High ELO AP/Mixed Tristana Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xahhfink6

02-09-2010

I'm not great at introductions, but I'm making this guide because I play Trist as my main, even in high ELO games, and I play her like noone else that I know. I want to give my build/playstyle with my favorite character, and to recieve any suggestions.

I first tried out an AP tristana build after reading Ambi's AP Tristana guide, and would advise reading it for anyone considering getting into the dark side of Trist... but I quickly was tweaking his build.

One of his main complaints about (and something I found true when I played AP trist) is that she loses power late game. If you go straight AP, she has trouble pushing towers, has little to do after initial nukes in a teamfight, and isn't a true carry - Even if you are fed like crazy, your damage begins to falter, especially after you inevitably lose Mejai's stacks.

This build keeps the power of AP tristana, but still acts as a carry.

Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells
I'll keep this part simple
For summoner spells, I generally go with Ignite and then either Heal, rally, flash, or cleanse. I prefer heal, because it will save you the highest number of times, but flash and cleanse can give better circumstantial escapes. The other reason I favor heal is to make sure that I can dominate the lane early.

In runes, Straight AP is great for early game kills, Magic Pen is next important. In Yellow, I run mostly Mana Regen. Armor Pen is alright too, but less important than Magic Pen.
Masteries, I go 21/0/9 (or 21/1/8, depending on if I take the heal mastery - it is in my opinion more worthwhile than greed, and for AP trist, much more important than .33 mana per sec)

Skills Description and Build
Q: Rapid Shot
-For Physical tristana, this skill is the primary damage dealer, buffing attack speed by 90% at level 5. It lets them dominate creeps, towers, and heroes alike. Its massive attack speed boost lets physical trist focus on attack damage over speed.
-For Our Trist, this skill is put off until later game, where eventually it serves almost the same purpose. It will turn towers into dust faster than Yi or alistar, and lets you destroy during a team fight while staying out of enemy range. It also, importantly, gives you extra procs on your Sheen/Lichbane

W: Rocket Jump
-For Physical Trist, this gives some early game damage, lets them chase (with the slow letting them catch enemies) and escape ganks.
-As AP Trist, you are doing all of this and more. The damage and movement always take enemies by surprise early game, and as it builds up, the damage becomes devastating. At a .8 AP Ratio, it deals a large amount of damage to an Area, and best of all, every time an enemy dies (Kill or Assist) you immediately get it back, letting you pounce to the next fleeing victim (or to escape unharmed). The other thing that AP trist can do with jump, if farm entire waves of minions in a single bound. Once your AP gets up, this + Explosive make you a farming giant.

E: Explosive Shot
-For Physical Trist, this skill does two things: it lets you prevent enemy healing for a short time, and it is a farming tool.
-As AP Trist, no skill is wasted, and this is our first leveling priority. It is the best harassing skill for early game (not wanting to jump on the enemy too early) and deals the most damage of any skill at first level. The Passive not only lets you farm as well as any ashe or sivir, but it also can harass. Around level 5-9, your explosive passive will be doing more than your physical attack, so you can focus on farming and it will do more to an enemy than would attacking him! The other reason to focus on leveling this is because the AP ratio increases with the level. It does .1 Ratio per second, which seems low, but it is .4 : Ap first level, but by 5th level it is .8 Ap ratio (Giving you a second nuke)

R: Buster Shot
-For Physical Trist, his ult is a double edged sword. It does some powerful damage, especially early game, and can be used to knock the enemy where you want him. The general strategy is to jump on and behind someone then knock them towards waiting teammates/towers. The problem is, Physical trist doesn't like being that close to ANY enemy. Because the knockback gets so powerful, physical trist will often have this skill off cooldown, waiting for a time when it can be used that won't ruin the gank.
-As AP Trist, this is less of a worry, because it will kill everyone. First of all, her jump/Buster is much more powerful, and AP Trist LIKES jumping on 2 or 3 enemies for splash. Finally, you don't have to worry about knocking them away from you, at 1.5 AP ratio... especailly not when you have massive Damage over time from Explosive and Ignite at the same time. After firing this off to kill someone early in a team fight, you get another free jump, to either continue the assault or escape.

Skill Build
1. E
2. W
3. E
4. W
5. E
6. R
7. E
8. W
9. E
10. W
11. R
12. W
13. Q
14. Q
15. Q
16. R
17. Q
18. Q

Item Build/Explaination
Start:
Amplifying tome (435)
HP Potion (35)
- The potion is to lane, the Tome gives you frightening damage, and builds into your first, most important item.

