Remember to Vote League of Legends in MMOSite's Game of the Year Awards!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hohums

Software Engineer

02-10-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
I don't know how to vote, if i cl ick the "vote" button it says: 'vote failed'
I find I have to refresh the page several times until it lets me vote.

Kaniol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageQuit View Post
You're adding RPG to the end of that MMO. Those are all examples of MMORPG's.
He is right, MMORPG is a subgenre of MMO genre, he just gave these examples because MMORGPs are the most know MMOs.
If you want examples of MMOs that aren't MMORPGs here you go - OGame, Mankind, BiteFight, Neocron (though it's has lots of MMORPG factors), Shattered Galaxy (only MMORTS i found interrest in). As you can see, there is a huge chance than most people didn't play any of these games ever, so they are bad examples. Because only MMOs that are popular are MMORPGs.

Now, let's ask Aunt Wikipedia what does she think about term MMO:
Quote:
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world
Is there a persistent world in LoL? No, there isn't.

Does LoL support hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously? No, 10 is not "hundreds or thousands"

Yet another way for stubborn people to understand - what is LoL? It is "DOTA-like" (superio to DOTA imo, but nvm about that).
So then - what is DOTA? DOTA is a map for WarCraft 3. VEEERY complex map, kinda modlike but still it is WC3 map and works on WC3's mechanics.
So is WC3 an MMO? Nope. So map for WC3 is not an MMO and something that supports the same number of players as map for WC3 is not a MASSIVE Multiplayer Online Game as well.

Even though this is such a wrong categorization i support LoL wholeheartedly in any genre it will start in. Even if they put it to compete as an FPS or sim or music video game

shalmack

02-10-2010

I read a few post saying it doesn't make sense this is in an MMO category. Are you guys really that ignorant you don't even know what MMO means? You should really look into things a little bit before you start making stupid posts. It's not like you don't have the internet at your fingertips to look.
How is it cheating by Riot making it easier for you to vote and giving you incentive in there own way. Was your mother cheating by saying she will buy you candy if you behave at the store.

shalmack

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaniol View Post
He is right, MMORPG is a subgenre of MMO genre, he just gave these examples because MMORGPs are the most know MMOs.
If you want examples of MMOs that aren't MMORPGs here you go - OGame, Mankind, BiteFight, Neocron (though it's has lots of MMORPG factors), Shattered Galaxy (only MMORTS i found interrest in). As you can see, there is a huge chance than most people didn't play any of these games ever, so they are bad examples. Because only MMOs that are popular are MMORPGs.

Does LoL support hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously? No, 10 is not "hundreds or thousands"

Yet another way for stubborn people to understand - what is LoL? It is "DOTA-like" (superio to DOTA imo, but nvm about that).
So then - what is DOTA? DOTA is a map for WarCraft 3. VEEERY complex map, kinda modlike but still it is WC3 map and works on WC3's mechanics.
So is WC3 an MMO? Nope. So map for WC3 is not an MMO and something that supports the same number of players as map for WC3 is not a MASSIVE Multiplayer Online Game as well.

Even though this is such a wrong categorization i support LoL wholeheartedly in any genre it will start in. Even if they put it to compete as an FPS or sim or music video game
You are still to brain washed by playing WoW. The world is persistent it's always there it's always the same environments you play in. It does offer multiplayer to A LOT of people.

Arigato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalmack View Post
You are still to brain washed by playing WoW. The world is persistent it's always there it's always the same environments you play in. It does offer multiplayer to A LOT of people.
..so you think CS, CoD, Quake or even Microsoft XP's Hearts+Reversi are MMO because these offer multiplayer to a lot of people? Huh.

Kaniol

Recruiter

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalmack View Post
Reading comprehension? I've linked a link to definition of persistent world, read it and compare.

So if StarCraft offers multiplayer to A LOT of people (Battle.net, hello!) then StarCraft is MMORTS? I guess you are just trolling

P.S. No, i don't play WoW, i've only played OGame, Shattered Galaxy, RO and Lineage for more than few days of all the MMO titles, but i'm totally done with them because the construction of MMO games make it so that it rewards mass gaming way too much (Yeah, summoner levels and runes rewards mass gaming, but not to that extent. Very similar system to LoL's summoners was already implemented in Warlords BattleCry series. And NO, WBC IS NOT AN MMORTS).

zoau

02-10-2010

where is my free corki and skin? i voted, my acc is old enough but i didnt get it yet. give what you promised and i vote again.

Minnieky

02-10-2010

voted!

Salentrion

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashblade View Post
Is that even legal?

and secondly how is this game an MMO...WoW is an MMO, starcraft is a RTS, LoL is an RTS.. I am confused O.o
WoW isn't just an MMO. It's an MMORPG. Completely different things. MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online. Seeing as there are over 150k people that log onto LoL every day (according to them), I'd say that qualifies them. So what do you get when you put MMO and RTS together? Everybody say it with me: "Massively Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy".

Blade

02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaniol View Post

*head explodes*