Assert pointer is null

First Riot Post
12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gunshow

08-20-2009

OK, so I initially installed this game on XP it worked great. After the last patch I started getting spurts of the game going from 80+ FPS down to 3 for 5 to 10 seconds. No one really knew why so I thought I would try and install windows 7 and see if that fixed the problem.

It did! The game was running smoothly once again and all was well. BUT that was all after the initial installation without ever closing the game. Now if I try and start the game using the shortcut or anything that can be found through the folders all I get is a message that says

ASSERT:Pointer is NULL...
(..\..\..\source\shared\bufferlog.c/98)

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated

Gunshow

08-21-2009

Moving the files into Program files fixed the problem. Thanks

IS19a36bdf1974d8

08-23-2009

I had the same error - the game ran the first time after installing and updating, then the "ASSERT:Pointer is NULL (etc)" error appeared the next time I attempted to load it. I'd installed the game to e:\games\League of Legends. Moving the directory to e:\games\Riot Games\League of Legends seems to have worked around this particular problem on my PC.

Klashe

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxy View Post
I had the same error - the game ran the first time after installing and updating, then the "ASSERT:Pointer is NULL (etc)" error appeared the next time I attempted to load it. I'd installed the game to e:\games\League of Legends. Moving the directory to e:\games\Riot Games\League of Legends seems to have worked around this particular problem on my PC.
The exact opposite worked for me.

I had installed to e:\games\Riot Games\League of Legends and it gave me the assert error.

When I moved to e:\games\Riot Games\League of Legends it worked.

Weird.

xanavi

09-05-2009

I found that if you run the launcher in administrator mode you won't have that error.

It seems like the launcher needs permission to edit/add files to the program files folder.

My guess is that it needs to download and install patches.

I believe it's also the reason that changing the install folder works as well.

softienerd

03-07-2010

Previous poster is correct. This is actually a problem/bug with the way league of legends tries to access files. It's most likely caused by an attempted file write to the installed directory, which is likely to be ACLed admin write only. When you run LoL in admin mode, it would have the necessary permission to write and thus won't cause the exception.

What's funny is that heroes of newerth has the same problem

Vlad DrakoV

03-31-2010

Hello there,
I have the same error but I just hit ok and re-execute the shortcut and the luncher work perfectly.

TheUnhallowed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2010

I have tried running as admin mode and reinstalling, I am still getting the NULL error.
I also noticed that it just keeps force updating and adding more folders to my directories, i need help ASAP.
Thanks

// after many many restarts and alt + f4, its now updating. Not sure if this helps anyone but it worked for me :P
//

Pokeofdoom

04-22-2010

I just got this problem yesterday after I downloaded the patch for the TR. I was mid game when my character stopped responding to any commands (could not move, use abilities, or even chat). so i restarted the client but was unable to connect.... so i closed the launcher and then got the error...

(..\..\..\source\shared\patcher.c/1924)

I was on the LoL forums and streaming music from grooveshark when this happened, now II am unable to access either of these website or the LoL launcher...

I am on windows 7 and i have the game installed on a different hard drive... I have been playing since beta and never had this kind of problem before. I tried to reinstall but was able to access the website... i got the downloader from a friend who emailed it to me, but after the download I am still getting the same thing...

I have even tried resetting, uninstalling/reinstalling my router.

No idea what to do...

Warbeleth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2010

I was playing the game maybe... 8 hours ago? No issues, no major changes to my OS, no installs, nothing...

(..\..\..\source\shared\patcher.c/1924)

Has become my new buddy.

The client sits on "Retrieving version info" Then I close it, try restarting it, it shows no signs of activity, then pops up with the above error.

Running windows 7 64bit.

12345 ... 11