Solo Mid: Tristana vs. Sivir

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

idecline

02-06-2010

Maybe it is just me, but I have had trouble laning 1 v 1 against Sivir in the past. I use Tristana and I have found that Sivir's range is a problem with Riccochet and Spiral Blade.

Last game however, I made 2 key changes that I think pretty much turned the tide and I was going to see what people thought about them.

1. Doran's Shield: I thought that a bit more HP and HP regen would be helpful (not to mention armor). I felt way more confident knowing that I had my HP regen, in addition to Rally. This led to my 2nd change in playstyle.

2. I played especially aggressive from the first time I saw her. The first time i was in range I hit her with exhaust, tossed my rally, and hit her w/ explosive shot. She had bought a meki pendant and pots, and she had to use her heal spell early. Between my regen and extra hp, and harassing her every chance I got early, she could never get in a rhythm with her riccochet and I soon outleveled her.

I didn't end up dominating or anything, but I had a decent game I was I think 4/4/27. This is Low elo by the way I am level 14.

I was just wondering if people had thoughts about certain champs that you can (or need) to adapt to get a strong early game when you are laning solo against them.

TL;DR
doran's shield + aggressive playstyle early game
thoughts?

ABYAY

02-06-2010

The thing with Sivir is that she can easily deal with most mid solos due to those two spells, not to mention spell shield in some situations. However, as you said, you knew you had the upper hand with the Doran's Shield. That's a huge boost to survivability early game, and Trist has roughly the same damage output as Sivir, so the bulk really helps.

I'm a big Sivir player myself, and I found she greatly punishes those that don't harass her. Her health and damage output are less than what people think. Basically, there's one vital tip to playing against Sivir. "Avoid the Boomerang Blade." If you see Sivir trying to line up a shot, move away from your creeps so that she has to either aim for you or aim for the minions and farm, rather than both happening at one time. Ricochet...not much I can say about it. She's either going to max the blade or ricochet first, usually the blade.

What you did was a good adaptation to counter the Sivir solo. The Doran's shield gives you much better surviability against her onslaught, and your aggression sets her back. She was probably afraid the whole time she was in the lane, so that early intimidation can go a long way.

zoau

02-06-2010

kk, i read this because lately i play sivir most.i dont think dorans is necessary. if sivir starts with mana reg and ricochet its about becoming a farming machine asap, maybe the easiest way to play her, pushing the enemy against his tower soon if it works.however if you get sivir to low health and have a little more than her she cant risk getting to near a trist or in fact anyone. so she either stands around and waits for the minions to come to her tower (bad farming, bad xp, bad option) or she makes a quick return with the teleport to be able to risk geting closer. then you traded a rally and an exhaust for a teleport. if you bought dorans that slows down your building strat imo but thats ye olde dorans item debate.
the jump is easy to see and most of the time means free mana to sivir. explosive shot is harder to notice for getting shield up.
+ i think you met a weak sivir player. i mean heal? i cant push a tower with heal

zoau

02-06-2010

y, aggression is key

idecline

02-06-2010

Thanks for the feedback so far. I didn't think the Sivir was especially bad (though I agree with zoau regarding heal vs. other summoner options).

TBH there was an Ashe on our team that I assumed (hoped) would take mid. The other team had an Ashe and a Sivir and I didn't really want to solo vs. either. However, I do avoid teleport in general (just a preferential thing - i usually go flash, exhaust,ignite, or rally).

Perhaps I should try using tele again. I stopped using it for the same reason I started playing Tristana - I heard that it was what high tier players did. maybe I was misinformed.

I was wondering if anyone who plays Tristana had any input.

BoomFrog

02-06-2010

tele is not nessesary early game unless your going to try a 3 vs 2 gank or maybe if your playing mid and need to go back before 6. But the spells you listed will save your life or get you kills, much more valuable in my opinion. And heal is ok but I prefer rally.

Xienwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2010

Once you are good enough to stay in lane till level 6 on just the initial purchase and Runes/Masteries, then Teleport becomes less worthwhile unless you have a champion who can backdoor/push effectively. Unless you get creative with placing Wards in ideal locations, then it remains worthwhile on gankers so you can jungle-hop deep into enemy territory.

The big key for almost any combination in mid is harassment. Hit them hard and hit them often, keep the opponent low health. Most players who wind up in mid are low health total characters to begin with, so it works well universally. The only exception is when your opponent has opted for health regen instead of mana regen. That is a good sign they are in for the long haul, so they are harder to harass, but in turn it is harder for them to harass you. Sivir is the notable exception to the rule however, as someone who knows how to use her effectively will only turn on Ricochet when it has a good chance to chain to you (so either you are standing in a poor location, or she has got it up to rank 3 or so).

I would say that you could have taken a regrowth pendant instead of Doran's, but only if the pendant upgrades to something you want anyway. Maybe a bead with the mana regen item would also be an option. But if in both of those cases you are purchasing something which wouldn't upgrade in your ideal strategy, then Doran's works best for the boost to max health as well, letting you go toe-to-toe longer.

Dogspeonlegs

02-06-2010

Just dodge boom, whcich is extremely easy....
I get life septer even if she luck hits I easily regain it back...
First I lvl explode shot and always kill back creeps keeps her from getting gold except with boom... and by her tower which u rarely get last hit...
When she waste boom I usually take a couple shots at her.
I lvl explode, rocket,expolde, rocket, expolde, ult...
If she hits half health I rocket jump exhaust expolde active and usually dies if she doesn't have heal or flash.

Most people go atk speed but it is dumb, out golding the team early with creep kills off explode makes u dominate mid too late game.

My rune build is full atl sp or full crit, masteries 21.9.0

If your pro with jump ult there is noone but TF that can give u trouble mid and maybe teemo.
Sorry bad type typing from my phone.
If u have any trist questions message me in games dogspeonlegs. I pro trist ;p

Kaydos

02-06-2010

I think it depends on the summoner spells vs summoner spells.

Personally Im a teleport/ghost sivir (because I get aura items and need to get to the grp fast, and can solo push a wave or two when I need to).

I get very scared against a trist with flash and ignite. I had a player once flash half way to me, then use the jump skill and landed just past me, ignited me, and then knocked me away from my tower towards the mid of the pack, and then I was easy game.

But yes, if youre aggresive on sivir you should do much better. Sivirs early strength is farming. Deny this and youre pretty set.

Klazzix

02-06-2010

Tell the Sivir to /dance. = WIN