Want to know why so few of us play a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BowTie

03-07-2011

Maybe tank Champs should have a higher base gold/5 rate instead of a change to the assist timer?

Motion4Life

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Its funny how many people think that diving into enemy team and absorbing all the damage is called "tanking"....even funnier when it gets down to moba games.

Collin567

03-07-2011

OMG I <3 tanks even tho i dont really own any xD i justplay the free week tanks maplhite is boss this week and there is a definate leadership quality to tank it requires the most skill. Directing the damage dealers is such a hard task. Seriously I carried my team for half an hour and they were stilll running around the map doing no dmg i was like ;3 plz do some damage im playing maplhite and have the most kills :3. ARMOR PEN MAGIC PEN Get one?

Dairuka

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion4Life View Post
Its funny how many people think that diving into enemy team and absorbing all the damage is called "tanking"....even funnier when it gets down to moba games.
If we die doing our jobs, that is called tanking.

Our job duties include:
  • Posing enough of a threat to become the target of focus fire.
  • Using all forms of Crowd Control (including body blocking) to force the enemy into staying in a bad position for a team fight. (We call this initiating)
  • Using all forms of Crowd Control (including body blocking) to give your carries the safety and security necessary to down the enemy without dying themselves.
  • Being hard enough to kill, to force the enemy to waste all forms of cooldowns if they're really desperate to get that "2 second instant-gib" on you - thereby making them ineffective by the time the rest of the team forces the team fight you initiated, and guaranteeing your team a victory in the team fight.

If we die because of the fourth and final duty, especially after a flawless initiation - we still did our jobs.

So yes. That is called tanking.

Dairuka

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTie View Post
Maybe tank Champs should have a higher base gold/5 rate instead of a change to the assist timer?
A lot of tank players have been doing this regardless, getting items such as Heart of Gold, and Philosopher's Stone. Adding one more definitely wouldn't change the lane meta-game much, but it'd throw the balance of Junglers off. Tank Junglers would have a definitive advantage over non-tank Junglers.

iEklypze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shosuko View Post
Shen ults are the most likely to be thanked, followed by Amumu ulting to disrupt kat / karth / nunu ults.
Amumu ult stops none of those. Sometimes I feel so sad for this community.

And yesterday I got blamed for going 9/7/21 with tank Nunu cause I dealt no dmg. Tank is a painfully thankless job, even when you ult 4 pop it on 2 cause the two were finally gonna get to your carry. My favorite tank games have records like 0/0/22 and I don't get blamed for doing no dmg then. People need to learn real item builds and L2P

Xenos One

03-07-2011

moron of the story....carries suck.

Carries are always so bad they dont even get a "moral of the story...."

Dairuka

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEklypze View Post
And yesterday I got blamed for going 9/7/21 with tank Nunu cause I dealt no dmg. Tank is a painfully thankless job, even when you ult 4 pop it on 2 cause the to were finally gonna get to your carry. My favorite tank games have records like 0/0/22 and I don't get blamed for doing no dmg then. People need to learn real item builds and L2P
I remember having to go through that once before when I went 20/9/28 as Malphite. We still lost, and I was being blamed for Killstealing the team.

I pretty much reminded them, "Our Carries, didn't. It's not the tank's fault if he out damages the carry who can't carry."

Vlidamir

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenz View Post
Another thing is that tank items cost more then damage items (But of course, carrys most have cs.)
Nope.

The strongest armor item is 2000 (Thornmail) and the strongest magic resist is 2750 (Banshee in my opinion). Other tank items that may cost more grant nice bonuses other than armor or magic resist.

Infinity Edge is 4080, trinity force is 4070, rabadon is 3600, etc.

Azarthes

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairuka View Post
If it's a minor global reward, players might actually go out of their way to congratulate the tank who hit the, "10,000 damage without dying" milestone, "25,000 damage without dying" milestone, and the soon to be coveted more than pentakill milestone, "50,000 damage without dying."

Penta-tanked!

I'm surprised they only have milestones for carries. It's no wonder everybody wants to play the carry...
Tanks get to do awesome stuff all the time, carries just get to hit people with pointy sticks.

To make them feel better they added the 'hit everyone with your stick a lot' milestone.
That's why.