[GUIDE] Ryze at Mid-ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apokalupsis

05-15-2010

It is per second.

Apokalupsis

05-15-2010

The next 2 games I played didn't go so well. Ryze has NO dmg output early to mid game. It is defintely a late game build...which means that the team you are on...has to be moderately good. If they aren't...then this build is 100% useless. It is VERY, VERY team reliant (I think someone made that observation earlier on).

It's a tough build to play in a pug. We'll see though.

seresibyl

05-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
The next 2 games I played didn't go so well. Ryze has NO dmg output early to mid game. It is defintely a late game build...which means that the team you are on...has to be moderately good. If they aren't...then this build is 100% useless. It is VERY, VERY team reliant (I think someone made that observation earlier on).

It's a tough build to play in a pug. We'll see though.
Get Blue pots to cover your early game!

Martinat

06-23-2010

I want to thank you for your build, as it is how i've been playing ryze for the past few months. It makes him extremely powerful. I don't win every game. Who does? But when i lose i know its usually my mistake and i never go down easy. I want to share some things i do differently that i think really help. None of them really go against what you suggest but are good to consider. This is my first post, and i feel i owe the guide owner this.

1) Get all 3 skills as early as possible, then level up rune prison. At level 3, with 3 damaging spells there is a good chance you and your lane partner can down someone. After that it just gets better.

2) Runes go magic pen red, AP scaling for yellow and blue, and Speed quints. Speed quints and the movement masteries are actually really nice since ryze is so slow. Early game you can outrun anyone not specced for speed (who is at level 1?) which means you're really good at lane harassing. The second you move in to cast a spell flux, they will start to move away... but because everyone is keeping tight to the creeps to last hit you'll close range because you're moving just a bit faster so you can catch them.

Late game, it still helps to have the move quints because you can run merc treads and have the speed of quickness boots. This way you keep up with your teammates on the move and most importantly are NOT the slowest one when running away. Remember, you don't always have to be faster than everyone to get away. Sometimes being faster than the slowest guy is enough. Ghost won't always be up.

3) Item build is solid, but i always go rylais there is no question. Ideally you'd want golem and blue pot to keep 35% CDR on top of the 6% from masteries, but usually teammates get golem and blue pot doesn't always last long enough for you.

Another thing to remember... be used to people *****ing you have no damage output because you can't kill their tank or caster with rod in one volley. As far as im concerned, i don't care if i kill in one volley as long as i shoot at someone (who's not a tank) and i get away to volley again. If our dps has to finish off their extra 200 hp i don't get the kill but whatever, he does and it's a team game. If they feed early you're golden. If they don't... what else would you have done? Not get boots or catalyst to rush zhonyas, then get focused down before you cast anything? Pure AP ryze with ignite will always go down to this guy because he can handle a team fight.

Boldizar

06-26-2010

First, I'd like to compliment the guide. The Strength of Spirit tip is, as others have said, a good one, and something I doubt I would have picked up on my own. I like the rune build, and feel the survivability items have their use even after the beef patch, especially on TT where Ryze can dominate mid-game with nothing more than Sorc Boots. Annie used to be my nuker of choice, but after a demoralizing bad beat (turns out an incredibly dominant first 20 minutes can go to waste when two of your teammates decide to DC "for food"), I gave Ryze a shot and, with some tips from this guide, have had a very positive experience so far, but I also have a couple points that I think are worth further discussion.

-

The 0/7/23 build has a lot of advantages, but it misses out on Archaic Knowledge from offense. How costly is that? Someone else in this topic said AK is around a 15% damage boost- this isn't true. For most casters they get around a 6% increase in their damage against a low-50s MR target from Archaic Knowledge before MPen, but in Ryze's case the flat reduction from Spell Flux applies before the % reduction from AK, making the latter less marginally beneficial.

So, let's look at a common scenario with AK: It's mid-game, and you're ganking a hero with 30 base MR plus Merc Treads, but no defensive runes or masteries, or other buffs, for 55 MR. You have Sorc Boots. You pop your ult, hit them with Prison and follow with Spell Flux. On the first couple Prison ticks and first Flux bounce, they have 55 MR, which AK reduces to about 147, which becomes 127 after Sorc Boots. Your first wave of abilities will hit for around 78.9% of the listed value. Without AK, your target would keep 135 MR, and your abilities would hit for 74.1% of the listed value. So, AK reduces the enemy's reduction by 4.8%, which in this case means you deal about 6.4% more damage than you would have without AK on the first bounce of Flux and first ticks of Prison.