Mejai's Soulstealer (800)
- A must get first thing, you will be getting kills early, both in your lane (Which should always be mid) and in the side lanes. Try to wait until the enemy is dead or back before leaving yourself, so you keep ahead of him in levels.

Next items you are building to:
Boots of Speed (350)
Boots of Mobility (650)
-While other boots are an option, with the amount that you will be traveling between lanes, especially early, you want to have as much movement as possible. I have traded these for Sorc shoes or Merc treads late game, but it is usually not needed. When you return, if you do not have the 650 to upgrade to Mobility, buy a Sapphire Crystal first, as you will be running out of mana and wanting to return after most ganks. (Another reason to rush Mob Boots)

Sapphire Crystal (400)
Amplifying Tome (435)
Sheen (425)
-Sheen may not give you as big of an immediate damage boost as a straight AP item would, but the mana (not mana regen, but actual mana) is going to be needed by this point, and the sheen hits will give you an extra hit into your Jump+ignite+exp+Buster combo. It will also give you something to do when you only have jump (or rapid shot) off cooldown. Finally, it lets you deal slightly less pathetic turret damage.

Blasting Wand (860)
Pickaxe (975)
Guinsoo's Rageblade (400)
- This item was secretly made with Tristana in mind. Generally, you will be getting to this item at about level 13 (Right when you start leveling Rapid Shot). Getting the axe will make your physical DPS Skyrocket, while not neglecting your AP, and the Rageblade passive makes your buffed attack speed increase your attack speed and your AP, putting them both at crazy high levels (at level 5 rapid shot, my attack speed reaches 2.3 attacks/second). This combination of increases lets you start destroying turrets. The other half of the turret wrecking combo is:

Blasting Wand (860)
Null-Magic Mantle (400)
Lich Bane (950)
-Now, your constant jumping gives you a couple hundred extra damage, your rapid shot prompts you to destroy a turret (or golem/dragon) and your rageblade + rapid shot + Lich bane lets you take down turrets, and the minions with them in the blink of an eye. In general, think of Twisted Fate, but 10X worse. That is Trist's damage output.

-----------break---------------
This is sometimes the only items that you will get in a game, especially if they surrender at 25. After these, you have a little more option in what you buy, and it may depend on how the game is going. I know that noone is perfect, and once they start teaming up you will eventually lose some Mejai's stacks. Even still, your Ap should be sitting around 300+, varying from as low as 250 to over 400. keep in mind too, late game, that baron is exceptionally useful because it is boosting both your physical and AP damage.
----------/break-----------------

Item Options from here:

B.F. Sword (1850)
-This is the item that I most commonly take next. The damage, at your attack speed, is ridiculous, and if the enemies have been trying to counter you by grabbing banshee's or magic resist, increasing your weaker attack stat turns you into a full-blown carry. If the game goes on late, and you run out of item space, you can upgrade this, generally into a Bloodthirster or Infinity, but i find that by that point you can should be busy doing things like backdooring their nexus.

Blasting Wand (860)
Blasting Wand (860)*
Sage's Ring (975)*
Zhonya's Ring (1000)
*(Room permitting)
-Pretty straightforward, it gives a massive boost in AP, which could be crucial to getting your damage back, especially if you've died a couple times backdooring on being focused in team fights.

The only other options I would go, would be if they are stacking a lot of Magic resist, and/or you are being pushed back to your base and can't afford to save for a Zhonyas:

Void Staff
or
Abyssal Scepter
-These give you some badly needed (baring runes) magic pen. abyssal is preferred because it will also help you die less and help your teammates, but Void can be good if they have a magic tank.
A final option, if they have a powerful Tank on their team who is shutting you down would be do go Fiendish Codex -> Deathfire's Grasp, giving you CDR and a way to put a dent in the tank before trying to kill him.

General Strategy
Not much left to say here... one thing important is to TAKE MIDDLE LANE. This is important for multiple reasons. First of all, you need the experience. If you outlevel an enemy, you can kill them repeatedly with almost nothing they can do to you. This is true for most heroes, but especially Ap/Mixed trist.
2nd, It will put you in a position to quickly reach top and bottom.
3rd, Middle is the best place for you to kill your enemy. There will be only one person, and no shrub, so you can focus your attacks on him/her and not worry about their teammate killing you when you inevitably murder them.

In general, early game you want to hit them with explosive whenever it is up, until they are at moderate health, then kill them. They usually won't b back in time, because they will see that they have enough health left to take 2 or more exp shots without dying, but you jump on them, ignite, and explosive, it will kill ashe, for example, at 60% or more at level 3/4. When you include Buster shot in that combination, it should kill any champion at equal or lower level than you from full.

