[Guide] Pantheon - The Glass Warrior

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deception

02-06-2010

First off if you are interested in playing Pantheon as a ganker or a tank then stop reading this guide. Pantheon is my eyes and in some of the better ones I have played have known him to be more of a hit and run character. He is heavily reliant on team play that most champions due to his very squishy nature, even in building him heavy health, you will almost always get blown up in a team fight if you are targeting first.

Pantheons Abilities:

[Passive] Aegis Protection: After attacking or casting 4 spells, Pantheon will block the next normal attack that deals more than 40 damage to him. (This ability can really make or break a successful tower dive on someone you really want dead)

[Q] Spear Shot: Pantheon hurls his spear at an opponent. (This should be you're main harass move and finisher on a running opponent.)

[W] Aegis of Zeonia: Pantheon leaps at an enemy and bashes the enemy with his shield, stunning them. After finishing the attack, Pantheon readies himself to block the next attack. (This ability isn't so wonderful, but allows for a swift stun if needed for escape or initiation, it lacks damage and should never be used as a way to jump head first sparta style into a large team and expect a good result. This ability should be used only when Heartstriker is up to get max damage on your opponent before they feel)

[E] Heartseeker Strike: Pantheon focuses and unleashes 5 swift strikes to the area infront of him, dealing double damage to champions. Pantheon also becomes more aware of his enemy's vital spots, allowing him to always crit enemies below 15% health.
(This is Pantheons best skill and can only be used on a stationary target. Exhaust works wonders with this skill)

[R] Grand Sky fall: Pantheon composes himself then leaps into the air to a target, striking all enemy units in an area. Enemies closer to the impact point take more damage. (First and foremost this ability should NOT be used to gank, and should NOT be used to jump into a five man team while your team is trying to catch up, I have found the best uses for this ability is to deny a two man group from Backdooring a tower, defense on a tower with teammates, killing a large number of creeps pushing a tower, and during the heat of a teamfight if for some godawful reason you aren't with your team and they need you.)

Masteries
I have tried both Offensive, Defensive, and Utility on this character. In my experiences with all trees, I have had my best games as Utility and I'll explain why.

21/9/0 You hit harder but overall you cooldowns are much longer and it forces you into buying a brutalizer instead of better early game items.

9/21/0 This just makes you pretty worthless, you do no damage, your spells are on high cooldowns, and you don't notice really any more durability except from levels 1-5.

9-0-21 My favorite so fast due to the ability to spam you're spear early game, and have much lower cooldowns then earlier stated.

Runes:
Red:Armor Pen
Blue: Cooldown Reduction
Yellow: (currently working on my flat health runes and experimenting with dodge runes)
Quints:Flat Health Runes

Summoner Abilities:
Ghost
Exhaust

No exception in my eyes, ghost is a great way to help your team catch up to a straggler in a lane, or someone about to die so you can plant an aegis on their heads. Exhaust is also perfect to pop right before an aegis to land a sexy heartseeker to ravage your opponent

Skill Order:
1) Spear
2) Aegis
3) Heartseeker
4) Spear
5) Heartseeker
6) Grand Sky Fall
7) Heartseeker
8) Heartseeker
9) Heartseeker
10) Spear
11) Grand Sky Fall
12) Spear
13) Spear
14) Aegis
15) Aegis
16) Grand Sky Fall
17) Aegis
18) Aegis

Item Build:
Vampiric Scepter
BF Sword
Boots 1
Bloodthirster
Berserker Boots (or treads, some people just like treads, however it's your personal prefrence)
Giant Belt
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
Madreds(or last whisper if you don't wanna blow that much gold)

Early Game:
Make sure that you have a lane partner that can actually help Pantheon do well, IE any character with a decent stun, Alli, Morg, Annie, Veigar, Poppy, ect. These characters will allow you to harass with your spear and also land crucial heartseaker strikes for an early kill. Whatever you do do NOT blow your money on anything until you get that BF sword. Also this is where Panth is strong and can really do decent damage to low health players, so try you're very best to get first blood without dying.

