[guide] Spankplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thewiggliesttuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

Introduction:

The majority of gangplanks that I see all go glasscannon plank (including high ELO people). The way I see it, glasscannon is best in the following situations:

1. Your team is much better than the enemy's and is currently winning
2. The enemy team is brain-dead ******ed and doesn't know how to focus

The reason it only works in these situations is because against competent players, the only thing GP can safely do is kite and parley (after ulting and using raise morale if possible). Even with a self heal/cleanse, it is extremely risky to run up to a squishy and mele them (at least master yi has super speed/attack speed allowing lifesteal to stay alive longer).
Therefore, I present to you spankplank, the gangplank that spanks enemy carries while being able to soak some damage.

Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells:

-As for Masteries, you can go 9-0-21 or 1-21-8 (Use the latter if your team only has one tank and have 3 other squishies)

-For Runes, I prefer mana regen/5 Yellow, Armor pen Red, Armorpen/Flat HP/Movementspeed quints, and cooldown/magic resist glyphs

-For Summoner Spells, I always bring ghost and exhaust. With a built in cleanse and heal, ghost + exhaust are superb defensive and offensive utilities. For example, if you are getting towerdived, exhaust + ghost + yummy fruit + gp ult will save you or at the very least take one down with you if you die (unless it's a 5 man gank in which case you didn't ward). Offensively, ghost and exhaust allows you to chase down opponents while inside your ultimate.

Skilling Order:

Take one point into raise morale. Level your ultimate as priority one, level your deliciously yummy fruit as priority two, parley as priority three, and raise morale for last.

- The reason I level Remove Scurvy first is because the mana cost does not change upon leveling and it gives an AMAZING heal for early game laning. GP is a pretty meh laner early game and when facing stronger laners, you will get extremely harrassed. Even with mana regen, using your weak parley that *sometimes* can hit harder as a harrassment is extremely mana intensive and unreliable. The majority of your killing damage will come from your ult early game, so survive and farm as much as possible till level 6.

Items

*Buy at least a level one boot sometime after step 1*

1. Start with a Meki Pendant + 2 HP pots or a Doran's Ring (you will sell these later)

2. Try to lane until you have about 1800 gold to afford both a Heart of Gold + Avarice blade (if you get harrassed back early, try to get one of these items, 1-2 pots and a ward). These two items give you gold, useful stats, and both builds into great items that you will get later.

3. Finish up your Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi. (If the enemy AD or AP carry is extremely fed and is a huge threat towards you, grab a complementary chain vest or negatron cloak).

4 Finish off your Youmu's Ghostblade (again, grab a chainvest or negatron cloak if needed)

5. Start Building a Infinity edge (did I mention you should get a chainvest or negatron cloak?)

*Disclaimer* If you are dominating the enemies and/or your team is winning and/or the enemy team aren't fed, go ahead and build a youmus + infinity after your heart of gold and avarice and merc treads.

6. Finish off your Randuins + Force of Nature/Banshees.

7. The rest are optional depending on how the game is going, if you need more defenses, grab a guardian angel, if you're doing fine, grab a last whisper.

---Final Item build:
Youmu's Ghostblade, Randuin's Omen, Infinity Edge, Banshee's Veil/Force of Nature, Merc Treads, Optional

OR

Tankier variant:

Youmu's Ghostblade, Randuins, Atma's, Merc Treads, Banshee's/FoN, Optional

Optionals can be Triforce, Last whisper, Guardian Angel, Banshees or FoN if you got one and not the other, or 5 wards cause you're awesome like that.

Which lane?!?!??!?!

GP can lane solo top, mid, or bot depending on the enemy composition, however I recommend the bot lane. This is because if you don't have a reliable jungler/team, the enemy laners can easily push minions to your tower and start pounding on it without fearing much damage from you pre-6, and you can't clear minion waves to stop them from hitting your tower. As for bot, I recommend laning with Jarvan. Once both of you get to level 6, the enemy laners are likely to be screwed.

Early Game

Grab your raise morale and stand by the turret for the lane that you're going to. Deny the mele minion that comes out and follow the rest to your lane, and you should be able to deny a second mele minion right as you get to your tower. From here, focus on keeping the minion line right outside your tower range and deny mele minions. There is a cannon minion every 3rd wave, so watch for that and make sure you deny the cannon minion. If the minions do get to your tower, hit the mele minion after it takes 2 hits from the tower or hit the caster minion once, let it get hit by the tower, then last hit it. Use Remove Scurvy as needed and occasionally last hit with Parley. If you can get close to the enemies, try to hit them once so that they cannot heal well due to your passive.

