Rod of Age, anyone?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eberzelius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-09-2010

I was reading lots'o'builds on this very forum, wondering why so many casters take this specific item: Rod of Age. I can see it's a good item, but it isn't that useful until full (which means 15 mins of playtime). The time it takes to get is pretty long, and I surely wouldn't get it as a first item. Which means it won't be maxed until, at least, 30 mins. During that same 15 mins, I could easily get the money for a Zhonia's, which I consider much better (100 AP +25%, versus a fair amount of mana and health + 100 AP).

Well, I could explain it alot more, but the point of this topic is mostly that: Why Rod of Age?

Share your comments.

Fawlcon

02-09-2010

Well i dont know about you but most of my matches take more then 30 mins. In the time frame of when i get multiple Rod of Ages and the end of the match, i can get 3. When you have three, its like saying every minute is actually like 3. When you have this effect for like 10 mins of time, the effects can really, and i mean REALLY, stack up.

Silent Reaper

02-09-2010

I guess alot of mages need burst damage (more mana)
They're usually squishy (need more health)
And they need a bit of Ap to hit with....
Its one of those "all round" items...

ALCie

02-09-2010

If you are getting RoA for the AP, then it is a waste. The main selling point of RoA is the extra health, something most casters need. A fully charged RoA will give 80 AP and costs 850 to combine. A Blasting Wand will cost 860 and give you 80 AP instantly (along with the other one in the RoA recipe). RoA is not an effective way to get high AP at all. Its good for balanced survivability and damage.

When I play casters I almost always start with Catalyst. I think it's one of the best starting items there is. The on level bonuses keep you in lane and it gives you mana and health, both very helpful. But most of the time if I build it into a RoA I miss the on level bonuses and if I dont build it right away then I dont get the full benefit. So usually I skip RoA all together and go for Banshees later on in the game.

A fully charged RoA gives 650 HP. A Banshees will give 450 plus the shield. Personally I think the shield is worth more than that 200 HP, plus it gives a nice amount of MR and costs 300ish less.

My item build for casters generally goes:

Catalyst
Boots
AP recipe of choice (or 2)
Banshees

Of course stacking RoA like Fawlcon said can be very powerful. Its a good mix of tanky and dangerous. But to each their own.

wildfire393

02-09-2010

It's actually quite simple.

There are only three items that provide HP and AP.
One is Doran's Ring, which is clearly not viable beyond early game.
One is Rylai's Crystal Scepter. It provides lower HP overall (500 versus 650 maxed), no MP, the same amount of AP (maxed), has a passive effect that is not useful for everyone and does not stack, costs a little bit more, and is harder to buy in pieces (as a Giant's Belt is more expensive than the crystals or the recipe to catalyst). In addition, the Catalyst is a great early-mid game item, as the HP and MP it gives on level-up keep you in lane easily.

In short, in high ELO games where survivability is insanely important, the Rod of Ages is by far the best item for casters.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2010

I tried an AP build with Rammus using RoA (AP Rammus is pretty effective, especially with spell penetration runes) but the item is pretty expensive to complete, and by the time you complete it, the game is already half over. It is just not as cost effective as other alternatives.

idecline

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bandito View Post
I tried an AP build with Rammus using RoA (AP Rammus is pretty effective, especially with spell penetration runes) but the item is pretty expensive to complete, and by the time you complete it, the game is already half over. It is just not as cost effective as other alternatives.
This thread has been focussed on this item for casters.

I don't know think that Rammus is the best example.

He doesn't necessarily farm super fast from my experience (or at least not that mana efficiently).

However, I do like it on Singed - the stats are all very useful (his passive makes it that much nicer). Although he has a much easier time farming, imho.

Zamaka

02-10-2010

I play an AP Cho'Gath build, and I usually try to finish a Rod of the Ages first before any other items. The Ap helps sure, but the HP/MP gain over time is great, especially when Cho (being a tank and with his Ult) grows in large amounts of HP already, the Rod is a nice touch. So much so that I never go with Warmog's Armor anymore. I gives him the best fo both worlds I feel with my build.

Longshot405

02-10-2010

Honestly, the only caster i really play is Karthus. I don't bother giving him survivability, i go glass cannon all the way. On my tank Singed though, i ALWAYS use Rod of Ages. Sometimes, if it's still reasonably early enough, i'll get 2 of them. Since Singed's passive turns a fourth of his mana into HP, it's like getting HP, Mana, AP, and HP. :P

donnyFYASKO

02-10-2010

I give up on building RoA once I pass a certain time threshold. I usually get it around the 17 min mark... weird how I can never get it earlier than that. I usually give up on it if I can't get in 25 mins to build Abyssal/Void/Arch.