However, on the second Spell Flux bounce the target has the debuff and only 40 MR. The difference of AK here is 6 MRes, or 87.7% vs 83.3% base damage dealt. which translates to about 5.3% more damage.

To review, following a standard R-W-E-Q sequence on a 55 MR target (and Sorc Boots), AK makes for somewhere between 5% and 6% more damage on all your abilities. If the target has less MR, whether it's early in the game or they haven't bought any defensive items, AK will be less useful, and it will make no difference at all if your flat MPen is more than their MR. The above scenario is pretty conservative, however. Plenty of players will stack MR if they see an opposing Ryze, so even though you might buy more MPen items AK will usually become more valuable as the game goes on. Even against heroes who go pure offense, if there's a Soraka or Aegis on the other team AK still helps.

Strength of Spirit is great for laning, but even on Ryze AK gives a lot more power late-game. In terms of money, SoS might account for about a Regrowth Pendant's worth of regen by the time you stop laning and start teamfighting. An Amplifying Tome will cost about the same amount of money, but AK will be worth much more damage over the course of the game. In terms of cost efficiency, 9/0/21 provides more bang for your buck than 0/7/23. It would be great to grab both, but the top tiers of utility are too good to pass up in something like 9/7/14. An alternative might be 9/21/0, allowing some skimping on survivability items and with Nimbleness complementing the dodge runes to replace Quickness, but you still miss out on the CDR, the mana regen, and the huge benefits to Ghost and Flash.

-

One other thing: I'm not sure I support the logic behind leveling Spell Flux over Overload. I definitely agree with Rune Prison first, but the author's reasons for prioritizing Spell Flux after that don't follow. Someone asked the author on the second page about it, and he explained that Spell Flux is better because it does about as much damage as Overload base, and has better AP ratios.

The thing is, while Overload's mana bonus is the same at all levels, the same is true of the better AP ratio of Spell Flux. The number of bounces, MR reduction, and damage from AP is the same at levels 1 through 5. An extra level of Flux adds 15 damage per bounce, and nothing else beneficial. True, over three bounces that is 5 base damage more than the 40 Overload gains per level, but that's a pretty negligible bonus, and is balanced in part by Flux costing 20 more mana per level while Overload only costs 15. I understand if someone prefers to keep Overload at 1 for last-hitting, since it does more damage for a single hit, but at level 1 Flux only costs 10 more mana in exchange for a 2 second lower cooldown and 100 more range.

One good argument in support of Flux is that you don't want to be using it for last hitting in case you get rushed while it's on cooldown. That may be true, but if you're maxing Rune Prison first you won't take your second level in either Overload or Flux until level 8, and by that point you can support the extra 15 mana if you really need to be last-hitting with Overload. Meanwhile, having a 7 second cooldown instead of an 11 second one can mean one more Overload per team fight, which snowballs with all your skills thanks to Ryze's passive.

An extra four levels in Spell Flux will do a decent bit more damage than an extra four levels in Overload if you're fighting multiple enemy champs away from creeps, but I'm still leaning towards the lower cooldown on Overload being the best upgrade to either of the two skills.

-

Edit: Fixed some mistakes in the AK section. Also, having played with Overload leveled over Flux for a day or two, I really think it's the way to go. A big advantage is that, at level 5, Overload's cooldown is lower than the duration of your ult. The bonus from the ult, at least the AoE component, seems to work only if the buff is still on when the projectile hits the target, whether or not you had it when it was cast. To do the absolute most damage in 8 seconds, cast Overload, ult while the orb is in flight, then Prison, Flux, and Overload again. This also means you get even more benefit from Overload's increased damage.

In fact, you don't even need Overload at level 5 to do this. It works at level two even with no CDR thanks to Ryze's passive. Casting Overload first followed by his other three skills shaves three seconds off, taking the 10 second cooldown to 7 seconds, enough to slip it in before the ult wears off if you're quick. Of course, your target won't always be so kind as to stand in one place for all of this, so it's risky as you do less damage with your first four spells. Still, given Ryze's passive the lower cooldowns on all your spells will be worth more than 15 damage on Spell Flux.

Preoria0312

09-10-2010

wouldnt it be good if you add an archangels staff?

Zidaryn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

I've been playing Ryze for a bit and am currently lvl 26.
Was doing ok/ not so great with Ryze.
Followed your guide and so far I've had two AMAZING games.
They were a bit long but amazing. My latest one I went 11, 2, and 22.
I've gotta experiment with flash a bit more, but WOW!!
xD xD xD