Noobie questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pwnage2own

03-09-2011

1. What does 'ban champions' mean? On this competition site it says:
Ban mode: 1-2-2-1 ( Each Team bans 3 champions )
Explain plz?

2. What does a 'higher seeded team' mean??

3. Would it help to play competitive until I reach level 20? (lvl 10 right now)

Sychar

03-09-2011

banning champs is in Competitive Ranked game play. Don't play competitive until you have a wide variety of champions, or until you can play at least one champion in each of these roles> Support/Tank/DPS and AP champions. Don't play ranked until you have a separate runepage for EACH of those roles. Never play "Solo Ranked". Always play with trustworthy friends who you know are decent at the game and you know will never leave in the middle of a game.

Last Warlord

03-09-2011

don't laugh at me i've been lvl 30 for months but... what does CC mean?

ManaBurnSEAL

Master Recruiter

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Warlord View Post
don't laugh at me i've been lvl 30 for months but... what does CC mean?
Cush Critter

Pentarctagon

03-09-2011

Crowd Control

stuns/taunts/etc

Last Warlord

03-09-2011

thank you, i'm an idiot

WalkingOnWater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Warlord View Post
thank you, i'm an idiot
I've been playing LoL for half a year and I just started last hitting... a month ago? Yeah a month ago.

rpcarpentergirl

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnage2own View Post
1. What does 'ban champions' mean? On this competition site it says:
Ban mode: 1-2-2-1 ( Each Team bans 3 champions )
Explain plz?

2. What does a 'higher seeded team' mean??

3. Would it help to play competitive until I reach level 20? (lvl 10 right now)
The bans are for ranked games (that you unlock at level 30). Prior to the game 4 champions are removed from play. Team one will get one ban and then it switches to the next team who bans two champions, and switches back to team one who bans the fourth and final champion. Then you swap to team two who will get to pick a champion first and back and forth until each team has picked their champions (Draft Mode).

Your second question refers to team ranking meaning that one team had an overall higher rating than the other. Similar to a basketball tournament where you see a higher ranked team playing a lower ranked team.

As far as competitive play (my opinion) would be to just have fun right now and find the champions that fit you (although it is true that it is beneficial to have at least one of every champion type that you know how to play). There's plenty of time to stop having fun with this game when you get really serious about playing ranked later on so have fun with it as much as you can now.

Talisid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2011

Draft mode ranked goes like this - A player on one team picks one champion to ban (no player may pick that champion for this match). Then a player on the other team bans 2 champions. Then the first team gets one more ban. (1-2-1 bans, competitive events often ban 6 instead of 4, so they ban in a 1-2-2-1 format)

The team who didn't get to ban first gets to pick first, their first player picks one champion. Then team 2 picks 2 champions, team 1 picks 2 champions, team 2 picks 2, then finally team 1 picks their last 1 champion. (This is a 1-2-2-2-2-1 format.)

At a competitive event, teams are sometimes 'seeded' based on their prior performance. This means that lower-seeded teams are matched against higher seeded teams. This helps ensure the teams most likely to win an event do not play against each other until late in the tournament. This improves viewer ratings and makes the tournament more exciting. No one wants the second best team to be eliminated by the best team in the first match, so that the rest of the tournament is essentially decided in the first round.

ShrikeTheAvatar

03-09-2011

There should be a 'noob question' thread where people can go and ask these types of questions without judgment.