CDR v MPen Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cambix

02-07-2010

I'm looking to get a sheet of T3 caster runes and I'm not sure what to go with.

I play Kassadin mostly and Ryze/Annie sometimes.

I thought maybe AP runes as well though I'm torn between flat and scaling.

Right now I'm just using a sheet of T1 flat AP runes.

junster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2010

magic pen for reds,
cdr for blues..

quints can be either.

cambix

02-07-2010

Hm straight page or mixed page?

systran

02-08-2010

I'd go flat on magic pen and scaling on cooldown reduction; you don't need cooldown reduction that much at lower levels due to mana constraints and due to how people tend to run back after getting nuked early game. Also consider that early game you pretty much just have null sphere that is cooldown reliant, as you won't be dealing with forcepulse cooldown until later. Later game the cd reduction makes more of a difference and you'll be glad you got scaling.

For magic pen, it's impossible to buy any magic pen items until sorcerer's shoes at the earliest; you'll do a lot more damage early on with flat magic pen. If you get flat magic pen on reds and quints it's 14 magic pen at level 1 (plus 15% you probably have from archaic knowledge), which will give you more damage at lower levels than flat AP would; arbitrarily say that at some point they are taking 25% more damage from your runes and archaic knowledge, 25% of 200 damage is more than they ****ty damage you'd get from like 30-40 AP (especially considering the ratios).

Especially as Kassadin who is generally very weak early game, you want to make your rune advantage work for you early game so you don't fall behind. You start doing well mid game, at which point gold from doing well can take up slack from having flat runes instead of scaling.

Whatever you get for the yellow runes, get that as flat also, either max HP/MP or HP/MP regen. That way you've got a significant boost to kass's generally ****ty early game.

zzSleeper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2010

Magic pen almost always gives you better return than AP if their MR > 0. Get pen for burst dps, cdr for sustained dps. Burst is usually better (wins fights). I would recommend full magic pen for red/blue, flat hp quints, and whatever you want for yellows (mp5pl?).