Why dont we have an APM?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PNDA

06-05-2011

I don't know why but from watching Starcraft proness used to be measured by factory in APM
(actions per minute) and i feel league almost needs about the same management skills as that game and i would really for ****s and giggles like to know my APM in team fights and such. And those champs who require the least amount of APM would be considered no skills champs am i right?

All those no skill mages who think there pro for knowing a mages combo

T r u

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2011

You think league takes a quarter of the skill of starcraft? You're wrong. APM would be worthless.

UrbanThePope

06-06-2011

We have an APM meter already. Creep kills.

APM is a measure of your skill at mouseclick micromanagement when it is required the most.

Creep kills is a measure of your skill at mouseclick micromanagement when it is required the most.

TehBrettster

06-06-2011

This is League of Freaking Legends.

You control one character...
and a sign of good skill is in many cases to NOT perform an action.

Do you really want a contest to see who pointlessly right-clicks a path they've already selected the most? Or are you going to go into a game as Cho'Gath, sit in spawn pool, learn to toggle Vorpal Spikes, and dance around losing the game saying "I'M WINNING IN APM" while all the characters with higher cooldowns win the game with a 10th of your APM?

Okay.

TehReedster

06-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBrettster View Post
This is League of Freaking Legends.

You control one character...
and a sign of good skill is in many cases to NOT perform an action.

Do you really want a contest to see who pointlessly right-clicks a path they've already selected the most? Or are you going to go into a game as Cho'Gath, sit in spawn pool, learn to toggle Vorpal Spikes, and dance around losing the game saying "I'M WINNING IN APM" while all the characters with higher cooldowns win the game with a 10th of your APM?

Okay.
Agreed. We already have ONE stupid way of judging the game, and that is the kill/death/assist ratio. It is needed to be able to tell which enemy needs to be shut down first (the most fed one), but even then, if you are paying attention to the game, you should know who needs to be shut down. Kill/death/assist ratio is just a nuisance, since its only service is making people who don't understand how the game works but manage to get a few kills, call you bad for having less kills when you did a good job holding your lane, have shown up to every team fight, stole the enemy jungler's red and blue a few times, etc. There are lots of ways to judge skill in this game, and having everyone's kill/death/assist ratio visible just makes noobs judge by that. Actions per minute would be the same way. New players that think they are good for having one "impressive" stat would taunt endlessly that everyone else is bad because they have a higher actions per minute score. Not needed. Next.

DaejinTye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2011

Eh... Since you can't even look up the stats of games past (Of course I mean past the set ammount of recent games) there is almost no need for a "Skill Measure" stat. As for the APM itself, it's useless in LoL, and would be quite low.

Another thing is, since you can't view other players' stats, there is no reason to have a comparable stat such as APM. APM only gets any measure of value when compared between a large group of players. We don't have that comparison.

As for the "Creep Kills is a measure of skill" is false in a lot of cases. I often get all, or give up all CK in a lane, (when duoing, of course) depending on the champion selection. I'd happily suffer a CK of 0 for the first 15 minutes of the game if it means a Vayne/Irelia/Tryn/Ashe/etc get a CK of 150 in that time. (I'd most likely be Sona or Soraka in that case.) Sure, I'd be a bit behind in a gold, and look like a "noob" but our carry/assassin would be in good position to get their items and start racking up kills. If we win, my individual stats become meaningless anyway.

The same holds true for the K/D/A ratio. I've suicided plenty of times so that our 15 Majai stacked Annie can live. So I end the game with 5-13-12, but our Anni doesn't lose stacks, goes 23-2-8, and we win. Doesn't mean I suck ass, means I was able to put the team before the self.

In conclusion, there is no need for any "skill stat" for people to try and measure their worth in a game. Simply because, those stats don't tell a story or describe the flow of a game. Only replays could do that.

JiYung

06-08-2011

Pros with ~250 APM would have 80% of it being simple clicks to move

Milkable

06-09-2011

Well seeing as I click around 20-30 times to move to one location, adding APM would really show them all how pro I am.