You should be level 6 while the enemies, depending on if they had to go back or not, should be 1 or 2 levels lower than you. Once you get to level 6, call your jungler to help gank (or if you think you can do it, just go kill them with your level 6 advantage if you have a good lanning mate). When level 6, also keep an eye out on other lanes and use your ult to assist your teammates (or steal kills kekeke).

Midgame

Once you have your youmu's, you should be doing some nice DPS (get red buff if no other teammates needs it). Youmu's + remove scurvy is also great for escaping bad situations. Remember to ward whenever possible.
Youmu's + Infinity edge or even Youmu's + Atmas will deal a surprising amount of damage to enemy squishies. In teamfights, let your tank engage, then go for their squishy. Make sure to Cover as much of the Squishy's movement range as possible with Cannon Barrage. Remember to use the active on youmu's and randuin's.

Conclusion:

Nihles

03-14-2011

I like the interaction between youmuu's and randuin's omen. However, you have some formatting issues where the entire guide has been double posted in your text.

thewiggliesttuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

well that sucks because it's my first time posting on this forum lol, I have no clue what's wrong with the formatting

Craixis

03-15-2011

... So why is Parrrley < Remove Scurvy?
The increased gold gain and damage makes it easier to farm up your items, so I see no point in getting it over remove scurvy (as you said, the mana cost per level stays the same, and all that lowers is the cooldown... all I find I have issues with on Pirate is my mana supply, not my health, even in the horrible lanes).

thewiggliesttuff

03-15-2011

This is because parley is extremely unreliable and mana intensive in addition to your denying every chance u get. If you face good enemy laners, they WILL take advantage of the fact that you're not as strong a laner as say a renekton and harrass everychance they get (especially a lane like taric + ashe). If you get lucky though and nobody harrasses you or tower dives you the whole laning phase I guess the heal wouldn't make any difference, but I rarely have this occur. Parley is also a pretty bad harrass without damage+crit items or a full page of runes to make it slightly more reliable (but still really unreliable). In addition, your main damage at low levels comes mostly out of your ultimate. Q plays a much small role. Having a godlike heal + cleanse at early levels increases your survivability dramatically, and is just way too useful to giveup for an unreliable harass that is very mana intensive. You'll still farm minions with autoattack or sometimes Q, and your main source of income will also come form assists from your ultimate.

thewiggliesttuff

03-15-2011

Hmm my post is not showing up but a second one is a duplicate so I'll just add here, in addition, By the time you have good enough items to be doing nice damage (around level 11-13), and also the time when real fights begin, your Q will be at a nice level in junction with your items. GP is pretty weak at low levels, unlike other mele dps champs, and the only thing that makes him good at killing at low levels is his ultimate. And also, remove scurvy heals much more when you level it up, the cooldown is not the only thing effected.

Soo tl;dr, parley is unreliable, mana intensive, and weak most of the time at low levels where cannon barrage=most of your damage, so leveling the heal first allows you to stay in lane extremely well, so you can farm up levels and minions and grab a youmu's asap. You'll still have Q at level 4 at least when teamfights begin, and you'll also have your youmu's (or at least a brutalizer + avarice)

thewiggliesttuff

03-15-2011

well what do you know, quickpost works but regular reply doesnt, so ill just copy paste what i wrote in the regular reply here:

This is because parley is extremely unreliable and mana intensive in addition to your denying every chance u get. If you face good enemy laners, they WILL take advantage of the fact that you're not as strong a laner as say a renekton and harrass everychance they get (especially a lane like taric + ashe). If you get lucky though and nobody harrasses you or tower dives you the whole laning phase I guess the heal wouldn't make any difference, but I rarely have this occur. Parley is also a pretty bad harrass without damage+crit items or a full page of runes to make it slightly more reliable (but still really unreliable). In addition, your main damage at low levels comes mostly out of your ultimate. Q plays a much small role. Having a godlike heal + cleanse at early levels increases your survivability dramatically, and is just way too useful to giveup for an unreliable harass that is very mana intensive. You'll still farm minions with autoattack or sometimes Q, and your main source of income will also come form assists from your ultimate.

thewiggliesttuff

03-15-2011

gah this forum is so confusing

thewiggliesttuff

03-15-2011

forgot to mention this, but if your team is overwhelmingly winning or their team is overwhelmingly ******ed, after heart of gold + avarice, go straight dps (keep the heart of gold if you need it later and they get smart)

Larson McMurphy

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiggliesttuff View Post
Parley is also a pretty bad harrass without damage+crit items or a full page of runes to make it slightly more reliable (but still really unreliable).
Actually all you need is a sheen and armor penetration marks to make parrrly pretty reliable harassment. Sheen ain't that expensive.