Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] MASTER Yi - the pwnage master

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeadRamza

02-09-2010

this is my first guide and with it i can pwn easyli with this since you can kill a tanker like mundo in about 10 seconds max so i decided to share my strategy with you guys

Why choose master yi?

he's fun to play during all the game since you can kill easyli

Rune set:

try to concentrate in attack speed, critical damage, attack damage and armor penetration
it doesn't matter what you take best...
because runes are good eitherr way

Masteries:

offensive:
3 deadliness
1 cripple
4 Sorcery
3 alacrity (the other masteries have a higher priority than this one)
3 sunder
1 archaic knowledge
3 brute forcer
3 lethality
1 Havoc

Utility:

1 Good Hands
3 Perseverance
2 awareness
2 expanded mind

these are the masteries i've chosen but you can choose whatever you like just don't choose AP because yi sucks with AP and AP yi is = newbie feeder

Summoner Spells:

i use flash to run and chase
exhaust to chase (with the criple mastery you reduce the target's resistance too)
cleanse (sometimes instead of flash i use cleanse because there's always a teemo blinding you for 5 hours and someone stunning you every 2 seconds)
heal is good when you're alone against more than 2 enemies it makes you almost invincible

Equipment:

start buying Boots of speed, 2 life potions and 1 mana potion
then you buy berseker's greaves
then vampiric scepter (you can buy it before berserker's greaves if you want to... this is what will make you almost invincible)
then you build last whisper buy buying the bow first... then the sword... then the last whisper (this is when you start pwning the ass out of magicians and heros with few defense)
now you build phantom dancer (with phantom dancer you'll pwn everything)
now you build infinity edge buy buying B.F. sword first and then the pickaxe
now it is the time to buy another B.F sword to buy the bloodthister (the reason why you have to keep vampiric scepter... and you can stack it at minions)
for the last item you buy a B.F. sword again and the "the black cleaver"

(optional): if you don't like to get stunned you should by banshee's veil instead of the black cleaver

with this build and with the bloodthirster stacked you can solo baron losing about 100 to none life if you trigger your ultimate and the wuju stile ability

Ability build:

1: E
2: Q
3: if you're losing life too fast you pick W (meditate) to recover your life... but you can chose E too...

the ability priority is highlander ( R ) > wuju stile ( E ) > alpha strike ( Q ) > meditate ( W )

Early game till you buy Zeal to build phantom dancer:

start by picking top or bot...
teamwork with your lane partner is essencial...
if you have an enemy with an attack that goes foward like mundo nidalee or ashe you can use you partner as a human shield (try to protect him while he's stuned)...
always trigger the E ability (wuju stile) when you're going to engage an enemy and if possible use the exhaust too
you will kill the enemyes almost all the time
NEVER go to jungle... farm with minions, keep smart and harass your enemy but beying defensive all the time and always getting minions and the priority is the turret if the turret is dying ignore the enemy attacking you and get the turret (a dying turret is more important than you)...
if you trigger wuju stile the you'll deal even more damage to it

Mid to late game:

as soon as you get phatom dancer (your equipment should be Berserker's greaves, vampiric scepter, last whisper and phantom dancer) you'll be pwning everyone that gets close to you (remeber to always trigger your ultimate and wuju stile when you're going to an enemy)
just attack when someone gets close and gank if your team needs help
remember that the turrets worth more than one death
with this you should win easyli

now for some pros and cons of this build

pros:
- you'll get turrets really faster than the others
- with the full build and with the bloodthirster stacked at max your enemys will handle about 2 to 5 hits (5 if you're fighting a tanker)

cons:
- if you get stunned without heal or cleanse around or near a strong (or more than one) enemy you're dammed
- your health is low so tower dive is very risky unless you're VERY sure you'll kill someone or destroy the turret

that was my quickguide and my first guide
i hope you like it and i hope that you can make a good use of it

any questions and ideas just comment below and i maybe edit the post

and don't forget to tell me about your experiences with it
oh and don't forget to rate it if you liked

Mozric

02-09-2010

I lol'd.

wellwish3r

02-09-2010

How aout a phage/frozen mallet for the slow AND the HP, oh and pure AttkSpeed is not very useful, since Wuju does not suffice for damage output.

