Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Swain AP vs Swain Tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knote

03-09-2011

Tank Swain is pro, you soak up dmg and rape the enemy carry. <3

Saint Kaizz

03-09-2011

Quote:
vivoche:
Swain is, by his very nature, a tanky mage. By building a few core items such as RoA, Rylai's and SV, you have all the tankiness you will ever need. You do enough damage to be considered a threat, and your AOE root is your bread and butter in teamfights.

What I see from new people trying him this week is a failure of game style rather than build order. They try to play him like an Annie or Ryze...and fail utterly. Swain isn't the kind of champ that melts someone. He has decent burst certainly, but his game is one of attrition. You take a few shots, give a few back yourself, dance back and forth in the lane until your target is ripe for the picking. Then you land a nevermove and E-Q-Ignite-R your opponent. The rest of the team descends, but can't seem to kill you, giving *your* team opportunity to push the overextended foe.

YES! THAT'S HOW YOU ****ING PLAY SWAIN!!! Yes, you can probably burst the **** out of a squishy and land a kill ina a full combo, but he's a strategy champion man... poke, heal, poke, heal, poke-STAB!!!!! And you do so in a giant bird form

Grandmiral

03-09-2011

Quote:
Gundaime Kai:
YES! THAT'S HOW YOU ****ING PLAY SWAIN!!!

This

Is Swain free week done yet?

Saint Kaizz

03-09-2011

No, sadly it's not -_-
Seriously, this is the third week in a row that one of my 3 favorite champions has been free. First it was Malzahar... then Kassadin... then Swain... ugh

ClownPen

03-09-2011

I build off-tank mage Swain, mostly investing in tanky mage items like Rylai's, RoA, Abyssal, and what not. Spirit Visage has been hit several times in the past few patches, though.

Hedgepig

03-09-2011

I have pretty good luck with Dorans Ring x2 or 3-> RoA, RoA, RoA, Banshees, AA.
Yes, its not necessarily the best, but you get a lot of hp, a lot of mana, and a lot of AP, which is what Swain needs.

That said, I think any build that uses the following items is viable on Swain. What you should not get is most straight AP items:

RoA,
Rylais,
Banshees,
Frozen Heart,
SV,
Zhonyas,
Sunfire,
Abyssal.

If you get too many of the non-mana items, you'll need some sort of mana pool items or constant golem buff.

Grandmiral

03-10-2011

I just saw a Swain stacking warmogs....

EvilShadow777

03-10-2011

No one knows how to play Swain and it disappoints me. I really wish someone would take my advice once in a while. He's not that complex of a character to use, you just have to understand his playstyle.

I want this free week to end. :C

Fatwa

03-10-2011

Quote:
vivoche:
Swain is, by his very nature, a tanky mage. By building a few core items such as RoA, Rylai's and SV, you have all the tankiness you will ever need. You do enough damage to be considered a threat, and your AOE root is your bread and butter in teamfights.

What I see from new people trying him this week is a failure of game style rather than build order. They try to play him like an Annie or Ryze...and fail utterly. Swain isn't the kind of champ that melts someone. He has decent burst certainly, but his game is one of attrition. You take a few shots, give a few back yourself, dance back and forth in the lane until your target is ripe for the picking. Then you land a nevermove and E-Q-Ignite-R your opponent. The rest of the team descends, but can't seem to kill you, giving *your* team opportunity to push the overextended foe.

I thoroughly enjoy melee champs, and I really enjoy Udyr. What drew me to Swain is that I view him like an AP version of Udyr. He's got a slow, damage DoT, root, and can heal himself. While not a hard carry, there are definitely games where you can snowball ahead of the curve and end up dominating, but it's generally rough to kill you, and if they're focusing you - your team should be killing them.

Lord Zaxer

03-10-2011

I always get RoA first.. But from there, Rabadons, Deathfire or Zhonias