Want to know why so few of us play a tank?

12345678 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ToHiGhToCaRe

03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhades View Post
Screenshot below just taken -- this is what happens when I end up trying to "tank" for the team. Even a good tank can't make up for dumb as **** carries. It's unfortunate that I can't play tank and win -- my passive ELO must be assuming that since I can win games as carry, I should ALWAYS be doing that. :/
Just because you have a Frozen Heart doesn't make you a tank. You built off-tank while the opposing Malphite built full on tank. This is why you did enough damage to carry your team, which you did, but you couldn't outweigh the terribad Teemo and lack of a real tank.

Dairuka

03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHiGhToCaRe View Post
Just because you have a Frozen Heart doesn't make you a tank. You built off-tank while the opposing Malphite built full on tank. This is why you did enough damage to carry your team, which you did, but you couldn't outweigh the terribad Teemo and lack of a real tank.
I think the team he was facing against was trolling too.

Yi had three warmogs, and it looked like he was building a fourth. Is that a backdoor Yi build?

Valhades

03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairuka View Post
I think the team he was facing against was trolling too.

Yi had three warmogs, and it looked like he was building a fourth.
Yi and Xin were premade -- and they were both backdooring quite often (towers did almost no damage).

My lack of tank items is attributed to the opposing side's lack of damage items. You don't NEED items to be the tank -- as long as you soak damage, you are the tank. With manamune, I effectively had ~3000 HP. I soaked damage, pulled aggro off the carries, and CC'ed the enemy, what else would that be besides tank?

Blitzcrank is like Cho'Gath -- by just being there, you are the tank. It doesn't matter even if you go AP Cho'Gath, the nature of your champion's skills make you the tank. The enemy will try to ignore you as best they can and crush your carries -- and you will try to stop them.

The reason we lost is because our carries were too dumb to build Madred's Bloodrazor. The only reason Ashe had Madreds is because I told them to get it mid-game, then they spent their gold on a BF Sword. I scolded them again, then EVENTUALLY they started building it, completing it at the end of the game (we lost of course). Teemo didn't even bother.

But just so we're clear -- as long as your team has 1 melee champion (Kassadin excepted), your team has a tank. They might not be a very durable tank -- but they are still going to be in the center of engagements.

Every game Sona is in, she is support. She might off-tank, or off-carry, but due to the nature of her skills and growth, she is support. Same with Blitz, Cho, or Mundo -- their skills make them a tank. If your opposition calls for less defensive items -- you aren't any less of a tank for adapting.

Dairuka

03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhades View Post
Yi and Xin were premade -- and they were both backdooring quite often (towers did almost no damage).

My lack of tank items is attributed to the opposing side's lack of damage items. You don't NEED items to be the tank -- as long as you soak damage, you are the tank. With manamune, I effectively had ~3000 HP. I soaked damage, pulled aggro off the carries, and CC'ed the enemy, what else would that be besides tank?

Blitzcrank is like Cho'Gath -- by just being there, you are the tank. It doesn't matter even if you go AP Cho'Gath, the nature of your champion's skills make you the tank. The enemy will try to ignore you as best they can and crush your carries -- and you will try to stop them.

The reason we lost is because our carries were too dumb to build Madred's Bloodrazor. The only reason Ashe had Madreds is because I told them to get it mid-game, then they spent their gold on a BF Sword. I scolded them again, then EVENTUALLY they started building it, completing it at the end of the game (we lost of course). Teemo didn't even bother.

But just so we're clear -- as long as your team has 1 melee champion (Kassadin excepted), your team has a tank. They might not be a very durable tank -- but they are still going to be in the center of engagements.

Every game Sona is in, she is support. She might off-tank, or off-carry, but due to the nature of her skills and growth, she is support. Same with Blitz, Cho, or Mundo -- their skills make them a tank. If your opposition calls for less defensive items -- you aren't any less of a tank for adapting.
Sona... off tank? *Boggled Mind*

Valhades

03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairuka View Post
Sona... off tank? *Boggled Mind*
Sure you could. eg.

-Merc Treads
-Rylais
-Rod of Ages
-Thornmail
-Warmogs
-Banshees Veil

You will no doubt have ~4000 HP, and likely 130 / 100ish~ armor/MR (57/50% reduction). Any champion can be built tanky with the right items. It's as I said in my previous post -- it doesn't matter WHAT items you buy -- it's your champion's abilities, and how you decide to use them.

In the game I posted, my opponents did not stack very many damaging items -- I was already taking very little damage from them. It would be dumb of me to keep stacking defense since I am ALREADY difficult to kill. Now if they had gotten IE/PD/Bloodthirsters or their Annie wasn't extremely underleveled, then I could see a reason to get Thornmail, Banshees Veil, or FoN.

xBombeRx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2011

i find that the best way to ensure your team will initiate with you is to tell them exactly what to do and when to do it.

like i say im going in dropping my ult and stunning them you and you drop your cc and everyone come in and do damage.

Fethur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2011

I am horrible at tanking and always end up being one.

Thank you, Tanks, for letting me stop failing at your job by proxy <3

somewhere

03-06-2011

its just not as fun too be the punching bag as it is too be the squishy
cannon, makeing enemy life bar's vanish. though props too those that
do enjoy playing tanks.

cooksta

03-06-2011

I absolutely hate when I play a tank, get an awesome intiate where everyone is firing off all there huge dmg spells on me only to have my teammates completely back off for god knows what reason and the die shortly after having my entire effort go to waste.

It happens way too often, and is supremely annoying. People play way too passively and instead of using the advantage of me absorbing damage and taunting carries and absolutely unleashing hell, they continue to focus the Malphite while Ashe silently plops away her frost arrows.

I stopped playing a tank a long time ago purely for this reason, and I've gotten all types of **** about it because I will purposefully run into a pack of 3 people to save our Ezreal from certain death, or save my taunt for the Kat who just ulted, or god forbid, build a dmg item when I feel I'm sufficently overlevelled and fed to help boost our overall damage.

It's annoying and I wish it wasn't even needed, but that's them breaks.

nivekuil

03-06-2011

And this is the reason sunfire cape was created.

12345678 ... 14