The honest rough guide to Udyr. More tips wanted!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brussel Sprout

02-07-2010

I've found a lot of Udyr guides to be a bit lacking, although they're useful for starting out, once you're in the higher levels, you'll have some trouble.
So here's my honest rough guide.

Jungling

Phoenix is far, far better for jungling and farming than Tiger. Against good opponents you WILL need that gold.

In higher level games it'll be very, very hard to get a chance to go exclusive jungle, generally you want to be in a lane close to golem, wolves, and the 4 wraiths/ghosty things so you can quickly run to them, get the gold and exp then go back to a lane. Play conservatively and try hard not to die early, if you can get a reasonable amount of gold early/mid, you will be a force to reckon with and will pretty much run amok, if you're starved early, then late game you will have trouble doing significant damage. You will have trouble killing or doing decent damage to champs early in the first few levels. At the same time sometimes with a good ally you can obliterate them early, it all depends on the champ matchups.

Skills

Because I don't jungle straight away I get Bear and Turtle first, I like Bear first, but it's up to you.

Get Phoenix as soon as you can afford to and build it up. It's a must for effective farming/jungling and chasing champs. Aoe damage, ability power and attack damage boost, 3rd strike aoe damage, its about the perfect all round damage skill.

Tiger is for late game to rip through towers like there's no tomorrow or an initial hit on champs after your bear stun.

You WILL use Turtle more than you think in ganks/1v2s/team fights/pretty much anything so level it up quickly too.

I normally level up Phoenix and Turtle fairly even with the odd bear bonus to increase that closing/chasing speed. Use your head and add points depending on the situation.

After your initial bear stun when fighting another champ, don't be afraid to go turtle straight after, chances are after the initial stun they will use their skills against you straight away. Phoenix is your big damage, you'll be doing plenty of physical AND magical damage to them so they will have to get both physical and magical resist to combat you effectively.

Items

Get a mana gem and two health pots for starters.You need the mana to even have a chance of switching stances effectively early game. And you will need the pots for the hassling you will cop when laning. Chances are, they will target you so much you will need the health pots in the first few levels. It's only 70 gold anyway and 400 hp for 70 gold can't be bad.

Next go for ninja tabi boots or mercury treads, depending on the situation. The armor and +10% dodge chance will help you survive, you should be getting decent speed increase from switching stances by now anyway.

Get both Sheen & Zeal next. Your choice on priority. Build to either a Trinity Force and/or Phantom Dancer. Sheen will give you a decent damage boost when switching stances without going for the phage, which, imho isn't really that useful for Udyr, your bear will give you enough speed to catch almost all champs and phoenix will hurt them when you're running after them even if you're not hitting them.

Your choice on priority on the trin/phantom, the dodge on Phantom Dancer will bring your total dodge up to almost +30% and your crit chance will be about 50%. If you're having trouble with magic resist and debuffs, throw in a quicksilver sash anywhere there. I don't mind getting it before trin is completed even. After that, use your head and go for any item that fits the situation.

My thoughts on some of the other items for late game:

Banshee's veil is a waste for the money imho. You don't need mana late game and a quicksilver sash helps out with debuffs AND magic resist and is cheap to boot.

Rylai's sceptre a good all round item for a health boost. Your flames on phoenix will give an aoe slow, health boost and ability power to help with Phoenix and Turtle effectiveness. I prefer Rylai's sceptre to Frozen Hammer because you will already be moving faster than everyone else and you will be switching stances so much when engaging the enemy the sceptre will be slowing them down almost all the time.

Mejai's soulstealer is also a possibility if you feel like risking it for some ap boost if you are running amok but everyone else in your team is failing miserably.

Malady can never hurt but I prefer to get something like Sword of the Divine to get some armor penetration, it'll also do more damage with so much attack speed increase from your other items and switch stancing that the extra 100 magic damage should hurt quite a bit. Last Whisper is not bad for armor penetration, damage and attack speed either.

Armor and magic resist like on Guardian Angel can't hurt either. And something like Cleaver, Inifinity edge etc. Any +damage item is never going to hurt, because you will be critting a lot.

Tanking with Turtle Items

If you want to tank it up with Udyr and spam your Turtle excessively during teamfights, go for a Warmog's to increase your longevity immensely, if you can farm a few minions with Phoenix you should be able to charge it up in no time. Leviathon could also be a possibility if you're getting plenty of kills and assists, the damage reduction of 15% fully charged is significant.

Summoner Skills

Smite will help you jungle early, but its useless in champ fights. Cleanse is as close to a necessity as you can get for Udyr as you WILL be targeted first in team fights. Flash is VERY useful too, good for kills mid/late and as an escape mechanism. Or if you prefer to go more aggressive, go for Exhaust, to maybe get some early champ kills. One of cleanse or flash is pretty much necessary because you will ALWAYS be the first to be stunned in a teamfight.

Runes

Evasion to increase dodge, magic resist to improve survivability early and some more attack speed. +crit damage runes won't hurt either seeing you'll be doing so much critical damage mid/late. Quints of evasion give a +1.5% bonus to dodge too. I think cooldown reduction is a waste on Udyr as once your skills are leveled up sufficiently you will be changing stances crazy fast anyway.

Last words

I've played well over 100 games with Udyr and currently I'm finding this kind of build to be very effective with a decent early game. It's still hard as hell laning against good damage ranged champs tho'. The expensive cost of stances early game sets you back, even if you're using turtle effectively to soak up their abilities and spells.

If you have a decent early game, you WILL be able to overpower pretty much anyone in the game in mid to late stages of the game. But that's exactly why the opposing team will target you so badly early game. More often than not, you'll own everyone unless you've been starved of gold. If you get a few easy kills it's not that hard to run rampant. I've won a few 4v5s exclusively because they didn't shut me down early, once you've got the items, you'll tear through them in no time.

Anybody wants to add any tips/criticisms etc. feel free, I'm always trying out new things and sometimes failing miserably with experimental builds. Despite being serious sometimes, I realize its just a game, you've got to have some fun playing it or there's no point.

sainthero

02-07-2010

I play jungle udyr for quite alot of games already. I only get turtle to level 1 and get phoenix and bear first. Once I get sheen and merc treads, i can gank with relative ease and jungle at a faster rate. I prefer merc treads in every game because with the nurf to his movespeed, I don't want crowd controls to last any longer. Even with the mana sheen gives, Udyr is very dependent on the golem buff because of the CDR and mana regen. Once I get tri force and Madred's, I can pretty much own 2-3 guys at once given, i have the golem buff. And one last thing, Udyr goes best with a team with alot of CC.

Brussel Sprout

02-08-2010

Sounds good, I'll have to give the madred's after trin a try.

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussel Sprout View Post
I've found a lot of Udyr guides to be a bit lacking, although they're useful for starting out, once you're in the higher levels, you'll have some trouble.
So here's my honest rough guide.
Lacking in the sense that they aren't exactly what he uses and then claims they're no good at "higher levels" with no substance. False advertise much? This person just spams their guide in everyone elses for the attention.

Tenmar

02-17-2010

Good advice about the suggestion to go from jungle creeps to lane creeps. I always see a player level faster than if they commit to just the jungle or just the lane(player kills aside of course). Very often when I mix up the two along with setting up to gank players it helps the team to not only level but push.

jedininjaman

02-18-2010

booooo.
Worthiest point in this guide was that you can't Jungle Udyr in high ELO games. This guide will not help your Attack Speed nearly as much as you need it, I main Udyr and at the moment i am too selfish to divulge my build. I like your lane strategy but you will lack power when it comes to doing damage in team fights.