[Guide] Pantheon - The Artisan of War

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yesticles

Recruiter

02-05-2010

Alright so this is my first guide, so I'll see if I can get this right the first time.

Pantheon: The Artisan of War

Background:

Far above the clouds on Mount Gargantuan resides a stalwart tribe of people known as the Stanpar, who still revere combat and war as penulimtate art forms. They remember the Runewars of Runeterra and know that the League of Legends can only repress the rising tides of violence for so long. Each member of the tribe is bred to be a disciplined and vicious warrior, preferring to battle soldiers of either the Noxian or Demacian armies only when outnumbered at least ten to one. Stanpar warriors are trained not only to be as lethal with their bare hands as the most capable martial artists, but also to fiercely wield the many relic-weapons of the tribe. Such treasures have been handed down from generation to generation, and have harnessed the mystical nature of Runeterra in their very cores. These relic-weapons are among the most dangerous in existence -- and it comes as no surprise that they have found their way to the League of Legends in the hands of Pantheon. This stone-faced warrior is a paragon of his people, his very existence an anthem of exultation to the art of combat. Pantheon found it insulting that the people of Valoran would install an organization to replace war, complete with so-called champions, without including the Stanpar. Gathering the blessings of his tribe and armed with the relics of his ancestors, he has decscended on the League to show the world a true warrior. He cares not who he fights, and cares nothing for the pageantry or prestige of a League champion, but lives only for the austere glory of battle. As long as Pantheon breathes, he thrirsts for another foe to vanquish.

''I was hoping they had more reinforcements. '' - Pantheon, standing amidst the pieces of a brutalized Noxian battalion.

I. Abilities
II. Summoner Skills
III. Runes
IV. Masteries
V. Skill Build
VI. Item Build
VII. Play Guide

I. Abilities:
Spear Shot: Pantheon hurls his spear at an opponent.
[A flat damage bonus plus 100-140% of your attack damage - 4 second cooldown]

Aegis of Zeonia: Pantheon leaps at an enemy and bashes them with his shield, stunning them in the process. Pantheon also refreshes his Aegis Protection.
[Terrible damage scaling - only 150 damage at max level, stun duration doesnt change. Only the cooldown is lowered.]

Heartseeker Strike: Pantheon unleashes 5 swift strikes to the area in front of him. Pantheon also becomes more aware of his enemy’s vital spots, allowing him to always critically strike enemies below 20% health.
[Each strike deal a flat amount plus a percentage of your attack damage over probably 2ish seconds, but scales with attack damage, and can do substantial damage late game.]

Grand Skyfall: Pantheon composes himself, and them leaps into the air to a target location, striking all enemy units in an area. Enemies closer to the center of the impact take more damage.
[At max level has close to a 2 minute CD, deals 1000 + 1.0 x AP to those at the center of the impact circle, and lowers to 33% the farther from the center the target is. From the time you cast the spell to the time you land is around 10 seconds.]

Aegis Protection (Passive): After 4 attacks or spellcasts, Pantheon will block the next normal attack made against him that deals over 40 damage.
[Will block ONE attack from a tower. Extremely useful skill for early harassment. I'll explain later.

II. Summoner Skills

Exhaust
- Currently, Pantheon is able to cast exhaust while falling on the targets when using Grand Skyfall. I feel like this will probably be changed, but for now, this spell is extremely helpful when trying to keep people within the targeting circle.

Ignite - I almost always use ignite on Pantheon because of his ability to more effectively harass champions hugging their towers. Often you'll see champions on low HP sitting near towers soaking up exp while playing Panth. An Aegis of Zeonia =>Attack =>Ignite => Spear Throw will generally kill a champion on low health, especially early game, and because of Aegis Protection, you'll block one tower shot, and can get out without taking any damage from the tower at all.

Teleport - If you'd rather be less aggressive, Pantheon can be omnipresent late game with teleport as your summoner skill. I generally stay away from teleport because Grand Skyfall should be enough to take you pretty much wherever you want to go.