DeadRamza

02-09-2010

Quote:
wellwish3r:
How aout a phage/frozen mallet for the slow AND the HP, oh and pure AttkSpeed is not very useful, since Wuju does not suffice for damage output.

these items make you weaker...
and you don't need slow because you're way way faster than the others and you don't need hp because you can recover it by hitting with the lifesteal...
if you attack creeps you can recover you health easyli
and at level 18 meditate recovers almost all your health

Gigg

02-09-2010

This actually could work against any teams that will not focus fire you / have no stuns / use all CC at the same time on the tank / have no espace mechanism.

Eviant

02-09-2010

Dead, I don't even know where to start with this...
Granted, I'm no master player, but as soon as I saw the masteries...I nearly cried.

To start, the Yi that has Archaic knowledge is already doomed. He has absolutely no use for it. Alpha strike has almost no damage, and what Archaic knowledge can do, Alacrity can do better. There is no real need to reduce cooldown, as his abilities already have a decent cooldown. So 5 wasted points there. Second, No need for Expanded mind, as a proper Yi won't run out of mana, and the one that does, should rethink his strategy.
Those could be better used to increase useful abilities such as Offensive mastery, and Awareness (Suggested for 4 points, as Gank characters are more worried about Hero kills, and therefore, don't worry so much about staying around for minion kills)

Next, suggesting that you use your lane mate as a shield is a downright stupid one. By doing that, you force him to retreat first, and therefore he loses out on precious experience.
And third, focusing on attack speed leaves you with dealing almost no damage, further reduced by armour, which reduces the amount of health you gain.

Oh, and one last thing...A fight will never last 10 seconds...and if it does, you as a Yi, will have failed. Sorry, but I have nothing kind to say about this...Really, go take a look at some other guides, and try them before putting this back up once more

CrazyCranium

Recruiter

02-10-2010

This guide is pretty meh, while the item build is not awful, some of the advice you give is pretty bad. Your advice to stay out of the jungle is completely wrong, eating up jungle creeps is one of yi's strengths. With a jungling build you can tear through the jungle faster than almost any other character. Lizard on yi will almost ensure that a gank target wont get away. Before the recent nerfs (lowering highlanders scaling with items and fixing exhaust to work through highlander) and the changing neutral spawn times, i used to jungle as yi from level 1. It is very different fighting against a yi that is always mia and ready to pop out with a lizard buff.

While it is true that yi is fast, it is just as important to keep the enemy near your allies otherwise you are just going to chase your target to the rest of his team or into a tower. This is why you need a slow if you dont have an ally available to feed kills to you. Exhaust is good, lizard is good, phage/frozen mallet is good.

Also, yi is anything but invincible, he is actually one of the squishier characters. Sure he can gain back a ton of health with lifesteal, but what if you get stunned, feared, blinded, taunted, or otherwise disabled? Those two seconds without your precious lifesteal is more than enough time to take you down. Also, anyone with the new exhaust can completly shut you down for 3 seconds.

With the recent nerf to highlander, attack speed builds are now much weaker on yi. As with any dps character, you need a healthy mix of damage, attack speed, crit chance, and possibly even some armor pen. I really approve of last whisper, it is a very strong item, especially for its relatively low cost. All in all, your item build is not terrible, but you will need some mana regen if you are not jungling to spam alpha strike to farm. Chalice is not a bad choice. You also should get at least one survivability item, phage/frozen mallet is a good choice because of the included slow.

You mastery build is pretty bad, you have no need for cooldown reduction or magic pen, as alpha strike is only good for farming or closing the gap between an enemy. i would put 4 points in xp gain and one into utility mastery, the neutral buffs are very strong and it is good to have them for as long as possible.

