Nasus Early Game - Solo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kriptini

02-08-2010

I've picked up Nasus as my main champion, and every game I pick the solo mid lane, in order to keep the dragon on constant farm status as early as possible and to carry some aura items early game. There's a huge list of champions that I have a ridiculous amount of trouble with in the solo lane. To mention a few: Sivr, Kayle, Nunu, Taric, Ashe (sometimes), Poppy, Alistar (sometimes) and Teemo.

Now, this isn't making or breaking my game or anything - some games I feed as many as four deaths before level eight but end up bouncing back so hard I farm twice as many before level 18 - but I find it constantly annoying that I seem to start off on the wrong foot. I usually run Teleport and Blink because they're so useful late-game, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to spec for Heal and Ignite.

Any tips?

roninsm

02-08-2010

If you are having trouble laning against poppy there is definitely a problem. Poppy has possibly the worst lane control of any champ.

What items are you starting with? Your best bet is to start with a meki pendant and spam SF (every other wave usually) to maintain lane control. Run up only to last hit with SS. If they try to pressure you, wither them and hit them with SS. It hurts. Upgrade your meki to a chalice asap. With chalice, you have enough mana to SF just about every creep wave.

As far as summoner spells go, any combination of flash, exhaust and teleport is good. Don't waste your time with ignite.

Toasts

02-08-2010

I also am a Nasus lover : )

Well I guess nasus can be a good choice mid,but I would think he should be going bot *closer to the dragon so you can farm it easely*

With your E skill,you can take out creeps quite easely and with your passive,you can stay alive against opponents like ashe/teemo and other ranged

The only thing I could tell you that would be bad as a mid would be that you won't be able to farm up your Q skill as easly as in a lane,were you will have more chances to find creep,since your opponent will be able to get the attention of your opponents,and if you get in trouble he will be there.

You can play def on mid,but you will finish outfarmed it think,if you opponent makes sure to harass you a lot *as they should be doing*

i guess you would be better to try laning,SS is ZE **** about nasus,or at least,when games go lategame mode

You can keep playing mid,cuz omg yes,if you can level faster,you'l be great in team fights later on,but i guess that laning could give you some better SS farming and also give you less chance to lose your tower at long term = )!

My 2 cents,but I am far from being a good player x__X;

Kriptini

02-08-2010

Roninsm, I farm the balls off the golem starting at level six. Getting the Chalice when I could have Sheen or the Vampiric Scepter seems like a waste to me.

Thanks for the comments, Toasts. =)

Flapjacks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2010

Against certain champs you're simply going to have to play defensively and try to use spirit fire to farm and create some separation, though it's fairly easy for the opponent to simply step to the side :-/. Honestly though, I've only had solo mid with Nasus like once, I think he's better in one of the side lanes.

Maleagant

02-08-2010

I've been using Nasus as my main since he was released. I used to start every match Meki to Philo..... I have since placed mana regen (clarity) T3 runes in all my blue slots and have NEVER bought a mana regen item since.

I can understand a little difficultly with champs that have strong early game ranged nukes, Teemo's Dart, Nunu's Snowball, Pirate's Parrley..... these champs are simply a game of pop in keep SF up and stay in range of exp while staying out of their range on the nuke. It is best if you can establish your position early and keep strong (allowing for better placement on SF forcing them to work around you instead of vice versa) but sometimes this isn't the possible, just stay alive focus on leveling SF and know that you will knock down waves much faster than them in a few levels this will give you the edge you need.

As far as Ashe, Taric, Sivir, and other champs that think that can farm, Sivir is the only one that has ever given me problems and this is because of her very good attack speed and the passive (not her passive) ability to damage me while killing creeps. It still all boils down to proper placement of SF 99% of the people out there know to stay out of it, those who don't.... will die easy. Use SF to keep them away from your creeps as much as to kill a wave.

As to the summoner spells and toasts assertion that you'd be better of leaning for SS farming..... (HUH WTF?!?!). I use Teleport/Exhaust because of how good they are early game and the strength they maintain into later. Laning with someone else is the worst for leveling SS..... there is almost always a skill from Alpha strike to that thing the new gladiator does that will wipe out a wave just as soon as you hit SS waiting for your next hit, while a creep will rarely steal a last hit from ya.

I really wish more people would wake up and realize that Nasus is hands down the BEST solo against nearly 85% of the champs.