III. Runes

I'm currently using:
9 Red Crit,
9 Yellow Dodge
9 Blue Cooldowns/level
3 Attack Speed Quints

Pantheons skills cost very little especially early game, and Heartseeker Strike is on an obnoxiously long cooldown, so every bit helps.

IV. Masteries

Offense
Deadliness 3/3
Cripple 1/1
Alacrity 4/4
Burning Embers 1/1 - Just because

Utility
Perseverance 3/3
Good Hands 1/3 OR if you picked teleport get Spacial Accuracy 1/1
Expended Mind 4/4
Meditation 3/3
Greed 1/1
Utility Mastery 2/2
Quickness 3/3
Intelligence 3/3
Presence of the Master 1/1

V. Skill Build

1. Spear Shot (Q)
Aegis of Zeonia (W)
3. Spear Shot (Q)
Heartseeker Strike (E)
5. Spear Shot (Q)
6. Grand Skyfall (R)

Past there, max Spear Shot, then Heartseeker Strike, then Aegis, getting Grand Skyfall whenever it is available.

Spear Shot only has a 4 second cooldown, and scales with Attack Damage. Use it whenever it is up early game.

Heartseeker Strike
also scales with attack damage, and mid-game wipes entire creep waves when placed correctly.

Aegis of Zeonia
is a great skill for ganking and harassing, but scales terribly, and isn't worth putting in more than one point.

VI. Item Build

Final Build: Brutalizer/ZerkBoots/Infinity Edge/Bloodthirster/Starks Favor OR Phantom Dancer/Last Whisper

Brutalizer is a great item for Pantheon, because it gives decent early damage, and makes his extremely long Heartseeker Strike and Grand Skyfall slightly more tolerable.

First Item:

Long Sword

Item Progression:
Long Sword
Long Sword => Brutalizer
Boots
Boots => Zerk Boots
B.F. Sword
Pickaxe
B.F. Sword + Pickaxe => Inf Edge
Vamp Scepter
B.F. Sword
Vamp Scepter + B.F. Sword => Bloodthirster

At this point, finish your items however you like, but its important to get DAMAGE first on Pantheon, then later work on attack speed.

The only reason attack speed items are the end of this build is because his Aegis Protection passive ability is only effective with high attack speed. *With high enough attack speed, Pantheon can backdoor towers effectively by keeping his Aegis Protection active often enough to absorb the majority of the tower's damage.*

VII. Play Guide

Early Game 1-6
Start by buying your Long Sword, and find a decent lane partner. This build isn't necessarily for soloing mid, and while I'm sure it could be tweaked to be an effective solo build, I suggest laning with someone. Always be harassing with Spear Shot. With only a 4 second cooldown, and a very low mana cost, you can cast it as often as it is available, and keep enemy champions either at their tower or far behind the creeps. If the harassment isn't working, you can always use Spear Shot to last hit creeps. At level 3 put your second point in Spear Shot and start coordinating with your lane partner to get a first blood. This should be easy if you have exhaust and ignite, since at least of of the enemy champions should be low on life from Spear Shot harassment. At level 4 get Heartseeker Strike, but don't use it unless trying for a kill, because it doesn't do great damage at this point, costs quite a bit of mana, and has a long cooldown. At level 6, bluepill back to base, and you should have enough to buy your Brutalizer, and at least your basic Boots of Speed. At this point, you now have Grand Skyfall, and should be looking to come out on top of a champion.

Grand Skyfall takes some getting used to, because of the delay on the channel and the drop. If anyone is pushing a tower, alert your teammates, place the center of the target behind the champion you're trying to gank, and cast it. Once the green circle appears on the ground, the other champions know you're dropping on their head, and will either move up toward the tower, or back into the middle of your circle. Also, once the circle appears, you are able to exhaust anything within that circle, which will definitely help with ganks.

Mid Game 7-12
Mid game you should be farming lanes with Heartseeker Stirke while harassing with Spear Shot, and stopping any tower pushes with Grand Skyfall. ALWAYS get golem buff, it really helps with your mobility and team effectiveness.

Late is similar to mid, I'll add details later!