Vylent

Recruiter

02-10-2010

pretty sure this item list plays better...

1. Vampiric scepter
2. Malady (Build)
3. Zerk Boots (Build)
4. Frozen Mallet (Build)
5. Phantom Dancer (Build)
6. Madred's Bloodrazor (Build)
7. ....this item is w/e you need for that game

Step 1 i get the vampiric scepter so i can stay in the lane as long as possible but you could also get the Dagger for the increased attack speed.

DeadRamza

02-10-2010

Quote:
Vylent:
pretty sure this item list plays better...

1. Vampiric scepter
2. Malady (Build)
3. Zerk Boots (Build)
4. Frozen Mallet (Build)
5. Phantom Dancer (Build)
6. Madred's Bloodrazor (Build)
7. ....this item is w/e you need for that game

Step 1 i get the vampiric scepter so i can stay in the lane as long as possible but you could also get the Dagger for the increased attack speed.

last whisper is better an do more damage than malady
Zerk Boots does not appear in the item database and i don't know what it does... but berserker's graves gives you attack speed...
wich is essential
frozen mallet occupies infinity edge space
madred's bloodrazor ocupies the bloodthirsther space and the bloodthirster stack giving you more lifesteal and attack damage
and having an itm missing in a complete build is horrible

Quote:
Eviant:
Dead, I don't even know where to start with this...
Granted, I'm no master player, but as soon as I saw the masteries...I nearly cried.

To start, the Yi that has Archaic knowledge is already doomed. He has absolutely no use for it. Alpha strike has almost no damage, and what Archaic knowledge can do, Alacrity can do better. There is no real need to reduce cooldown, as his abilities already have a decent cooldown. So 5 wasted points there. Second, No need for Expanded mind, as a proper Yi won't run out of mana, and the one that does, should rethink his strategy.
Those could be better used to increase useful abilities such as Offensive mastery, and Awareness (Suggested for 4 points, as Gank characters are more worried about Hero kills, and therefore, don't worry so much about staying around for minion kills)

that was just to enable other slots in the massteries...
and when someone screws with your killing when you have the ultimate triggered you can use the reduced cooldown to come back faster to battle...

Quote:
CrazyCranium:
This guide is pretty meh, while the item build is not awful, some of the advice you give is pretty bad. Your advice to stay out of the jungle is completely wrong, eating up jungle creeps is one of yi's strengths. With a jungling build you can tear through the jungle faster than almost any other character. Lizard on yi will almost ensure that a gank target wont get away. Before the recent nerfs (lowering highlanders scaling with items and fixing exhaust to work through highlander) and the changing neutral spawn times, i used to jungle as yi from level 1. It is very different fighting against a yi that is always mia and ready to pop out with a lizard buff.

if you want a buff you can go into the jungle... but to make money it's better to do on creeps...
it helps your team pushing and creeps are easyer to kill

Vylent

Recruiter

02-10-2010

zerk is just how my group of friends refer to anything berserk(so i was refering to berserker boots). Also, it wasnt meant to be a complete build.... im not here to hold your hand through every game. i was giving you an idea on how to improve. I dont see that equipment taking you far to be honest though... you dont have a slow except your summoner spells and it looks like ppl are going to tear through you like nothing b/c you have nothing there going towards your survival.

now its w/e i guess seems like you want to be a glass cannon but with no slow idk how your going to get up/stay on them to do your thing. Plus like the other guy up top has said... you cant let them get back to their team or a turret. Find a place for frozen mallet and it will make your guy just better all around. more survival and a slow. you wont have to rely on a single spell then.

Im not claiming to be the best player with yi hands down blah blah blah. Im sure my build could use some tweaking which i try to do every now and then. you know... switch this, with that, and get this sooner yadda yadda. I just think its better even if by just a little then the one you listed.