One final point if you are lvl 30 and have the IP buy a full set of T3 blue clarity (mana regen) runes, I promise you'll never regret it.

Edit: Incase it wasn't perfectly clear I use SF atleast once a wave (sometimes more) and level it as my primary (SF, SS, SF, Wither, SF, Ult, SF, SS, SS, etc) WITHOUT any non-rune mana regen (only increases to my mana pool ie Sheen).

leonhart83

02-08-2010

I have just recently started playing as nasus and have done quite a bit of experimenting in this time. I used to go Saphire + 1 Hpot + 1 Mpot. Get SF and spam each wave whilst trying to build SS with last hits. Although this is a good starting item, against quite a few champs (especially the ones who play aggressively) you do take quite a bit of damage from ranged attacks and abilities. I find that in this case you are on the back foot for quite a while and do tend to die.

I have had a couple of games lately with starting with Doran Shield + 1 Mpot and getting SS first instead of SF and just conserving mana and picking last kills. This has worked wonders with the survivabililty as the Health Regen and Armour really help early whilst all champs are doing minimal damage. I know that it delays sheen and boots but I believe it is the better start. Once level 2 get SF and start farming and last hitting.

Here is my latest build that I have been having luck with.

1. Doran's Shield + 1x Mpot
2. Saphire Stone + 2x Mpot (first visit)
3. AP Book ->Sheen (second visit)
4. Boots of Swiftness (second visit in some cases)
5. Vampiric Scepter
6. Zeal -> Phage -> Trinity Force
7. Starks
8. Aegis
9. Frozen Heart

I run Cleanse (so I can run Swiftness almost exclusively) and Teleport. I use Teleport for shopping so I don't leave the lane for long at the start to maximise lane control. Mid-Late game I use my Teleport along with Swiftness boots to have total map control making sure that the creeps are all in their half of the map. This is also a great time to farm up your SS. I find that Nasus mid-late game can also survive most ganks 2-3 with Cleanse & Swiftness to run to safety or run and setup a counter-gank with the Ulti.

I agree that Solo is not always the best option for Nasus. I like the thought that if mid is playing well by another champ I can rely on there being another High Damage champ on your team. So that late game you can come out of nowhere and destroy champs.

One of my favourite things about Nasus is that you can go from 2/0/2 to 10/0/5 in 5 minutes and have destroyed all their towers and inhibitors all because you were on the low for most of the game and they weren't expecting it.

Long story short. I think that the Doran's Shield is definitely the item to try to keep things on topic.

Micky.

Kriptini

02-08-2010

I just played a side lane game with Nasus... possibly the worst experience I've ever had. =P

I've developed a strategy that works sometimes. When I'm in mid, I'll "play the turrets," or rather, let the enemy push to my turret, and then I can start wailing on him without repercussions 'cause if he hits me, the turret gets him and then I can Wither him. >=)

I don't usually have a problem with mana when soloing mid because I get the golem so early, my main problem is usually survivability. Most of the time, if I try to joust in and hit wiht SS, that enemy champ is gonna blast me. I haven't tried a Teleport + Exhaust combo, I'll try it out next game. I'm only level 13, by the way.

My usual starting item combo is:

1. Saphire Crystal + Health Pot + Mana Pot
2. Sheen (if I'm doing well) or Vampiric Scepter (if I'm not)
3. Vampiric Scepter (if I didn't get it before) or Boots of Swiftness (if I did)
4. Sheen (if I don't have it yet) or Mercury Treads (if I didn't have the boots)
5. Whatever I'm missing from the above four.

I'll give Doran's Shield a go.

Maleagant

02-08-2010

Ahhh yeah until you get a full rune book its hard to really completely maximize your item selection, as far as items go Meki's and a health pot to Philo for its all around goodness + the obligitory 1 5g/10 item I work with(chalice is weak as it is designed to increase other sources of mana regen yes it has some but thats not what it was made to do, btw after getting mana regen runes I suggest switching to the tanking 5g/10 item). Mana pots are rather expensive to get 1 or 2 extra casts out of them, I'd try to avoid them........ Maybe I'll try to find this thread tomorrow and give ya a bit more advice, but its late and I need to sleep.

Flapjacks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2010

Against opponents you're not doing well against, they are going to continue harassing you making the scepter not really the best option imo. Also, philosopher's stone is wack.

Edit: just to be clear, I am replying to two different people there :-)