Mid Game:
This is a nightmare for Pantheon because unless your doing well you're items won't be doing much for you against other heros and you're also quite squishy until you get you're giants belt. Always always make sure you have your're lane partner or the team with you at this point in the game. Make sure that you don't initiate in a team fight and always remember to have your summoner abilities up if you think there is even a small chance of death.

Late Game:
At this point you should be an absolute monster, you will be doing insane damage, and able to pretty much jack any kill from your teammates on accident. Although you will still ALWAYS be squishy and thats how this champion plays, so make sure someone else initiates and you go for the lowest target

Well any comments and suggestions would be helpful.

One love yo.

Navroth

02-06-2010

Nice guide, gonna try it out.

One love.

Skyllus

02-06-2010

Not bad. I prefer to stack Longswords early on though instead of waiting for BF Sword. Pantheon is too strong early/mid game to be waiting on items. 4 Longswords = 1660 Gold, 1 BF Sword = 1850, and you get them much earlier for a consistent damage boost.

If you have 1850 at level 6 when you should go back, then by all means

Unhandled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2010

I am similar but still different.

Masteries
10-9-11: Get Sunder to 2 in Offensive (w/Cripple), Mender's Faith & Nimbleness in Defense, and Meditation, Awareness, and Perseverance in Utility.

Runes:
Red: Armor Pen
Blue: Crit Dmg
Yellow: Dodge
Quints: Whatever you feel like (Crit Chance or more Armor Pen doesn't hurt)

Summoner Abilities:
Exhaust (w/Cripple)
Heal (w/Mender's Faith)

Skill Order:
Same as above

Item Build:
Boots 1 & 3 Health Pots
Phage or Ninja Tabi
Lifesteal or Phage
Stark's (or Executioner's Calling if they have the following champs: Soraka, Mundo, & Alistar)
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge

You should be spamming Q early game and you should be between them and their creep if they are not lane pushers, denying them experience. You'd be surprised at just how easy this is to do with spear, armor penetration and boots early game against most champions.

IE is so horribly overrated and is for end game only. The above poster says midgame is rough on Pantheon. I disagree. With my build above, once you get Ninja Tabi and Phage you should be dominating mid-game. Dodge, armor penetration, Phage's chance to slow, and lifesteal/Stark's are going to let you make their tanks and creep a non-issue and the more I play the more I have come to realize just how imperative tanks are for 5v5. You are a great tank harasser but finish on DPS and casters just fine. Sure you are squishy, but honestly, isn't everyone squishy except for tanks in this game? The question is if you can deal more damage than they can or are they afraid of you.

With Pantheon's 1 sec stun only, it's not very scary, unless you're the guy hit by it and your team is retreating (which is often the case). Pantheon is the anti-initiator in any team fight because he has a semi-spammable stun. Whoever comes in becomes the target and whoever is too slow during a retreat is fresh meat. You're always going to have that 10% movement speed buff from the creep in the lane, which means you stun retreating players on the enemy team.

A good Singed is going to be your toughest non-stun opponent because he can just run from you and poison while he's doing it or worse, flip you into his team. I almost never see a good Blitz anymore, I don't know if it is because I'm just not high enough ELO or not but I imagine that a good Blitz would be a tough lane opponent as well for the same reason.

Fbsunny

02-06-2010

Unhandled, the problem I have with your build is that it gives almost no damage. Pantheon's skill are what makes him great at harassing and killing opponents. I tried to build lots of AS and Damage when I started playing Panth, but found that unless it was 1v1 fight that I wasn't getting in nearly enough auto attacks for this to be worth while, and my skills did little damage.

