use Kage's Pick as a base instead, but I think it's worse than Avarice Blade on purpose--it's the only item that builds into something else.
I understand the calculations you are using for stats other than G5. But the mistake you made was applying the price you pay for Avarice Blade's G5 to all the other items. Avarice blade gives 600 gold worth of crit chance so the extra 150 you pay is for the G5. Kage's lucky pick gives 537.5 gold worth of AP so the extra gold you pay for G5 in this case is 227.5.

You actually stated the reason why you made that error in your above post without even knowing it. "In G5's case, there is no such item." That's why each item has to have it's own unique G5 value, because you pay different amounts for the G5 buff depending on which item you buy.

iNSiPiD1

02-10-2010

You have to rework the value of G5 for each individual item, as Sniperness has pointed out.

Please do this because if you do not, your numbers are completely wrong, and very misleading.

Other than that, this has the potential to be a very nice post, once it is corrected.

Aeth

03-06-2010

Good work. It may interest the OP to know that I have done a similar analysis, though I analyzed all the items in LoL, not just the gp5 items. Some of the numbers are wrong because of item changes, but I think the gp5 items are basically the same. Since the health and armor item nerf was pervasive, the value of such items relative to one another remains the same.

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=26691