How do you build your competitive Udyrs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Expedio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-13-2011

Hi all

I was wondering how viable Udyr is at a higher level and how he is played well after all the changes that have been done to him. I haven't been able to find any guides that are recent at all and I know they buffed tiger stance so how do you all play him now?

I'm guessing he's probably best jungling so for summoner abilities smite and ghost.

Now do you all get tiger stance or phoenix for jungling and ganking. Obviously when to get bear is straight forward but is tiger better for jungling then phoenix? As for turtle i'm under the impression it's quite useless unless you need it for jungling. The shield is a little pitiful at 60 / 100 / 140 / 180 / 220 (+0.5 per ability power) and you would really never get AP on udyr right?

So what do you guys all think?

Hazal

03-13-2011

From the guides I have seen turtle is the core skill to use along with bear.

Sir Blazin Blunt

03-13-2011

I don't think DPS udyr is viable. He is great for his early ganks, constant stun support, and tankiness. And I always try to get a triforce on udyr, so I do get a bit of AP. If you haven't tried trinity force, you really should. This item was made for champs like udyr as it gives him an opportunity to slightly increase in effectiveness all across the board resulting in a huge increase of your threatening presence.

Try Aegis of the Legion too, again, more of he support role I feel udyr fills superbly... constant stuns PLUS buffing the dps of those allies that you rely on to kill the enemy you just stunned.

Try movement speed runes. If you don't have MS runes, or are saving for them, get quickness in utility. MS for udyr is that important in my opinion. MS runes plus triforce plus spamming bear stance... you want to always be able to catch and stun your prey as udyr. I would not suggest stacking MS runes with quickness masteries, however, use your MS runes as a free pass to putting 21 in defense.

This is the way I play udyr anyways. I'll say it myself, its not very exciting. I always manage to go like 2/2/19 or something lol.

hieroakz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2011

Udyr's is most effective early-mid game. In late game you fall off and really are only of use due to your ability to continually stun. DPS udyr, outside of a game that you get fed and ends in 25 minutes is a mistake. For jungling level phoenix and and turtle and for ganking, bear obviously. Smite and ghost is correct for summoner skills. I play Udyr frequently and end game fights (depending on your team comp obviously) usually only entails chasing down the other teams carrys to immobilize and slow, or defending your own.

Stormwake

03-14-2011

Wriggles, Mercury treads, Trinity force. Rest is situational. Dont listen to these kids, tiger stance is better then phoenix. Max tiger stance first, followed by turtle, at level 4 get bear stance and gank.

SO that's Q, W, Q, E.

feed lag repeat

03-15-2011

revearie + ghostblade

Cowicula

03-19-2011

I'm a huge fan of Tiger Stance. The damage ratio is extremely high, so even without +damage gear you can still dish out damage to kill people before they can escape to their tower. This is really important early game. My usual early game is jungle:
(Using Ghost and Smite)
1) Take Tiger at level 1
2) Blue Buff -> Level 2 -> Take Turtle (Rank 1)
3) Wolves ->Wraiths->Red Buff. Take Tiger for level 3, and finally Bear for level 4
4) Use ghost/bear to run into the lane to gank, stun and then immediately switch to tiger and smack them a few times. Switch back to bear as soon as the stun is ready to proc again.
5) IF things go bad, use turtle/bear alternation to escape.

Keep repeating this cycle as often as possible, gathering your core build items as you go. For me:
1) Madred's Razor, Merc Treads, Warden's Mail.
2) Upgrade Madred's to wriggle's if you want lifestealing and more map awareness. Otherwise, save it for a late game Bloodrazor if the other team has alot of tank-dps characters or is stacking armor.
3) Upgrade Warden's Mail to Randuin's Omen. Great for catching people or escaping... solid tank item.
4) Force of Nature!
5) At this point pick whether you want to be more defensive or offensive. If you find yourself dying alot, go defensive. If you find them getting away from ganks barely, use offensive. If both of these are happening you are in trouble anyway. Defensive items: Banshee's Veil or Warmog's. Offensive Items: Black Cleaver, Bloodthirster, Bloodrazor. NOT Triforce. The reason is that udyr does most of his damage in Tiger Stance, when his attacks are split into three rapid hits. This gives you a great benefit for items with proc effects, but a detriment to items like Sheen and Triforce that buff single attacks.

Danei

03-21-2011

Quote:
NOT Triforce. The reason is that udyr does most of his damage in Tiger Stance, when his attacks are split into three rapid hits. This gives you a great benefit for items with proc effects, but a detriment to items like Sheen and Triforce that buff single attacks.
According to the tooltip, on-hit effects are only applied by the first of those three hits.

aRchiBole

03-23-2011

Try this route, it is not the most efficient but I us eit because of the gank orientation-Blue-wolfs-wraiths-double golem, recal pick up boots and get red and gank with boots advantage, you could do entire jungle and redue small camps and go back and get madreds but this route alows better ganks. For items try a wriglles sheen randuim's banshies as a base ifor most games.

ZirconCode

03-24-2011

Last I checked you build him with Locket =p