Rating gain/loss per match

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sullust

03-14-2011

Hi, I have played a few ranked games 30 wins 15 loses, or so, I was gaining about 12-18 rating per win, at 1400 rating.

Then I started playing with my friend, he had 0 games in ranked. While I was gaining/losing about 15 rating per match, he was gaining/losing about 40-45 rating per match.

I thought that was due to the difference of our ratings, and we would end up gaining the same amount when he reached my rating.

But he happens to pass me, and still gains more rating per win(about 30 more than I do), we are always playing together now.

I would like to know if that's normal or what's causing that big difference between our rating change per match (same match).

PS: Sorry, my english is not that good.

hieroakz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

Don't expect a response. I don't believe the RIOT team has any intention of releasing any information regarding their Elo system and the details with which it functions, for fear of getting flamed by the entire community. Or they could and just change the ratings of their post like they did with patch notes a few patches ago...

K1ngCrazy

03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieroakz View Post
Don't expect a response. I don't believe the RIOT team has any intention of releasing any information regarding their Elo system and the details with which it functions, for fear of getting flamed by the entire community. Or they could and just change the ratings of their post like they did with patch notes a few patches ago...
it seems as though you are being a little harsh with this post, whether intended or not. i feel like you should revise it. the simple fact is riot games is not just a game but a business and i am sure the staff is working very hard into the issue posted above. I would like to believe that the riot team is trying to fix the problem before they post. because we all know if one of their staff came on and said "yes it is an unknown issue we are trying to solve" a dozen trolls would pop in and bash riot games for no reason at all. so please be more patient in your response.

David7

03-14-2011

You start off gaining/losing more elo so you reach your "true" elo. Then when you've played enough games to be in your "true" elo and the system is more sure of your rating you gain/lose less. I could be wrong but it's probably something like that.

Lizto

03-16-2011

David7 said it, ELO systems are based upon howmany games you've played to be accurate. When you first start playing, you may see your ELO jumping all over the place and it'll eventually start getting slower as the ELO system will measure it more accurately. Chess players are measured via ELO, and thats pretty much how it works.

This is the reason I dont wanna start playing ranked until Im pretty confident with my skill on various champs, since I dont wanna get stuck in "ELO Hell" longer than needed.

Sullust

03-17-2011

Thanks for the response guys, now that makes sense to me.