Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Want to know why so few of us play a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fifthdawn

03-06-2011

I can't stand it when my team don't initiate with me and can't read my plays.

Like few games ago, when they push a tower...and one of them recall, it becomes 5v4. The second the person recalled I go in and nobody follows.

KonFewShuN

03-06-2011

I play tanks/supports more than any other type of champ. people are extremely misinformed. sad

Katoobnyne

03-06-2011

I join a game, my four teammates all instalock squishies, they start whining "KATOOBNYNE PLZ BE TANK WE NEED TANK PLZ PLZ PLZ". I grab Shen, make it to the teamfighting phase, warp in with Stand United, initiate with Shadow Dash, and...where are my allies? Oh, they all ran away when I warped in. Um, what?

When you see Shen's bubble appear over your character, that's your cue to ENGAGE THE ENEMY, not to run away.

Next time I get stuck with a team of people who instalock squishies and demand that I tank, I'm going to pick Ashe and start stacking Warmogs on her. You want a tank, eh? Here's your bloody tank!

Alpha Sheep

03-06-2011

The answer to the thread's question is the same as "What makes this game really annoying, very frustrating, and slightly depressing?" -- the game is filled with giant jerks. People would much rather blame someone immediately after the game starts going badly, and tanks/supports are usually the very first.

Carries, on the other hand, can point at their score and say "i r got 4 kills i r better," totally ignorant to the fact that they've had mid with the cs / exp advantage and are as such much more likely to get kills.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a team that doesn't accuse each other or whine at each other and keeps playing the game to the end as opposed to someone who thanks me every time I tank.

Valhades

03-06-2011

I actually love the tank role. It's actually my favorite role.

However, I'm forced to play carry when pubbing unless I want to lose -- Because fact is, the carry's job is the hardest, and the most important. If your team has a dumb carry, you lose. If your team has a dumb tank, your carry can make up for it.

It's a sad truth -- but tanks don't impact the game significantly as carries do. That's the main reason why players won't roll with tanks, they want to kill. The only problem is -- not everybody is good at "killing". These people should play tank / support, but instead they roll with carry, forcing good players into tank roles, ultimately forcing a loss.

Screenshot below just taken -- this is what happens when I end up trying to "tank" for the team. Even a good tank can't make up for dumb as **** carries. It's unfortunate that I can't play tank and win -- my passive ELO must be assuming that since I can win games as carry, I should ALWAYS be doing that. :/

Muffinstien

03-06-2011

I can happily say that, even playing carries/DDs often (Akali, Teemo, Yi), I still give props to our tank any time we're fortunate enough to have one.

Elite Midget

03-06-2011

Of course not. They see you as too risky and being aggressive means they might die and it'll effect their K/D/A ratio's!

It's rare to find a team that will follow a tank after he's charged in and already eaten all the CC that the enemy can throw at him. Hell, I was playing as Malphite and survived nearly 5 minutes of the other team chain stunning and smacking me.

Guess what my team did despite being fully healed?

They either ignored my request to take the enemy tower(Teleport can be used for more than just defense!) where our minions had pushed at the bottom of the map, they recaleld back to buy that new item they just got enough for, or they simply didn't stick around and get some easy kills. Especially when most of the enemies were nearly dead when they finally killed me.

Still won that match but c'mon! It's a team effort and a tank can only go so far on his own!

Needless to say, I'm thinking about playing Mordekaiser now and just doing things my own way.

ToHiGhToCaRe

03-06-2011

Agree completely. +1

Ravage Savage

03-06-2011

The reason tanks are unappreciated is the majority of players don't know how to tank properly and can't recognize a good one from a bad one.

Elite Midget

03-06-2011

You know what's bad? When someone picks a tank than when a battle starts they immediatly start running away and leaves your team to die painful deaths. >_>