Sivir's Spell Shield - The "What is and what isn't blocked" List

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelios

02-22-2010

Should be a place to sticky this because it's definitely nice to know what the shield can and cannot block Thanks

Zombie Irwin

02-22-2010

I usually play Udyr and can confirm her shield blocks bear stun.

Poki3 tem

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

02-23-2010

And so comes the day that I was waiting for. After testing Udyr, the guide is now complete... at least until we get Mordekaiser, Ezreal and whatever Spider Queen, Blind Monk and big head alien creatures are in store for us :P

@Bagga
I decided to re-test Pantheon. You are wrong: Spear Shot was blocked every time we tried. I did find some other interesting facts however.
Aegis of Zeonia stuns and damages you if you're standing or moving towards Pantheon. If you're moving away from him, everything will be fine. Weird, huh? -_-
I also did some math and it turns out that Heartseeker Strike hits you 5 times, and that means that it pops your shield and none of the hits get blocked.

Xienwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2010

So, anyone ready to test Mordekaiser yet?

His Mace Strike: If he targets you, does SS prevent damage to yourself AND the 2 neighbors, JUST the 2 neighbors, or nothing at all? If his Q is used near you, but not on you, does it block you from being one of the neighbors, and if so, does it "take a slot" or just choose a different target.

His Armor Cloud: it is a body centered AoE like Fiddle or Karthus, so I doubt it pops SS at all.

His Cone: This one should obviously pop SS and be blocked completely

His Ultimate: I imagine you have to have SS up when he targets you, like with Timebombs. Putting up your Ultimate before dying by something that doesn't pop SS will quite likely NOT deny the ghost.

The other important question is: If SS blocks an ability, does he gain the shielding he SHOULD have gained if he hit you, or does it accurately deny him free damage absorbtion?

And I must say, this list changed the game for me quite nicely. I didn't know I could eat Teemo shrooms, so now even if I decide not to get an Oracle to farm shrooms for cash, I love knowing there are little pockets of free mana sitting out for me (it rocks when you SEE him place them). And I always just ASSUMED that Karthus's little ground blips wouldn't pop SS, so he was a terror against me in mid. Now however, I just have a weird skill build when up against Karthus, in that I max out SS as soon as possible to lower the cooldown and soak up all the mana I could ever desire (I actually tend to kill him quite often now, but wind up putting no points into Ricochet until the laning phase is over, since SS + BB is so sustainable and damaging against a Karthus who doesn't learn his lesson)

Draykeh

Recruiter

02-24-2010

amazing post, great job on it!

Xienwolf

02-24-2010

Ok, I wound up against Mordekaiser finally. He makes a pretty amazing mid, considering my opponent couldn't have been at the peak of skill for the fellow and he managed to harass me VERY effectively for quite a while (Sivir obviously won out in the end, but still... few have troubled me as easily, and NONE of them melee).

It appears that his Tripple-Blow can be blocked by Spell Shield, if it is directly targeted at you or not. If it was directed at you and you get to be one of the "extra 2" targets, then you cancel the one of those extra attacks (it doesn't bounce elsewhere). I wasn't able to tell if when he hit me directly it prevented the splash as well, or just my portion of the damage (not sure he ever tried it while I had SS ready).

His cone ability can be blocked by SS, he spammed it quite a bit, this was what I typically spent my SS on, as it was generally pretty obvious where he was hitting with it. Seemed he could do a cone each creep wave, so he tended to start the wave with one.

Never got in range of his particle cloud to test it, but as stated: pretty sure you cannot block that one.

There is no indication to allow you to prepare to block his Ult from being cast on you, and I never coincidentally had SS up to block it, so that is untested. Cleanse can remove his Ult from you, so I also never died from it to test a SS at the last minute, but basically it is just a DoT, so I doubt a SS as you die would prevent you from giving him a pet. Maybe one of these games I'll have a Banshee Veil and wind up alone with him to find out if the ult gets blocked.

I am not CERTAIN that SS blocks also prevented him from gaining damage absorbtion off of the damage he SHOULD have done to you, but it would not be easy to have written the code such that it wouldn't prevent his shield from charging by having prevented the damage, and it really did appear that he got far less shielding when I blocked his cone (though most of the time he was coning me and a ton of creeps, since the creeps were his real target, and I was a bonus -- though for me and not him as it was free mana)

daNNux

02-25-2010

Requiem (U) - Blocked if you cast SS before the lightning hits you and deals damage. Having SS up when he starts casting doesn't block the spell.

Are you sure? Im quite positive that i have blocked a few of his Ults with the shield at really low HP.
And i used my shield after the lightning appeared over me.

Poki3 tem

Emissary of the League

02-25-2010

Mordekaiser will be tested later today, or tomorrow, if everything will go as planned. Worst case scenario, you'll have to wait till next week when he'll be free.

@daNNux
You just said the same thing I wrote. You can't block the global debuff when he STARTS casting the spell, but you can block the damage from the lightning when the debuff ends.

Zerule

02-26-2010

Great thread, now make one for what Pantheon's shield does and does not block.

BboySparrow

02-27-2010

question! If i SS and cross thru veigars event horizon I know Ill be able to cross one border. but will it cross 2?