By mid/early game, start working with your team to clear lanes and then push the towers - you will basically be playing all three lanes at once if your teammates are receptive. Once you get level 13/14 and have Rapid shot + rageblade, you will be able to push towers yourself at very fast speeds, and still have great damage output for team battles.

Late game, you won't be able to initiate team battles any more, but you can still do massive damage to pick off enemies, and you will have no problem pushing and backdooring turrets. If it gets late enough in the game, you can deal a turret around 1600 damage in ~3 seconds, and then back away before their team can catch you.

Well, that is it for now, please leave any opinions and suggestions you can! Any edits I make will be put in italics and have ***Edit /Edit*** around them.

xahhfink6

02-10-2010

nessasary bump

Valduran

02-10-2010

Interesting guide. I have around 250 games with Tristana now but I still haven't tried out an AP build because of the obvious late-game fail that it would bring about.

Although I currently believe it will never be possible for an AP-Tristana to outperform a physical Tristana late-game due to the importance of positioning when playing against skilled opponents, this build might just have enough viability to try out for a little variety. I'll check it out sometime.

What kind of "High Elo" bracket do you play this at btw? I doubt I'm higher than 1500-1600 but already in any of my games rocket jumping all over the place will generally result in nothing more than a dead megling. Even if you kill your target with your rocket jump + buster shot it seems like there is still a high possibility of getting focused and taken out while you attempt to RJ back out of the fight.

BobiusMaximus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-12-2010

Just tried this out, works quite nicely, dunno if I prefer it to standard Trist...will have to play a few more to decide.

Nice guide overall.

EasymodeX

02-12-2010

This is primarily an AP build that "maybe gets some IE on lategame". The transition is too late to be considered a build that really transitions from AP to AD.

I would take a look at compressing the AP portion of the build in favor of loading up on AD earlier in the game. Perhaps starting with a Mejai, Rageblade, then shifting immediately to the IE/Bloodthirster.

In other words, skipping the Lichbane diversion. Consider your attack speed and how much a BF Sword would add in 3 seconds, as opposed to 1 Lichbane proc.

Furthermore, re-evaluate whether your initiation pattern and whether Rageblade is really effective -- do you have many charges built up when you hit Buster Shot? Are you doing a lot of pew pewing in chasedown?

To me it would seem like a Mejai would be a core early-mid item to give Trist a massive AP pump, then switch to another item strategy. Perhaps a Sheen wouldn't be too bad if you take the Trinity Force path instead.

Consider: Mejai -> Sheen -> TF -> Black Cleaver / IE / Bloodthirster.

This gives you a strong AP pump to carry you through early and midgame, and transitions much more quickly into AD. The Sheen/TF also improves your immediate burst damage, while giving you better scaling effects as you transition into AD (compared to Lichbane).

keftes

Recruiter

02-12-2010

AP tristana is beyond terrible. Stop making "guides" that encourage feeding.

Valduran

02-12-2010

Why is every post here -3 except the one above...?

xahhfink6

02-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
This is primarily an AP build that "maybe gets some IE on lategame". The transition is too late to be considered a build that really transitions from AP to AD.

I would take a look at compressing the AP portion of the build in favor of loading up on AD earlier in the game. Perhaps starting with a Mejai, Rageblade, then shifting immediately to the IE/Bloodthirster.

In other words, skipping the Lichbane diversion. Consider your attack speed and how much a BF Sword would add in 3 seconds, as opposed to 1 Lichbane proc.

Furthermore, re-evaluate whether your initiation pattern and whether Rageblade is really effective -- do you have many charges built up when you hit Buster Shot? Are you doing a lot of pew pewing in chasedown?

To me it would seem like a Mejai would be a core early-mid item to give Trist a massive AP pump, then switch to another item strategy. Perhaps a Sheen wouldn't be too bad if you take the Trinity Force path instead.

Consider: Mejai -> Sheen -> TF -> Black Cleaver / IE / Bloodthirster.

This gives you a strong AP pump to carry you through early and midgame, and transitions much more quickly into AD. The Sheen/TF also improves your immediate burst damage, while giving you better scaling effects as you transition into AD (compared to Lichbane).
Tried this, went 13/5/6... it let me do better hero damage (after my initial nukes) mid game, but was a bit weaker at pushing turrets. Really the problem I had is that I was missing out on the mana that came from buying sheen, so i had to blue pill more often than I would have wanted. If you are confident that your team can push turrets without you (alistar, sivir, nasus, and the like) then i'd say it is worth grabbing a bf sword before rageblade/lichbane, I'm gonna go back to getting the sheen though.

As far as trinity force, I'm not a huge fan of rushing it early game, as its overall damage increase isn't huge, although the hp could help, especially later.

Ty for the helpful post