Want to know why so few of us play a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Illyria

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirkonium View Post
Ranged dps, which is most often considered the carry, is supposed to survive, which often means attacking the closest target. If this means attacking the tank at the start of a fight, then that's it. Once they get focussed by an enemy, it's the support and tanks job to protect them with CC, shields, heals,... If they fail to do that, then the carry needs to run. Focussed carry is dead carry.

In any case, it's not really ashes job to run into the middle of the enemy team and focus the enemy squishies whom will be way back behind their tanks. If anyone should do that it's the tank (except when his carry needs protecting) or an assasin/tanky dps.

Even a tank can do considerable damage to a carry if they get close to them. Thats why as a tank you most important function is to scare the **** out of the other team and next to that TO SURVIVE until at least the enemy team has used most of their big nukes/cc/etc and a won team fight is assured.

Many tanks think they do their job by running into the enemy team without thinking what they want to accomplish. They don't care if its even 5vs5. As long as they run in and die, they did there job and it's the carries fault for not killing anything.
You didn't get my point. They attack the tank not because the squishy dps is so far back, but because they simply have priority issues. You can have a Shen and an Eve hitting you - they will focus Shen. I just saw it again yesterday. You have enemy Cho with 4k health tanking the turret with his team mates around him. What is my team doing? They are tickling Cho while the rest of their team is beating them up.
I even had people telling me "Let's focus Shen, he has a Taunt". Erm, what?
And I doubt they waste a thought on surviving. I mean they are running through the enemy jungle with everyone mia. Some of them run from team fights while not taking any damage at all.
So unless I am with someone I know and who knows what to hit I rather avoid tanking.

I wish I'd get people you described there.

LZ06

03-07-2011

I can see why you'd be upset about this... but I honestly don't care
As long as I'm winning games, I don't care if my score is something like 1/4/4 or w/ever... what if someone at 2000 elo had a 100% win rate with a champion... but had more deaths than kills and assists? Would anyone question the validity of their use of that champion? No. It really doesn't matter...

Kakashik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Tanking is boring. And if your team is trash you wasted 45min tanking for nothing.

GrnEggsNHam

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle of Manias View Post
Because EVERY time I do, I get people who play carry, and deal no damage. So, I take dealing mass damage into my own hands, teammates be ****ed
I can't count how many games I've had a DPS class deal under 50K dmg in a 35-40m game.

Baddies will be bad *shrugs*

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Buy Sunfire Cape
Get assist for standing around

WalkingOnWater

03-07-2011

I only tank with premades, cause I know they know what they're doing. +1 for truth.

Exzodium

03-07-2011

I refuse to tank unless I am in a premade, I don't care if I am last on the team, I just know that I will get 2 BRs that will refuse to hit anything but the tank. And when I go in, they just bunny hop.

FDru

03-07-2011

So I'm playing Alistar, we catch 2 of the enemy team doing dragon and kill them. After, I ping middle since we haven't taken out their mid tower and our minions are almost there. We go there and I start hitting the tower and the remaining enemies show up, we're all almost full health and it's 3v5. Once they start attacking me I pulverize them and slam one into the wall, then start taking tower hits and pop my ult. I then notice my team is not helping me...

*noob1 and noob2 have run into the jungle*
*noob3 and noob4 are hauling ass up the lane towards our base*
*You have been slain*

noob1: wtf ali
noob3: don't fight at tower dude
noob2: stop feeding

me:
Attachment 130144

JustAenz

03-07-2011

Well, many people don't like to tank because they don't get any kills, are selfish and only plays what they want, instead for taking one for the team.
Another thing is that tank items cost more then damage items and carrys/dps' get more creepscore.(But of course, carrys most have cs.)

Zirkonium

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezuschryzt View Post
That's where this thing called positioning comes in.
Now that's an easy word for the most complicated process that exists in Lol. In my opinion, my whole post is about positioning.

Your post seems to suggest there's a super duper tactic called "positioning", which makes your carry invulnerable in the middle of a team fight, able to kill support and carries free of danger.

In my games my carry always dies if I don't work my ass of to slow, taunt, stun, ... everyone who tries to get at them.