Mid tips vs. Karthus?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kinney

04-01-2010

Okay, so I'm a decent solo mid player. 90% of the time I'm out-farming, out-harassing, and sometimes killing the opposing mid, and I can do this both with and against a wide variety of champions.

My bete noir, however, is Karthus. He always shuts me down in mid, pushing me back to the tower and making me constantly dance around trying to avoid Lay Waste, never running out of mana in the process. If I move in to last hit anything or harass him, boom, Lay Waste right in my path. If I rush him, he pops Heal and kills me with Defile.

In other words, he's an absolute nightmare for me to deal with in solo mid unless I happen to be playing Sivir, Anivia, Ezreal, or Annie. How do I deal with the son of a lich?

concretebuddha

04-01-2010

Play Mord. Buy a regrowth pendant and a negatron cloak. (Turn them into a FoN.)

Or, play your main, and buy a negatron cloak and boots of swiftness.

Toxic Nerve

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

as ezreal itll be near impossible to harass him because if he's smart, he'll be attacking from behind the second set of creeps, thus not allowing you to harass with Q nor let you get close enough to use W.

as sivir:
shouldn't be bad, just make sure you keep running around in zig zags avoiding his little fire bomb. make him waste his mana early game and you can end up getting a kill. never stand in the same spot when fighting karthus.

anivia:
i dnt think it should be too bad because i have been harassed by anivia, while im karthus because of her range, but idk, i cant give tips on how to play anivia.

annie:
once again no idea, but i think itd be a similar situation as for ezreal, so just start ganking others a lot.

Fuz2o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

Haha, you just named 4 people you can counter him with (really? Anivia though? Slow birds < land mines).

A common solution to avoiding mines on any Champion is buy boots first, to allow you to outpace the mines. Also, stay close to your minions to not take double damage from mines.

Kinney

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuz2o View Post
Haha, you just named 4 people you can counter him with (really? Anivia though? Slow birds < land mines).

A common solution to avoiding mines on any Champion is buy boots first, to allow you to outpace the mines. Also, stay close to your minions to not take double damage from mines.
Anivia because Flash Frost outranges anything he has.

The champs I have trouble with him on are Twisted Fate and Tristana, mostly.

Praedoran

04-01-2010

I solo mid sometimes with Karthus and the worst matchup I've had was another, who picked up Clarity over me who had Exhaust (was expecting Ashe). Clarity Karthus can harass like nobody's business, but Karthus will always have poor escape mechanisms. If he pushes you back to your tower, call in a ganker to come get him. The best he'll do is a short range Flash but with his slow movespeed, he most likely won't reach his tower in time. He -can- harass you back to your tower, but that puts him in a very bad situation where a Shaco, Warwick, or whatnot will get an easy kill.

Lachoneus

03-18-2011

I main karthus. I will tell you how people counter me and make me cry.

First off as far as playing mid goes you can run him out of mana.
dodge alot, and don't b predicable. I often watch people and they will run in patterns. once i find the pattern it's good bye to them.

when running away karthus don't run in a straight line. people who run away from him straight to thier tower get really hurt. people who zig zag don't take nearly the damage as run away.

Defile is Karthus's bain. It drains mana sooo fast. If their Karthus isn't using clarity (which most don't)
goes in for the kill the best thing is to not stand still. dodge his bombs and he will run out of mana before you die. that is of course only if you aren't already at a sliver of life.

Another tactic people use against me which shuts me down is to fight him in minions. a common misconception about Karthus is that defile is his best skill. It's actually not, his main skill his bomb (lay waste) is. lay waste does double damage if it hits only one target, so if you are amount your minions you are effectively taking half the damage. this coupled with defile will run a Karthus out of mana and you'll be great

Other people have mentioned his escapablilty but i'm going to say it again. Karthus pushes without really trying. you can just let him push to you tower and coll over your jungler. You will kill him, he can't get away.

A couple more things.

First off his ult is a channeling spell so you can interrupt it. Killing him counts as an interrupt.

Karthus continues to fight even after he is killed for 8 seconds, but he can't move. during this time he is untargetable and uninterpretable and doesn't use mana. In big team fights once you kill him you need to move the fight out of his range. DON'T FIGHT ON HIS CORPSE. he will melt your face. Karthus is useless without mana. Often times when i run out of mana i will run into the fray and intentionally die so i can keep fighting. If you see he's oom, ignore him. he can't help the fight at all. once you've secured victory in the team fight feel free to gang rape the useless Lich. A living Lich without mana is better than a dead one.

About him being untargetable i often will wait to die before using my ult, there isn't really much you can do about it just be aware that he does it.

Late game he will have it for every team fight.

Lachoneus

03-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praedoran View Post
I solo mid sometimes with Karthus and the worst matchup I've had was another, who picked up Clarity over me who had Exhaust (was expecting Ashe). Clarity Karthus can harass like nobody's business, but Karthus will always have poor escape mechanisms. If he pushes you back to your tower, call in a ganker to come get him. The best he'll do is a short range Flash but with his slow movespeed, he most likely won't reach his tower in time. He -can- harass you back to your tower, but that puts him in a very bad situation where a Shaco, Warwick, or whatnot will get an easy kill.
Oops downvoted this comment. that was a misclick. It should have been a + vote.

This is the truest statement I've seen in a while