My build is
boots 1, 2hp pots and a mana pot
BF sword-> Bloodthirster
Bf Sword
Then it depends on if I need more health because all the fights are 5v5 already, or if I should get more damage because they aren't focusing me much.
Frozen Mallet and IE are both likely options at this point. Also upgrade boots to berserkers either after first bf sword or after bloodthirster.

Edit: BTW do you prefer flat or @18 cd reduction runes for Pantheon?

Siky

02-06-2010

I wouldn't do 21 in Offensive Mastery. Nobody does enough damage for Offensive Mastery to be worth it. You're getting 5% Boost in damage with it, that's 5 damage every 100... really? You could put those points elsewhere that would be of better use. Honestly I like just doing either 11/0/19 or 9/0/21. I don't feel like the Offensive Mastery is really worth it. The damage boost isn't enough and you don't crit enough for the extra Crit Damage to matter. I like focusing on C/D masteries and some C/D runes to be more valuable.

Unhandled

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2010

That's a reasonable complaint with my build. I guess one reason why I don't care about stacking damage early on is because of his ability that crits if they get under 15% health. It's not hard to get through the first 85% of their health till end of mid and start of late game. Just don't go in and blow all your cooldowns expecting a kill all the time and the build should work just fine.

Attack damage IS going to help with your ult, but till they fix the ult there is really no reason why you should be EXPECTING to hit with it. That's why I don't see Attack DMG as necessary. It's like your building your character in anticipation of going up against dumb players (which you almost certainly won't be dealing with).

That said, I have bought BF Sword before Phage before. When I was fed twice early game and had the money. Phage provides enough attack damage and the means to deliver it early-mid game. That can be a huge blow to an opposing team planning on late game domination (which you'll still have with Frozen Mallet).

EDIT:
I don't do cooldown reduction runes or items. I only use his ult to clean waves of creeps and occasionally to get to the fight. I'm conservative with it. That might change if they fix it to be good, but right now I don't use it to initiate unless I know my team is going to push.

I usually lane with a gangplank, however, so I have the advantage of him slowing the enemy's retreat and my ult is right behind his ult when he throws it. If you use Pantheon's ult like Twisted Fate's Gate, you're going to be clearing creep so it's levels anyway.

Skyllus

02-06-2010

Telling you guys, just stack up on any kind of attack damage you can afford any time you go back to the base Fit boots somewhere in there and watch how fast you can drop people.

Just buy Iron Swords, upgrade to a Brutalizer, Upgrade another for Vampiric Scepter, Buy BF Sword whenever you can afford one, keep all your inventory slots full of some kind of sword at all times, then upgrade+sell.

Attack speed/Crit Rate isn't too important when you should be able to get just about anyone below 15% HP with Ult+Stun+Heartseeker+Spear combo. Then you just get one hit in and your crit will 90% of the time kill them. After you get the 1 kill, sit on the edge of the battle and wait on cooldowns and see if you can help your team jump someone with Stun+Heartseeker+Spear combo.

Pantheon is best Early+Mid Game, Late game he isn't quite as good as some of the other DPS Carry's but can still help in team battles by taking one person out or putting people low.

---------------------------

Last few games with this build:

13/0/2
8/6/3 (was 7/2/2 before someone quit on our team and we got ran over)
19/2/4
17/3/5

75% of my kills come before I hit level 13.

Siky

02-06-2010

What's wrong with his Ult? I think it's great. Flash spam when you're about to drop to move land somewhere else instead of the center. No clue about this, but I think the damage epicenter moves too, but even if it doesn't, the impact slows people and you can catch many stragglers with it.

Fbsunny

02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
What's wrong with his Ult? I think it's great. Flash spam when you're about to drop to move land somewhere else instead of the center. No clue about this, but I think the damage epicenter moves too, but even if it doesn't, the impact slows people and you can catch many stragglers with it.
Yes the epicenter does move, and if you also have exhaust you can make sure you land right on them assuming they don't flash out of it. (and it will do even more damage from talented exhaust)